No announcement yet.

Blue Heron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, Great blues are federally protected...to some extent. THAT is exactly why I said to contact a fish and game person in your area.
    In the Southern US there is a federal law that allows people to protect their "livestock"/fish from about every predatory bird but Bald Eagles.
    So if ya want to kill the dang thing ask the law. Don't invite him/her over for a beer. Don't tell him who you are. Just inquire about the law. And tell him you want to read it, not listen to his interpretation, or others on this board.
    But personally, I quit killing them. They don't come back....but others do. Even when I would just pop them with a low powered BB gun they would still come back. I'd even knock off feathers, and they'd be abck the same day. One even had to drag his leg for a month. I had to let him eat a few after that.
    The fishing line strung around the pond worked for me.

But can the fellah that said you should hide the speaker so the bird doesn't know it is coming from a speaker tell me how a bird knows about speakers?

Comment

Luke, there is a provision for getting a shoot-to-kill permit to protect your livestock, but try getting one. After the application and the site inspection, you may be looking at a year to get a ruling. In the case of a great blue in a koi pond, its a safe wager that it just ain't going to happen.

The only heron in Hawaii is the black-crowned night heron. Strangely enough, the local cattle egrets will also eat a few fish. I never saw a cattle egret on the mainland interested in fish. I have had a minor night heron problem for years and tried to just live with it. However, a few months ago the activity increased dramatically and became unbearable. They were taking about $100 worth of fish each week. The last straw was when they ate a group of wakin goldfish broodstock which I had just imported from Chine.

As time permits, I have been working to net my ponds. Rather than put the net down at ground level and gripe with taking it off and on, I am enclosing groups of ponds in a net room that is 8 to 10 feet high, staked tightly to the ground on the sides, and with doors where needed. It is similar to the pole-and-cable technique used for building horticulture shade houses.

Using the 1-inch woven polyethylene predator netting, it also keeps out the dragon flys, most bull frogs and most cane toads. Later, I will put a 1-foot high piece of hardware cloth around the perimeter to keep out the smaller frogs and toads. I hate having so many tadpoles.

When the thing is finished, it also serves as an aviary - keeps the herons out and keeps the domestic birds in. I have golden pheasants and will eventually put cockatiels in the first structure. The second structure will be completed soon and will have mandarin ducks and either english budgies or love birds. Don't have an aviary plan for the third structure yet.

-steve hopkins

Comment

sounds good steve,
        the farm im at now has got complete netting all round.
        now it is full of holes from a big hail storm which saw hail as big as tennis balls.
        it shot holes all through the plastic on the hothouse for livebearers, thinking now they wont survive through winter as before..and ive seen photos of the bird netting weighted down halfway to the ground. still it keeps the birds at bay, probly the kinfishers will get through in coming summer. even though its been worked by the hail its still the best thing to do.

its in place with big steel poles every 10 metres and then wire runs.
        in the centre, there are Y footed poles bracing the wire up.
        it is somewhere around 200m a 80 m. woulda cost a packet but im sure its paid for itself by now. the big green mesh (about 80mm) was replaced mostly by 25 mm. hence the hail effecting it.
        hail storms like that are very rare though so i wouldnt hesitate in putting up a structure like that again.

id watch a single kinfisher eat about 10 fish a session, i think they might carry it back for the young, with ten or so birds around it would soon add up to that much a week also, most probly more.

everynow and then a night hen would get in but the dogs would soon run it down, was hard to save them once they got in.

at my last farm, i had a phonecall from the person that gives out gun licenses.
        apparently the old owner had applied bu tthen sold out.
        she basically asked me "well do you want one instead".

i told her i didnt really, and she went on to say how i could be granted one to kill vermin and the like. rural.
        someone had told her that the rats get into the yabby traps and eat all the yabbies.. i dont think that happens much, never saw it and would be surprised if they would find their way in and out easily whilst underwater.
        the real story is that cormarants on the coast are the problem but your not really allowed to shoot them, you can apply for a temporary license to shoot up to two birds a year but only if you put forward a plan and timeline to control them by other means. id be surprised if killing two birds of a flock of 30 would do a thing.
        everything had been tried. dogs, scarecrows, scar guns. i reckon you could use all of them and theyd soon wear off. on those farms near our coast youd be mad to dig a pond without planning on the netting.

might be of interest to you steve, today i finished off a great earator from a 12 volt dc motor. used better linkages and bearings. i think this one will hold up ok.

will be starting on a little paddlewheel tommorow, got a lumpy 3 phase motor that runs .33 kw, will let you know how it goes.
        right now all ive got is the motor and a knuckle on the end.

did you use pvc as a main rod and then connect the wheel to that, im thinking ill have to go stainless with that power.
        do you know what the go is with star and delta wireup?
        i know one hook up is for starting with torque or something but dont know which one?

Comment

Pat, If you dome a net over you pond and get it good and tight they cant get to your koi. Blue Herons are protected birds and you can not kill them. Like they said the are PROTECTED and the only thing you will get out of calling you local fish and game is how to keep them out of your pond. They go to a lot of trouble trying to save bird and animals that are protected, banding, rador, to get to nesting sites so I dont think they will let you kill them. There are ways to keep them out.

