Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bead filters as the only BIO filtration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bead filters as the only BIO filtration?

anybody here use bead filters only as BIO filtration? (of course there will be skimmers and bottom drains and vortex chambers)

i plan to use two 30" hayward sand filters filled with ultra bio media and one 24" hayward sand filter filled with the same media for a 14000 gallon pond.

do you think that is enough BIO filtration?
    (space is very limited)

Aragorn:

Not sure about the volume of you bio media filters however, why not send the water to a Bakki Shower set up...Trays will be over pond so will not take any extra space... If noise is a concern place bottom tray 1-2" above surface of water and noise will be minimalized... My Q tank is set up this way and you can hardly hear the water... If you have any questions re: bakki showers go to Maurice Cox's thread "In prize of Bakki Showers" I think he actually meant "Praise"..

Aloha! Mike

Comment

Mike--while we are on Bakkis--do you run the water from your bottom drain directly into your Bacteria House media/shower setup? Everyone who is doing this now talks about it, but I don't exactly get how it handles all of the solid wastes. What are you seeing?

OOPS--sorry Aragorn, didn't mean to hijack your thread....
      ChrisC

Comment

Chris:

Water goes from bottom drains to pump to bead filters to Bakki Showers...Turn over is 3.0 times on 900 gal. pond and 2.5 on 1700 gallon pond... BacHouse Media turned a light beigh after 3 months and has remained the same for a year now, except for the top layer, in the top tray exposed to direct sunlight, which turned black...no clogging.

Water goes from bottom drain directly to Bakki Shower in Q-tank but tank is only 150 gallons and there's no fish in it yet...am seeding with backwash water from bead filters

Aloha! Mike

Comment

I use and install Bead filters with their "Biological filter only" reputation in mind. They work very well in this application, but then, they are designed and plumbed for beads unlike the swimming pool filters you mention.

Reading up a little on "Ultra Bio Media" sounds like a lot of marketing hype and little scientific fact. "3-5 times the surface area from other media? Poppycock--show me the tests. Or this blurb" Additionally, beneficial bacteria is able to build up into a bacterial matrix due to the excellent interstitial spacing within the media." Really--they reinvented the wheel?

You may want to look at this page for a fairer comparison http://www.wernersponds.com/biofiltermedia.htm

Since I have no personal experience with BAKKI and far infrared rays, I'll leave it alone for the users to decide wether it's worth the money.
          Werner

Pond-On (tm)

Comment

here's my opinion of Bubble Beads. They are not biofilters! they are mechanical.
            do they grow bacteria? yes? if i run them and allow them to build up bacteria will it offer bio filtration? yes. If i back wash them will i get rid of the good bacteria.
            not completely but it will adversely affect it's colony.

here's how i operate mine. back wash every day. If i pay all that $$$$ to catch organics and debris do i want to keep this stuff in the system day after day?
            I don't!

my advice is to have a mechanical system and a bio system. anytime you expect one or the other to do both jobs you compromise each one to less than full efficiency.

and yes I run a bakki shower. right after my settling vortex. If it claims to do a great job with all the gunk you can feed it, can you imagine the job it could do if it didn't have to deal with a heavy mechanical load?

just my point of view. In addition to these items I also have 3 large tony prew vortexes with heavily oxigenated j-mat ( that I drain daily). yep your right the guy is fanatical...but the koi's health is never compromised, they look great and like my bonsai, I like hands on daily to care for my charges! ( our cat gets treated pretty good also-he's a maine coon from show bloodline)
            Dick Benbow

Comment

well, i got the idea from aquaultraviolet.com re: ultima II

http://www.aquaultraviolet.com/filtration.html

they (AquaUltra) claim that the ultima II units need only a vortex before it for it to act as a biofilter. if you check their sizing, you'll see that they have this UII 20000 rated for 20000 gallons, (they explicitly claim that this is not an overexaggeration of capacity) of course i dont believe them and i proceeded to add to my layout two units of the same size and then another the same size as the UII 10000 - thats 30000 "capacity" on a 14000 gallon pond. im thinking of putting japmats in the vortex themselves as "backup" i can aerate these too. but i figure i can put no more than 10 jap mats in the vortex units 1meter diameter by 1meter-4feet deep.

