bakki shower or nexus filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bakki shower or nexus filter

With your opinon, which is better a 3,500 gallon koi pond, no plants, 4 inch bottom drain with air diffuser. Case 1 is water gravity fed to vortex filter than to a pump which pumps it to a bakki shower, or vortex filter to a pump which pumps it to a nexus filter. Their are so many different types of filters now, and sometimes i just don't know which ones are ideal for different situations. thanks

Is the pond outdoor? Will you shut it down in the winter or keep it running?

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder View Post
      Is the pond outdoor? Will you shut it down in the winter or keep it running?
      Great questions Answer them and most of the decision is probably made
      Larry Iles
      Oklahoma

Comment

Both! Run the Nexus on the bottom drain circuit and the Bakki on the skimmer circuit.

Best wishes,
        Don Chandler
        Member: AKCA, ZNA, KoiUSA

Comment

I would say, it depends on your location and whether you are planning on shutting down during winter. Seeing New Jersey, I'd go with the Nexus unless you can maintain a consistent winter temperature even with a shower. But if that shower is subject to the elements (cold temps), you would be smart to have a secondary filter system, if not a whole other one year round altogether.
          The views I have are completely representative of who I am, and may/may not be representative of clubs I may or may not be a part of.

Comment

I'm planning a pond over here in the UK that will run all year with a shower fed from a skimmer and seive as the only filtration. I'm just going to enclose the shower and other filtration in it's own little shed by the pond to prevent it chilling the water and make it easy to clean the seive.

There are quite a few guys over here who run a shower outside all year; they just enclose it in polycarbonate for the autumn/winter/spring.

If you want to go with a K1 filter (and you have the option) I'd probably convert vortex chambers to run K1 in rather than buy a nexus - first vortex you speak about could have a DIY Easy fitted into it to deal with all the fines and heavier waste and then you could have one or two vortexes afterwards filled with fluidised K1 to deal with the biological side. Why not buy a Nexus instead? Well I think they are a lot of money for what they are and they also have quite a bit hidden and tricky to get to, whereas the converted vortexes are usually much more open and easier to get to the bits when you have to! Just my opinion though!
            Ed

Comment

Yeah i am in NJ, the filter would be shut done for a few months in winter and just have the air pump going.

EDS
              how easy is it to make the vortex filter into a nexus. any specific brand vortex you like the best.

Comment

Originally posted by glupo View Post
                how easy is it to make the vortex filter into a nexus. any specific brand vortex you like the best.
                Best thing is to show you a guide Maurice Cox did and is on his website.
                Jap matting to Kaldness media

This is another way M. has converted some. Mechanical filtration capable of removing fines
                He still has ones like those permanent ones at the bottom running as mechanical filtration at the farm coping with very high stocking rates. (Bio is handled by Bakki Showers).
                As long as you have a screen on the inlet, outlet and waste pipes then they will work great.

If you just want to put a container into the vortex rather than convert it all then I reckon this is the best kind of idea, Simply Koi and More Koi • View topic - K1 Conversion - update
                Then you just have the air ring on the bottom of the smaller container. Waste will still settle out in the base of the vortex as normal and the 4" pipe running across just slots into the exit fitting from the vortex so you can remove the whole thing in one go if you need to get access to the vortex chamber below. You also don't then need a grid on the waste pipe as all the K1 is kept in the container.

No ideas on brands I'm afraid though.
                Ed

Comment

BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For our pond each BD has a Nexus/EAzy that run 24/7. For all but the 3 coldest months I run the skimmer to two short bakki showers. I bypass the showers January to sometime in March.
                  Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Comment

Very open ended question that requires more information. As Flounder has mentioned, will the pond be covered or outdoors? As we all know NJ can be purty darn cold in the winter time. Other things to consider:

1. Is money a factor?
                    2. What are your goals with the hobby?
                    3. What quality koi will you be stocking?
                    4. Is koi size/growth important to you?
                    5. What is your proposed koi stocking density?
                    6. I assuming you will be using K1 for the Nexus. What about shower media? Which type of media will you be using?
                    7. Is the pond near trees? If so, then will you be installing a skimmer circuit?
                    8. Will you be installing a heater?

IMO, showers are the best type of filtration if you can keep the temp constant. If cooling may be a factor, then you can't go wrong with a K1 fluidized bed. Just make sure that you have a good mechanical filter before it and it should work dandy. Or, better yet, you can be like MCA and have both a shower and a fluidized bed. However, this would be an overkill for a 3.5K gal pond.....have you considered making the pond bigger?

Comment

If a shower filter is shut down for 3 months and is exposed to the elements outdoors, it seems to me that the biofilm will be killed off and take longer to re-establish nitrification in the Spring than using a fluidized bed. But, I am not experienced in such winter-keeping and defer to those with actual experience.

Comment

Our pair of Nexus never have to completely reestablish themselves. The K1 in the them right now is tan, not a dead white. The bakki house media will start developing a bacteria colony again when I put them on line. But this time of year I neither need them for ammonia handling nor for aeration. Come spring when the pond load goes up...so do the showers.
                        Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Comment

1. Is money a factor? no
                          2. What are your goals with the hobby? grow large quality koi
                          3. What quality koi will you be stocking? premium select japan import
                          4. Is koi size/growth important to you? yes
                          5. What is your proposed koi stocking density? 40 per1000gal and than once koi 12inches will be at 15 p er 1000 i will sell/give away as their growing and keep teh ones i really like
                          6. I assuming you will be using K1 for the Nexus. What about shower media? Which type of media will you be using? lave rock
                          7. Is the pond near trees? If so, then will you be installing a skimmer circuit?no and not sure if will have skimmer or just two bottom drains
                          8. Will you be installing a heater? not as of now

i considered making it bigger but just limited to space this is going to be a raised pond.

Comment

OK, a couple of points based on your answers below.

Originally posted by glupo View Post
                            1. Is money a factor? no
                            2. What are your goals with the hobby? grow large quality koi
                            3. What quality koi will you be stocking? premium select japan import
                            4. Is koi size/growth important to you? yes
                            5. What is your proposed koi stocking density? 40 per1000gal and than once koi 12inches will be at 15 p er 1000 i will sell/give away as their growing and keep teh ones i really like
                            Based on answers 1, 2, and 3, your proposed stocking densities are too high for either a nexus or a Shower.
                            6. I assuming you will be using K1 for the Nexus. What about shower media? Which type of media will you be using? lave rock
                            Lava Rock is a poor media to use. If you still decide to go with it, plan on changing it out, perhaps 1 tray per month.
                            7. Is the pond near trees? If so, then will you be installing a skimmer circuit?no and not sure if will have skimmer or just two bottom drains
                            Trees or no trees, you'll need a skimmer, on a seperate circuit.
                            8. Will you be installing a heater? not as of now
                            If no heater, what are your plans for the koi during the winter months?

i considered making it bigger but just limited to space this is going to be a raised pond.
                            The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
                            CKHPA

Comment

Steve is right. Your goals are contrary to your planned stocking densities. You can grow a few large, nice Koi or you can stunt a lot of smaller, mediocre Koi. Pick one or build bigger both in terms of pond and filtration.

Showers seem to kick in rapidly once they're up and running, but speaking as one who has used lava rock semi-successfully in the past I can say you'll be happier with something larger and lighter. That crap is heavy and a real pain to service when it is needed.

You would do well to pay one of the best Koi Breeders in the entire USA a little visit for some pointers. It just so happens one such fellow isn't very far from you Not far at all

Hey fella's. When is the first spring time event at Nissai anyway?
                              Larry Iles
                              Oklahoma

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X