Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sakai Kohaku

Dear guys

Now that our koi show is over, I thought I should share with you guys my new addition to the family. She (sex is guaranteed by Sakai) is a tosai and is still in the mudpond. I hope to visit her this autumn and bring her home.

She is an offspring of Miss Universe (Sakura Bloodline).

Share with me your comments and please do not hesitate to shoot at will.

Thanks.

dtbh
    Attached Files

Really thick body on this Kohak, pattern is nice. If the mask was a perfect round then I would say super nice Kohak. The fish looks stressed but, I think it will clean up when it has time to rest. Cool buy. Also any concerns about leaving the fish in Japan?
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Hi Doc,
      Even though she is still a tosai but already have good conformation.
      Great shiro. Beni look a bit hard in the pic.

SF

Comment

I have old-fashioned taste in Kohaku pattern, and so I do not like the Beni around her right eye. I've been trying to fond something else to fault, but am having a very hard time finding anything. She is going to be an amazing companion for your Shiro Utsuri. In a couple of years, the two swimming together would be cover shots. Congratulations on acquiring such a fine one.

Comment

Originally posted by aquitori
          Really thick body on this Kohak, pattern is nice. If the mask was a perfect round then I would say super nice Kohak. The fish looks stressed but, I think it will clean up when it has time to rest. Cool buy. Also any concerns about leaving the fish in Japan?
          Putting kois in mudponds is always a dicey affair. Since Kentaro-san offered the service I suppose he will take care of her the best way they know how. Meanwhile I will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks and regards,
          dtbh

Comment

Originally posted by swordfish
            Hi Doc,
            Even though she is still a tosai but already have good conformation.
            Great shiro. Beni look a bit hard in the pic.

SF
            This is the first time I bought a koi from a photo. I have never seen the koi in the flesh but from what a fellow koi hobbyist (who was at Sakai Hiroshima at that time) described, the beni is persimmon red...the type I like. Anyway I just loved the body.

Thanks.

dtbh

Comment

Originally posted by dtbh
              Putting kois in mudponds is always a dicey affair. Since Kentaro-san offered the service I suppose he will take care of her the best way they know how. Meanwhile I will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks and regards,
              dtbh
              Also, what is the mudpond fee if you dont mind me asking? Also, do you have a choice of which size mud pond the fish goes in?
              The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Originally posted by aquitori
                Also, what is the mudpond fee if you dont mind me asking? Also, do you have a choice of which size mud pond the fish goes in?
                Nope. No choice whatsoever. The price actually includes the mudpond fee.

Comment

I worked with Kentaro for 2 years. I wouldn't give the well being of your koi out in the mudponds a second thought (worry)!

It's gonna be a giant, and i agree it looks stressed right now. I love the koi myself. Some of the best quality koi get easily stressed. So I think you have a double edged sword. You know it's a great koi, and that you'll have to pamper it

getting it transported to a show so she doesn't stress. Good luck and get us a photo this fall.
                  Dick Benbow

Comment

The most valuable element of pattern is balance. Take your hand and cover the front half of the fish- study the pattern. Then remove your hand and cover the back half and study the front pattern. You now have your answer.
                    This is a very helpful technique when you are buying fish by picture or going a judging exercise in any of the koi magzines. JR

Comment

Thanks JR for the valuable advice. Will keep this in mind.

Dick, it is reassuring to know the ability and expertise of Sakai Hiroshima in mudpond management that you had experienced firsthand. I hope I will be able to "receive" her during ikeage this autumn and I will definitely post any photos of her whenever they are available.

Thanks again and warmest regards,

dtbh

Comment

To : DTBH,

Could you tell me how would you take your Kohaku with you when you fly home ? Do you have pre-booked for the flight or you need to notify the airlines that you would have kois with you.

A answer will be a great appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by richard
                          To : DTBH,

Could you tell me how would you take your Kohaku with you when you fly home ? Do you have pre-booked for the flight or you need to notify the airlines that you would have kois with you.

A answer will be a great appreciated.
                          Dear Richard, soory for the late reply as I just returned from a conference in Bangkok with the main topic being "Vaccines for all ages". I was on the lookout for a vaccine for KHV but the only one anywhere near KHV is a HPV....................hard luck!!

To answer your question, I do not need to bring the koi home myself. The breeder will make the necessary arrangement and courier the koi to me or more commonly to a local dealer who has dealings with them.

Comment

Thank you very much. I always wonder whether the airline allow to send live koi when we check in. It will be cheaper if we can. Otherwise we need to wait until the dealer has a bigger shipment then they can be included. And it will save a lot of work and time to do the paper work at the airport.

Anyway thanks for your reply.

Comment

Update on my kohaku

It has been about 6 months now and I managed to see this koi in the flesh as a nissai during my trip to Japan a couple of weeks back. I must admit that I am happy with the outcome. Her shiro and beni are good, and she measured in the high 50's (cannot remember 56 or 58cm).

She was supposed to come back last Friday but Sakai Hiroshima "forgot" her. Due to their error Kentaro-san allowed me to put her in the mudpond for another year. Perhaps a good reason to go to Japan again next year?

Attached is the only copy of a photo of her taken by a fellow hobbyist. Hope you enjoy her as much as I do.

Cheers,
                              dtbh
                              Attached Files

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X