yellow headed tosai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yellow headed tosai

Looking to get some experience from those who have purchased yellow headed tosai.

do they ever clear up? Is it because they are males? Can it be they colored up from a recent mudpond experience.

Please share your thoughts or experiences.
    Dick Benbow

Greetings from Missouri....

My experience with yellow tosai is I try to stay away from them, what I have learned is that usaully yellowed tosai has a 95% chance of not clearing up. Now if the yellowness of the head is consistant with the fins and the body then there is a greater success of the fish completely clearing up. Now my question is this, which is far better to take a gamble on a tosai or a sansai with yellow head?
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Originally posted by dick benbow
      Looking to get some experience from those who have purchased yellow headed tosai.

do they ever clear up? Is it because they are males? Can it be they colored up from a recent mudpond experience.

Please share your thoughts or experiences.
      Hi Dick,

My Kokugyo had a yellowish head when I bought it at about 23 cm. A few weeks in a small 10 ton concrete pond and less food cleared it up like you wouldn't believe. There were others out of the same batch that never cleared up, but this kohaku was truly shocking in the transformation that it made.
      Brian Sousa
      Koi-Bito Forum

Comment

From what I understand about yellow heads in tosai, it can be down to one of two factors... a yellowish discoloration of the pigment in the head or a translucence of the skin covering the head allowing the yellow of the skull to shine through. The later can possibly improve as pigmentation of the head deepens while the former will most likely remain the same.

B.Scott
        Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Comment

Thank-you all for your imput. Brian was surprised to hear about your kohaku. Would have never quessed!
          Dick Benbow

Comment

yellow headed tosai

I purchased two yellow headed tosai Shiro Utsuri thru local dealers in 2003.
            One from Omosako (one of the best Shiro Utsuri breeders in Japan) and other
            from Ogata. Please note that both have excellent Shiro on their bodies -
            But their heads were really "yellow". I bought the Omosako when it was still in Japan.

They both were around 11" when I took them home in May 2003 -
            After 6 months they lived together in the same pond and I feed the
            same food (HiSilk-21), the Ogata clears up completely as you can't
            tell the different shiro betwen body and head. But the Omosako
            does not clear up at all.

So seems to me it is not due to the quality water or food, but more
            related to their blood line - But again, Omosako is best known for
            Shiro Utsuri ;-))

Comment

Do you hv pictures of ogata and omosako shiro utsuri ??

Comment

yellow headed tosai

I do - Trying to post them, but when I click the "insert picture" icon,
                it asked me to enter the URL - I don't have URL for these pictures,
                they are just in my local driver on my labtop - If you can, give
                me your email I can send them to you and hope you can post them
                for us -

Comment

Originally posted by dinh
                  I do - Trying to post them, but when I click the "insert picture" icon,
                  it asked me to enter the URL - I don't have URL for these pictures,
                  they are just in my local driver on my labtop - If you can, give
                  me your email I can send them to you and hope you can post them
                  for us -
                  Sure, you can send it to [email protected] and i will post them for you.

Comment

Dick, the closest I got is a yellow headed shiro Utsuri from Omosako. I bought it as tosai and head was white and body as well. 2 months later head truned yellow and then the body turned yellow. I have heard that if head and body turn yellow then it ill come back. Well mine did not too long ago. I dunno if it had a lot of fat on body or what. But I did fast it for 6 weeks in winter. This could have been it as when koi fastens it loses a think layer of body fat.

To this date fish is still white. Patiently waiting for sumi to come up..

Joe
                    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Dinh, here are ur pictures.

I like the body of the omosako and the broad mouth too. May we know the sizes and growth rates of both kois ? I recently got an omosako but it is still in the dealer pond rite now. If i remember correctly, it also has yellow head like yours and still tosai wth sumi emerging from rear to the front. Some of the rear sumi has already fully developed.

I also saw ogata shiro here in another dealer pond, yes it has whiter skin like yours, especially the head looks very clean.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I bought a 47 cm. omosako shiro with yellowish head just like yours, it cleared up after ~ 3 months in my pond.
                        Bancherd

Thai Koi-Keepers' Group

Comment

Hi guys

From what I have read from Kokugyo Vol 2 by Mamoru Kodama whether tosais with yellow discoloration of the head will clear or otherwise is especially dependent on their sex. This color is apparently due to carotene accumulation. If the tosais are females and when they reach maturity this carotene is required for egg development and as such one would expect the head to clear up then. This will not happen in males for obvious reasons.

Therefore to predict safely that the head will clear up with time is to sex the koi correctly.

Cheers.

Comment

I appreciate hearing your stories. The reason I asked is I have a Shusui jumbo tosai to look at this weekend at a local dealer that came from Ogata's jumbos.
                            It reportedly has a yellow head. My experience has been negative so i wasn't
                            getting too excited.
                            Dick Benbow

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                            Working...
                            X