Maurices open day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maurices open day

Maurice has been very busy and I pointed out that he had neglected this board recently. He told me that while balancing a bottle of wine he had tried to post on here about his open day but after typing a few pages and thinking he had posted it successfully it all went horribly wrong.
    Anyhow I thought it might be of interest that viewers here had a quick look at Maurice's recent post(s) on koichat.com. I'm sure there are some here who view all the boards but there maybe a few who don't. I'm sure all would agree that for a British breeder in his first real year to produce 9 month old immaculate chagoi of over 50cm it's quite some achievement. This year we will all have to watch this space................

Stuart

Well done Stuart and just for some of those guys who want a look hopefully the link below will work...have a look i am sure you will not be disappointed !!!!!

http://www.madaboutkoi.com/cgi-bin/d...rum=DCForumID9
    Regards

Gazza

Comment

Thanks Sturart, the post I had typed and lost was about the start of my breeding season. it included a photo of a row of spawning nets in the mud ponds.

I'm sure the folks who view the board will be interested in the open weekend and I'll post some photos after the date, but my post was not to 'tout' for business.

Four sets under way at thew moment and more to come next week.

http://www.koi-uk.co.uk

Comment

Hello There

I'm a hobbyist from the Netherlands and new to this forum. This due to the fact that for some reason the forum would not accept me. I could not sign up because of some technical error. Thanks to Brian Scott I'm here finally.

I have a question for all off you. I have been trying to find out what material the spawning nets are made off, and how they are suspended, and if weights or frames need to be used?

Sincerely,

Regenmeneer

Comment

hey maurice

once the fry are hatched from the spawning net do you remove and release them into the mud pond straight away or do you wait till they are a certain size than remove the white temporary housing in the picture.

tewa
          There is no such thing as a zero maintenance pond but the closer you get the more time to enjoy your koi. Soft low TDS water is the perfect pond water.
          http://www.tewakoi.com

Comment

Regenmeneer, I buy my spawning nets in Japan, either brining them back with me, or having them sent over. They are supported by strings to overhead bars and have frames in the bottom to weight them down.

Tewa, once I see the fry free swimming, I drop the net below water level and let them swim out when ready.
            Maurice.

Comment

hi maurice

thanks for sharing, I am planning on trying some spawning next season. Unfortunately i don't hink i will have the room to build as many mud ponds as you. I have seen your site and love your work. I was planning of putting a 50 ton liner pond just for raising fry, i was planning to put 5 to 8000 fry in the pond. I just want to ask is it absolutely necessary to use red clay at the bottom, does the layer of clay at the bottom create an eco system that helps deal with waste from the fry. Could i just make soft water for the pond and not use any clay but instead add calcium montmorrolite powder clay, maybe even add some sacks of zeolite to help with the ammonia levels a little. Do you add freshwater to these mudponds everyday?

What number of koi do you keep in your mud pond as they grow from 5cm to say 30cm?

Sorry maurice lots of questions, am excited to start breeding
              There is no such thing as a zero maintenance pond but the closer you get the more time to enjoy your koi. Soft low TDS water is the perfect pond water.

Comment

Hello

Maurice, thank you for answering my question. Can you tell me what kind of material the spawning nets are made off?

Sincerely,

Regenmeneer

Comment

Tewa, 5 - 8,000 fry will do well in 50 tons. First cull I bring them down to around 300 - 400 and final cull 100 if you have enough of the quality you are looking for.
                  It depends on what you are after, you can raise many more if you like, but they will all suffer poor growth if you keep too many.

A liner pond will do fine, don't worry about a clay bottom.

Regenmeneer, the nets are made from nylon, or similar man made material, you can make them yourself from net curtain material, but it needs to be REALLY fine to stop the new born from swimming through.

Gota go feed the ponds now.
                  Maurice.

Comment

Hiya Chris! Glad to see ya made it to the forum. Welcome aboard!

Maurice is correct about the spawning nets needing to be quite fine. I put some 3 week old fry in a net with 0.6 mm hole in it and lost 90% of them because they swam through the netting. It's a tough way to sort for size instead of quality.

Fine curtain netting (vitrage) made of polyester will do as well. You may have to weight the bottom to keep it from blowing about in the water though. Those little weights they use for holding down garden table cloths do quite well!

B.Scott
                    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Comment

hey maurice

many thanks for your information. Yes I would like to aim for around 50 to 100 in the final cull if i have that number of quality ones. The first cull is at 4 weeks, when do you do your second and final cull maurice? I noticed that most fry ponds are shallow, at momotaro its around 50cm. But due to lack of surface area i will have to go with depth of around 1m at the shallow end to 2m at the deep end to make up for volume. I wonder if that is good or bad for pH and temperature swings. What do you say maurice.

Is it a good idea to keep adding in fresh low tds water 24/7?

many thanks for the info again maurice

tewa

Comment

Hi Tewa,

I also thought you could compensate area with depth to get a greater volume but it does not work. The food the fry need only grows in the top 40 to 50cm of water and the bottom water is useless in the first few weeks of life. Fill the pond to about 50cm at first and after the fry are about two to three weeks old increase the depth by filling the pond more. Shallow ponds gives much better growth and food. Area is the secret, large surface more food and warmer water.
                        Jaco Vorster
                        South Africa

Comment

Depending on what you read, many books say that newly hatch fry can only survive in 18" of water, any deeper and the pressure will kill them. I'm not totally convinced of this myself but as I say, it's written in several of the books I have.

Comment

hi jacovors and daz

thanks for the reply, am sad to hear that i can't compensate depth with area to get the volume. would the shallow pond suffer more of a pH and temperature fluctuation during the day?

tewa

Comment

Never checked PH fluctuations but once the fry are hatched they are quite resilient against tempereture fluctuations.Food and space are the most important.
                              Jaco Vorster
                              South Africa

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X