Large 25" koi died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large 25" koi died

the fish was found sunday at noon. I saw it swimming on saturday night. The fish was rigid (stiff) as a board. Eyes were still in the head, checked the gills and they were white and when touched, mushy. Here are the pictures. I have no clue why it died. The only signs were it swimming near the bubbles near the airdome on saturday night. It was eating fine though and other than that, acting normal.

I have no clue how long it was dead. How long after a fish dies can you look at the gills and expect to see something worthwhile, and how long does it take for them to start the decaying process where they end up white and mushy?

Ethan
    Attached Files
    The views I have are completely representative of who I am, and may/may not be representative of clubs I may or may not be a part of.

When the fish dies, the gills no longer have any blood flow so they turn white pretty fast. Decay begins really fast too, so you probably won't learn a thing by looking at him. It looks like some fungus growing on the edges of the gills, but that could have started after it died. Sorry for your loss.

Comment

Sorry, Ethan.

Have you checked your O2 levels? Larger fish die first from low oxygen and if it was staying near the churning water, that could be a problem.
      The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
      SANDY

Comment

Originally posted by kntry View Post
        Sorry, Ethan.

Have you checked your O2 levels? Larger fish die first from low oxygen and if it was staying near the churning water, that could be a problem.

My o2 levels are pretty high right now.

pond temps actually in the two day period before it died went from 81 down to 72 or so.
        I have a 150 lpm airpump going to the bottom drain and moving bed.

I have a strong 3500 gph waterfall that really cuts the water and I have my large phoam phraxionator going. Oxygen I dont think is an issue.

I don';t have the tools to check my o2 levels.

nitrate and nitrite aren't issues. pH is around 7.2.
        The views I have are completely representative of who I am, and may/may not be representative of clubs I may or may not be a part of.

Comment

Sometimes they just die...

About a month ago an ugly (butt freakin' ugly) home bred showa croaked suddenly in our pond. The only reason it was even there was to have around as an expendable "canary" for any new purchase that we might make. 1 hour before I found it dead it had been swimming around perfectly fine with the rest of the fish, not isolating himself at all, and no indication of a problem. I went back out to the pond for no reason other than wanting to and saw him laying dead on the bottom. Netted him out and did a very thorough inspection to see what happened. The gills were stark white, not a mark on them of any kind, no indication of parasites, fungus, etc... All scales, fins, etc... were in perfect condition and he hadn't even been dead long enough for any bloating or loss of slime coat.
          He apparently had a congenital heart defect, and it simply "popped" and that was the end of that. Bled out internally, gills drained of blood, end of story.
          Larry Iles
          Oklahoma

Comment

hope it wasn't a favored one, sorry you lost it.
            are you going to open it and have a look?

edit..sorry it that wasn't an appropriate question at this time, but it always facinates me what can be learned

Comment

A couple of thing here Ethan. It seems you did water paremeter tests but have you scraped and scoped any of the other koi yet?

If this koi was hovering around the air, it could indicate some type of gill issue including possible parasites. "IF" this koi died from such, odds are others would have them as well and a scrape and scope would be the next logical step in a fault tree analysis.

Steve
              The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
              CKHPA

Comment

Because it sounds like we can't learn much from the gills of this Koi i'd suggest you bowl 2 or 3 other koi and take a peek at their gills. This should help you figure if it's a gill issue or the results of the koi being dead for a number of hours.

I'd also do a couple water changes for safe measure.
                President : GLK&GS
                Officer : NMZNA
                Certified Judge : AKJA

Comment

Originally posted by Meg View Post
                  hope it wasn't a favored one, sorry you lost it.
                  are you going to open it and have a look?

edit..sorry it that wasn't an appropriate question at this time, but it always facinates me what can be learned
                  no problem, Meg.

yeah, it was my wife's and daughters favorite, as well as the in-laws. It's name was SPEEDO becuase it was always fastest to eat when we got her 5 years ago.

at this point no, I am not opening it. I will net some other fish though and see if they are fine.

Comment

One thing that I was thinking about, how many fish do you have in the pond now? Have you checked the water parameters?
                    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
                    SANDY

Comment

One thing that I was thinking about, how many fish do you have in the pond now? Have you checked the water parameters?
                      just a slight reading of nitrate, no nitrite, alkalinity around 75, pH 7.2.....

no issues really.

I have 5,000 gallons

5 fish between 18-24 inches long
                      6 fish 12-18 inches long
                      and a few tosai.

edit: NOW 4 fish between 18-24 inches long.

:-(

Comment

How many are a few tosai?

What is a slight Nitrate level?

You're pushing the stocking level and it might be catching up with you. OR, the fish may have just died but it's something to think about.
                        SANDY

Comment

How many are a few tosai?

What is a slight Nitrate level?

You're pushing the stocking level and it might be catching up with you. OR, the fish may have just died but it's something to think about.
                          I went home and counted. I have 4 between 18-24 inches, 5 between 12-18 inches, and 4 tosai that are 6-12 inches long.

I have had MUCh higher stocking levels in the past with no issues. I am thinking it's a random death.

but I will look at the gills of the other large fish.

Comment

Just trying to cover all the bases. That's a lot of fish in a small amount of water. If something goes wrong, it's almost impossible to correct it before disaster strikes.

I hope you're right and it was a random death. Let us know what you find.
                            SANDY

Comment

Just trying to cover all the bases. That's a lot of fish in a small amount of water. If something goes wrong, it's almost impossible to correct it before disaster strikes.

I hope you're right and it was a random death. Let us know what you find.

I promise I will and thanks for the concern. I am going to drain 30% of the water and do a water change, which will allow me to catch the fish easier.

Ethan

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X