Feeding Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding Time

What is the best time(s) to feed koi? My koi seem to prefer to eat the most at dusk and dawn. They're fed generally 3-5 times a day, depending on the temp, but they seem to LOVE to get food after dark, when I turn the patio light on so the pond is all lit up. Any theories why? I assume they naturally like to eat at dusk and dawn just like wild fish...but why do they seem to like to eat after dark with the light on? Is it good/bad/neutral to feed them at this time (as well as several times during the daylight)?

Does time of day matter when feeding koi?

As long as you don't overfeed, it does not matter what time of day or night you feed.

Comment

I think you'll find that they will feed at night even if there is no light. You just won't see it happen. It is easier for them to find sinking food in the dark compared to floating food being moved around by currents. The sense of smell and touch is very strong in koi.

Comment

The sense of smell and touch is very strong in koi.

As is the force in a Jeddi Knight.

It seems a long time ago now, but there was a contributor to another koi board, name of SMG, who did some 'research' in to night feeding of koi and as MikeM suggests she found that irrespective of the hour they would feed quite readily if food was offered.

IIRC she did once set up a bug zapper above her pond in an attempt to tempt her koi in to having a nocturnal feed as the dead bugs fell like Manna from the sky. How that scheme worked out... I don't know, but thinking about it, it has a certain merit about it.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
        Working...
        X