Male Akame Kigoi Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Male Akame Kigoi Question

I'm reading a book titled "The Essential Book of Koi." Im reading about Kigoi in the Kawarimono section. It says that Akame Kigoi, particularly the males, can grow to 39 inches (1m). Has anyone heard why this might be true? It's been my understanding that female koi generally grow larger than male koi. Why would the males in this variety grow particularly large? Thanks.

Sounds like a misprint.
    Mark Gardner

Comment

Originally posted by Chromer View Post
      I'm reading a book titled "The Essential Book of Koi." Im reading about Kigoi in the Kawarimono section. It says that Akame Kigoi, particularly the males, can grow to 39 inches (1m). Has anyone heard why this might be true? It's been my understanding that female koi generally grow larger than male koi. Why would the males in this variety grow particularly large? Thanks.
      No. Although a wild type mutation, which can allow for non inbreed wild type growth, kigoi males have no special gift. There are crosses of chagoi and kigoi that get quite big but they are always females.
      A kigoi is a double recessive mutation. It's phentoype and genotype are the same. So it is a pure fish in that regard unlike most other koi varieties.

JR

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
      Working...
      X