Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom C
    replied
    Brady if it does go away how long do you think it will take? I have one other kohaku that had a shimmi like this and I let it go for some time. When I went to remove it, it was then to deep.

Keo, no water softener here. I would like to be able to bring the pH down in the pond, but don't know a safe way to do it and keep it stable. Any thoughts on how to do this? The pond is gunite, but it's also sealed with CIM, so I don't think I'm going any leaching from the gunite.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• Brady Brandwood
    replied
    Shimmi,...

Yep, that's the type of shimmi that will go away on its own. I would leave it alone. If you plan to show the fish, and the shimmi is still there just before show time,... you can give it a nap, then carefully use an exacto razor and outline the scale (best seen in pic #2) with the razor which will give you a sharp edge on the red,... then take a tweezer and pull the scale the shimmi is on backwards and out - since the shimmi is isolated to one single scale.

From the look on the pic though that shimmi is no problem to worry over - it should disappear on its own.

Best Wishes,
    Brady Brandwood

Leave a comment:

• keokoi
    replied
    MHO, I have never seen one go away maybe fade but not go away. Unless you got a mud pond around and can throw her back in there.. I don't think it is going away. I am assuming this is on the outside of scale not inside?

I have also seen your pond in person and know its gunite and you I think have very hard water andother culprit..

Weren't you talking about getting a water softener?

Joe

Leave a comment:

• Tom C
    replied
    Joe my koi love me and let me pick them up. LOL No, I didn't remove it yet. Do you think I should give to time to go away on it's own?

Tom

Leave a comment:

• keokoi
    replied
    Hmmmmm fish is sleeping???? me thinks you already scraped it off...

Joe

Leave a comment:

• Tom C
    replied
    One more.

Leave a comment:

• Tom C
    replied
    Here's the shimmi I'm taking about.

Leave a comment:

• aquitori
    replied
    I think if the shimmi is on top of the scale then I think you should be able to scrape it off but if it looks deep it ain't goin no where. But I would just wait to see if it disappears by itself.

Leave a comment:

• Tom C
    replied
    I will get you a picture of it tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• Brady Brandwood
    replied
    Shimmi,...

Hi Tom,

Do you have a close pic of this shimmi? Some shimmis on Kohakus are just "passing through", and will go away as quickly as they came. May be best to leave it alone, especially if your Kohaku is not mature and show ready yet - give it time to disappear on its own.

Best Wishes,
    Brady Brandwood

Leave a comment:

• Tom C
    started a topic Shimmie

Shimmie

My best kohaku has a shimmie on it. What's my chance of it coming back if I remove it?

Tom
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
Working...
X