No announcement yet.

Blue Heron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a loss of a number of koi to a heron (he looked really magestic, though, standing at the edge of my pond) I netted. I did not "tuck it in" around the edges, however, thinking that this is a bird, and he isn't going to figure out where the hole was.

The next morning I woke up to a very large bird stuck in my netting from the underside! He had assessed the situation, had maneuvered himself under the net, and only when he realized that he could no longer fly away did he panic.

In case you haven't been close to one of these birds (ie unentangling it from netting) you might not have understood that their beaks are about a foot long. I am not sure which of us was more unenthusiastic about the prospect of being that close. I managed to get him free without any damage to the elegant bird or my fish.

After that, I did a more thorough job of securing the net, three feet above the pond edges, resting, for esthetic reasons, on the gnarliest pieces of driftwood I could find. It is not visible from my deck above the pond level, which is important, because koi do not look as lovely if you have to stare at them through chicken wire! So far so good.
    ChrisC

Comment

Hi Chris,

I really want to smoke one of these suckers and have it a future koi club meeting for an appetizer. So wack it with a 2X4 and put it in the freezer. I will either come to your place to pick it up or meet maybe in Ellensberg.

Comment

I wish I had known you were into heron pate (can't do the accent on this computer!) John--I had the perfect opportunity to snag some for you!!
        ChrisC

Comment

We know you're kidding, but...

Great Blues were nearly hunted to extinction until the federal gov'ment stepped in with the Lacey Act and the Migratory Bird Treaty Act during the early part of the 20th century. However, they were hunted for their feathers and were seldom, if ever, eaten. They are reported to taste terrible - probably due to their diet. Besides fish and frogs, they eat quite a few rodents. They are also known to be a major predator of baby alligators.

-steve hopkins

Comment

Yes it's true. Herons are one of several birds doing well again today due to the laws and the fact that women hardly wear hats anymore.

They are really attractive birds--four foot plus wingspan and all, and I would have no quarrel with them if they did not hunt my koi!
            ChrisC

Comment

Well yesterday morning I was paid another visit by Mr. Heron but to his surprise there was absolutely nothing left in my pond (Greedy SOB). How long do you guys/gals say that it will take before Mr. Heron gives up on my pond as a food source?

Comment

I think it is safe to say it will stay away as long as you don't have fish in it.

B.Scott
                Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Comment

... but they live for 20 years and never forget a good meal.

-steve

Comment

With such a small brain they WOULD remember that!
                    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Comment

I heard somewhere that they taste like a cross between a Spotted Owl and a Bald Eagle!
                      Semper Fi
                      Koi-Unit
                      " Da Best" Chapter
                      xxx

Comment

Im sorry, but I would kill the bird, protected or not. You come in my yard you're open game. This goes for people also.

Keep it simple, keep it straight Koi-Bito.com

Comment

Go for it Tom. Just don't use a gun on either one of them.

-steve hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C
                            Im sorry, but I would kill the bird, protected or not. You come in my yard you're open game. This goes for people also.
                            I felt exactly the same way, but have since decided to outwit this damn bird by building an enclosure similar to this one
                            http://www.ncsu.edu/jcraulstonarbore...00-pixels.html

Comment

I dont blame you as that would look good and the heron can live. I dont like the darn birds myself but they gotta eat, I just dont want them eating my koi. I just meet a couple this past weekend and they are were having trouble with a heron and he shot it, ask me not to say anything and of course I would not, but it sure would have been better if he could have built something like that over his. His pond is so close to the backwaters that I am sure he is going to have this problem again. I really hope he does not shot every bird that comes to his pond.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X