this is a pretty big pdf file but on page 8 of 22 (page 5 actually) is where they claim that their filter capacity are not exaggerated.

http://www.aquaultraviolet.com/instr...aIIInstall.pdf

Comment

bakki showers.

im sure they are very very efficient but i really dont know how to hide one. this is an aesthetics priority pond.

besides the fact bacteria house is not available here. i can use other media though, and use some sort of basket as a shower, but again, its terribly ugly

Comment

Aragorn:

Tried to post picture of invisible bakki shower without success...If you email me at: [email protected] I'll email you two different pictures of bakki showers that you can't see...

Aloha Mike

Comment

ive sent you an email ...
                    thanks a lot for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Werner
                      Reading up a little on "Ultra Bio Media" sounds like a lot of marketing hype and little scientific fact. "3-5 times the surface area from other media? Poppycock--show me the tests. Or this blurb" Additionally, beneficial bacteria is able to build up into a bacterial matrix due to the excellent interstitial spacing within the media." Really--they reinvented the wheel?
                      thanks for the link ...

AU.com doesnt even have the surface area available ... its apparently top secret. but i know someone who tried to measure the surface area, and i think it beat the kaldnes media by a little. the main difference here being, the UBM is sinking

Comment

Aragorn,

The Aqua UV Ultima II is a very good filter (3rd generation design). They work as advertised with a low fish load for the nominal volume they can handle. The Aqua UV materials do not talk of fish load; this is where most inexperienced people fall into the trap.

Filter sizing by pond volume is just one element of the equation: one must consider environmental polution (leaves, pollen, pine needle, dust, etc.) and most importantly the fish load. The bio-filtration capacity of the filter system must be able to handle the ammonia released by the fish respiration and the protein (mostly) in from their food intake (some installations I know have a filter volume that is 2-3 times the volume of the pond itself).

I recommend a bead filter as mechanical filtration in front of a biological filter such as Bakki Shower, J-mat chamber, and/or Kaldnes moving media (such as Art Lembke's system). Providing they are flushed fequently, in that position, bead filters work very well indeed.

If you are limited in space and must rely on bead filtration only, a dual system (ideally of equal capacity) is much better. Thus each system can backfulshed on alternate days. This reduces the yo-yo effect on ammonia levels due to the flushing of some of the nitrifying bacteria during the backflush.
                        Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur
                          If you are limited in space and must rely on bead filtration only, a dual system (ideally of equal capacity) is much better. Thus each system can backfulshed on alternate days. This reduces the yo-yo effect on ammonia levels due to the flushing of some of the nitrifying bacteria during the backflush.
                          thanks arthur, what do you mean by dual system? using 2 or more of the bead filters so that i can backflush alternately?

or do u mean bead filter - conventional filter combo

Comment

Aragorn,

If in your situation you have no choice, for whatever reason, but use bead filters, used at least 2 of them so that they can be flushed on alternate days.
                            Arthur

Comment

Aragon...you asked....

anybody here use bead filters only as BIO filtration? (of course there will be skimmers and bottom drains and vortex chambers)

Yes I use an Aquadyne 4.4 bead filter on a pond of 4487 gallons as the only biofiltration (except for skimmer pads and pond surface area). Two 4 inch bottom drains feeding a sprirex vortex (yep...apparently incorrect...should have had each line to a seperate chamber). The 4.4 is rated for 14000 gallons....probably would be correct to say 11,000 though. So more than twice the filtration pond wise. Turnover rate is about once an hour and I have an 80 watt UV.
                              Gee, always thought my fish looked good, heck even hold their own in shows, water parameters where they should be, and never have problems in the pond. Guess my age is causing my eyesight to play tricks on me.
                              I also take care of a couple thousand koi at a friends business. Aquadynes are the only biofiltration used there also. Koi look great....very few problems.
                              To answer your question...yes it works for me. Do I want alot more filtration stuff to hide...no.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X