This past summer a friend of mine lost 3 big koi to Blue Herons, she watched them out her kitchen window and saw the the birds were banded. We live in Hogansville Ga. about 1 hours drive from Atlanta. She strung fishing line in a criss cross manner very close together over her pond and lost no more koi, she wanted to kill the herons, but thought better of it as she did not want to go to jail for killing the herons, Alot of these bird have tracking deviced implanted in them, she knew this and decieded not to take the chance.

Comment

ranskye, in the US a 'delta' connection means you have three wires coming into the facility and three separate transformers. A 'star' connection is a 'Y' connection where there are only two transformers. Delta is supposed to be better and extends the life of the motors. I can get by as an electrician with single-phase stuff but get a little lost in three-phase. When I was at a facility with a 'Y' connection, the electrician told us to connect the three paddlewheel motor leads to any of the three lugs in the box and turn it on. If the motor ran backwards, we were to switch any of the two wires and it would be OK from there.

The mini paddlewheel mentioned earlier has a 1" PVC shaft. There are slots cut in the shaft and flat strips (the paddles) are inserted through the slots. At 50 rpm and very little torque, it seems strong enough. For .33 kw, I would weld angel iron paddles to a steel pipe shaft.

-steve hopkins

Comment

My Weitech Heron distress call cost me about US$300.00 about four years ago. Make sure you get the Heron distress call and some other bird.

Comment

sorry to have hijacked another thread on heron and changed it to paddlewheels..i havent learnt how to post a new thread yet.
                so ill mention the heron for anyone ive dissapointed. ok done.

thanks steve, that does help me, one of the single phase motors is blown so i have to use the three phase one.

im not an electrician and would get my butt wooped for the things ive done.
                i once hooked up a 7 kw pump and had the thing rumbling in reverse.. put it the other way and it worked fine. so what you say sounds right. i welded a connector onto this old pump hooked her up and shes been suppling water ver since.

in regards to the paddlewhell motor, i did write down the connection years ago when i disconnected it originally but couldnt find the paper. ill call a sparky mate up and see him about it.

ill do the welding, i can fix the motor to the concrete bank even if i find enough pipe and get the right bearings. will let you know.
                its day 2 on the car wiper motor one its its still goiing.

Comment

Anybody have luck with the Heron decoys, My pest control guy came over the other day to spray ("All Natural Organic Pesticides") to the perimeter of my house and noticed that all my koi were gone and suggested getting a decoy Heron. He went on to tell me that his father experienced the same ordeal and one of his fathers buddies suggested getting a decoy heron. He then went on to say that his father hasnt had a problem since.

http://www.wingsupply.com/shop/Scrip...asp?SKU=5960CD

This is the one I am considering getting Below is another company's sales pitch for a similar decoy.

"Protect your Koi & Goldfish from the voracious appetite of the Great Blue Heron.These birds are territorial. If they think the pond is already inhabited by another heron, they will not intrude"

Do you guys/gals think this is a solution or am I just wasting my money

Comment

I have never used the decoy. I have seen a second heron fly in and drive away the first bird.

-steve hopkins

Comment

Decoys are useless. I have in fact seen 20 or more Blue Herons standing together by a cannal. Waste of money

B.Scott
                      Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Comment

I agree decoys are not effective. I had a friend who had one. A live heron came & did a mating dance, very erotic according to her. But at least it had something more interesting on its pea brain than eating her koi.

Comment

... Unless the dancing made him hungry There are times when Herons are territorial and will avoid their own sort. At other times they looking for mates or grouping up before migrating and will tolerate each other with ease. Static decoys tend to lose their effectiveness (if any) rather quickly. Should a bird feel intimidated, it will quickly learn that the decoy poses no threat and simply ignore it.
                          As I said before, here where I live the herons are thick as flies. While the ones in I have seen in the US tend to be quite shy of people, the European gang will simply step out of your way without getting spooked. I have actually had them stand next to me when I was angling and pluck the catch from my line as I tried to remove the hook.
                          I only had trouble in the very beginning. I then strung a fine meshed net over the pond and haven't seen them since. All my fish are over 20" so I no longer net the pond and (knock on wood) don't expect any more trouble. I do have the advantage that the birds aren't short of food here as there is plenty of places for them to feed with a rich abundance of prey without having to encroach into a walled yard filled with barking dogs and kamikaze cats. Actually had our insane kitty jump on the back of the very last Heron to enter the yard... but Yoda doesn't count as he's kind of a retard

B.Scott

Comment

My Wife brought up a good question. How do the zoos deal with this kind of problem?

Comment

Most of the zoo's I have visited keep the fish indoors in aquaria (some as large as ponds). I can well imagine all sorts of outside dangers to fish like Herons, Egrets, Cormorants and Pelicans. I'm willing to bet thet fish chosen for outside are either unpalitable or expendible.

B.Scott

Comment

BS,
                                How much for that retarded cat...or its kittens?

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                                Working...
                                X