No announcement yet.

bakki shower or nexus filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the moment, Larry, I think everyone in NJ is wondering if Spring is a myth. They've had more snow than Buffalo.

Comment

Yeah Mike. We've been setting records around these parts too. I can't remember one like this in at least 20-25 years.
      Larry Iles
      Oklahoma

Comment

It sounds like your taking your Koi pretty seriously. 1st 3500 gallons isn't enough to do what you want unless you watch the number of fish you put in your pond. If you can, go bigger, deeper, or raise the pond a couple of feet above ground.

I would take a shower over a moving bed filter any day of the week. I have run both here and the shower out preforms the M/B hands down. Plus you can put an extractor on the outlet of the shower and now you have an excellent foam fractionator. (see picture)

I prefer to use BD water for my showers as a shower will super saturate the water with oxygen and bottom water tends to be lower in oxygen than surface water. I would run the BD water through some kind of settlement, vortex, or sieve, then pump to the shower.

Media, I prefer feather rock but have used lava rock also. If you have enough flow you won't have any problem with lava rock. Feather rock is lighter and more porous, there fore working better.

I think flow is important for a shower. I believe you need 2000 gph flow for every sq foot of surface area in your tray. So if you were using trays 1 by 4 feet, 4 sq feet of surface area I would recommend a min. of 8,000 gph through it.

Yes, a shower is loud, wet, and obtrusive. And in the winter if not covered or some how protected from the elements it will cool your water. So if used year round you will want to cover it some how.

One finial note, I use my skimmers for mech/fines filtration. Feeding it to bead filters or DIY sand/gravel filters.

You can see how I set up my shower and foam extractor here.

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/pond-c...ion-re-do.html
        Steve
        My Koi Pond
        http://www.redroselofts.com/koi-pond.htm

Comment

Birdman

So your shower acually doesn't flow directly into your pond it goes into a filter afterwards. i thought it had to be teh last part in the filter system.

ok so what type of filtration do you think i should use if the stocking density is to much, i plan on doing 10% water changes every other day. and i will be hooking up a filter skimmer, but why do i need a seperate pump for that?

during the winter i am just going to have a bubbler going.

Papabear who is this guy in NJ your talking about

Comment

Originally posted by glupo View Post
            Birdman

So your shower acually doesn't flow directly into your pond it goes into a filter afterwards. i thought it had to be teh last part in the filter system.
            No, it actually goes straight to the pond. When I did this set up I wasn't sure how well the foam extractor would work, so I piped the outlet line into an empty tank to catch any excess foam. The tank is empty. The foam extractor worked so well that no foam reaches the tank.

All I use for biological filtration is the shower. Then I use DIY sand/gravel filters off the skimmer for mech/fines filtration.
            Steve
            My Koi Pond

Comment

Papabear who is this guy in NJ your talking about
              I think Larry was referring to Quality Koi/Nisei Koi Farm in southern part of the state, at Carneys Point. Check out their website.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
                I think Larry was referring to Quality Koi/Nisei Koi Farm in southern part of the state, at Carneys Point. Check out their website.
                Yup. I had a bout of synaptic flatulence and fergot my spel chekr
                It'd be tough to find a closer, better place for him to go check out, don't you think
                Larry Iles
                Oklahoma

Comment

yeah i check out nisei once before but it was at end of season when their koi were back in the greenhouse.

Birdman that is sweet, i'm thinking that i will do a vortex filter with some matala just to catch the solids off the main drain. from the vortex through a pump into a shower into to pond.
                  Than off the skimmer filter have it flow through pump in to a DIY 50 gallon barrek with some gravel and fine matala. than have that return into pond by jets to make it have a good current. how does this all sound

How much square foot of feather rock should i do for 3500gal, because i will also have the matala helping out.

Comment

How much square foot of feather rock should i do for 3500gal, because i will also have the matala helping out.
                    I use 1 cubic foot to 400 gallons as a rule of thumb, but this is with a 4 tray shower with 2000 gph flow per sq foot. So for you, using feather rock, if you used 3 foot showers, 4 of them, which would be 12 cubic feet flowing 6000 gph that would be more than enough.
                    Steve
                    My Koi Pond

Comment

Birdman that is sweet, i'm thinking that i will do a vortex filter with some matala just to catch the solids off the main drain. from the vortex through a pump into a shower into to pond.
                      If you swap the Matala for static K1 you will be able to clean it by just turning air on and closing/opening some valves. Way easier than hosing matting down!
                      Ed

Comment

Originally posted by eds View Post
                        If you swap the Matala for static K1 you will be able to clean it by just turning air on and closing/opening some valves. Way easier than hosing matting down!
                        I agree, I hate matts. My favorite is a micro screen.
                        Steve
                        My Koi Pond

Comment

Originally posted by Birdman View Post
                          I agree, I hate matts. My favorite is a micro screen.
                          A little trickier and more expensive to DIY though!
                          Ed

Comment

I would say based on the location and whether you are going to on/ off it during winter etc. matters to decide whether you should opt shower or nexus.

Comment

This thread is around 9 years old. Original posters not likely to reply.
                              Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Comment

Originally posted by Skoptsy View Post
                                I would say based on the location and whether you are going to on/ off it during winter etc. matters to decide whether you should opt shower or nexus.
                                Folks with long, cold winters need to consider the time required to 'ramp up' in spring, and when cold weather starts arriving they likely can continue using a Nexus or similar type filter longer than a shower filter. Showers disperse water heat very quickly.

I have both Nexus and shower filters. When the pond was built, sieves were not in use. If I were doing it all over, I would use sieves and showers without the Nexus units. Being in a warm climate, shower filters can be operated year-round and are much easier to maintain. Unfortunately, converting what I have would be much too expensive for the benefit involved.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                                Working...
                                X