General Water Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Water Question...

At what time of the day is best to do a water change?
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Like I learn on my last tread about water change, I change more often and more water that I use to do before. I'm doing now my water change end of the afternoon when I have time to water the garden's flowers with the skimmer water and my water filter.

Three reasons for that:
    1/ I'm working the rest of the day
    2/ I spare water because the water I used before to water the garden is now going in my pond
    3/ If I make a 10 % change, that will take the temperature a little down and I hope that this will help some female to spawn the next morning (I'm still wating for now more then one week).

Comment

I do my water change when I have time. I do it mosty late morning when things are wamer. I do mini water changes everyday after I flush my settlement of the debris I top it off.

Marco do you use Evian for water change? LOL Kidding!!!!

Joe
      It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

I have heard of some hobbyist having a secondary water tank to age water....What do you guys think of this practice?
        The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Originally posted by keokoi
          I do my water change when I have time. I do it mosty late morning when things are wamer. I do mini water changes everyday after I flush my settlement of the debris I top it off.

Marco do you use Evian for water change? LOL Kidding!!!!

Joe
          A little Evian with a lot of Laguvelin

Comment

Originally posted by marco
            A little Evian with a lot of Laguvelin
            Sorry i wanted to write Lagavulin, I guess you had correct it

Comment

Cool.... tres bien Marco!

and to reverse PP you use Perrier!

Joe
              It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Originally posted by aquitori
                I have heard of some hobbyist having a secondary water tank to age water....What do you guys think of this practice?
                I'm sure there's just the right amount of time to aging water. My thought's on this is: if you don't manage this process correctly, you open yourself up for problems.

The best advice I recieved is this, 2 daily small water changes in spring an summer - early morning and early evening. Just enough to get the daily waste out. This maintains consistent water quality and the impact of "new" water is kept to a minimum. Once daily during colder times of the year. If we flush our toilets every time, should we do this for our pets as well.

Comment

I agree with Dick's recommendation - it will follow below. Water exchange is best done continuously as a slow trickle. I creates less disruption in the system. Aging and heavily aerating water before it is put in the pond is always good and, in some situations, essential.

-steve hopkins

Comment

It seems like the water is running all the time on my pond. I dump the filters in the morning + a little, then I turn the water on low. It takes about half the day to refill it. Then when its full, I dump about more 6" out of the pond and let it fill back up. I would say it takes about 15 hour to do it all.

I was out at another pond the other day, and they had the water on full blast. I do know, but I think this would be harder on the koi.

Tom

Keep it simple, keep it straight Koi-Bito.com

Comment

I prefer to do my water changes in the early AM hours when the PH of my tap water more closely matches the PH reading of the pond.

Comment

In most cases a lot of us have to use a type of dechlorinator in our water. How do you go about using it. If your adding the water to the pond from a hose do you dose the dechlorinator based on the gallons of the pond or gallons added to the pond?

Tom

Keep it simple, keep it straight Koi-Bito.com

Comment

my trickle runs thru a bag of activated charcoal to act as a declorinator.

I think when it comes to water if you keep the mental picture of a chart that's tracking water and try and do everything to eliminate the peaks and valley's you've got the right concept.
                          Dick Benbow

Comment

Dick,

Be careful with activated charcoal for removing chlorine: it is very slow at this! You need a long well time (very slow flow through lots of it, maybe a 55 gallons drum full).

The best setup will have two pressurized containers where the carbon is replaced alternatively based on tested longevity for elimination of th target element.

Have you done such tests? What were the results?
                            Arthur

Comment

I fill up a net sock some four feet in length a foot or so in diameter and trickle
                              a thread about half the size of a pencil thru it. I can get about 2 months out of a bag befort the test kit indicates the presence of cholrine.
                              Dick Benbow

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X