Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Politics aside...Who is not offended by this?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carrie1964 View Post
    I sure do enjoy getting my morning laughs now coming to Bito to read in the "outside" section. Almost as good as Jon Stewart!

Larry......my daughter turned down a scholarship to Duke to attend Hanover College. So obviously I was interested in this "thesis". SInce my daughter *could* have been exposed to these kind of horrible influences as a senior this year.
    Luckily, this was a JOKE that she sent to three friends. Not a thesis. I thought that was kind of obvious.....
    Honestly, I surprised this girl could maintain her honors status with this kind of social life.......
    God forbid I found my daughters behaving that way. Seems a total lack of respect for self and others. The thing that bothers me most about this story is that it points up a double standard. OK for a boy to parade his exploits to the detriment of girls, but a girl does so and its national news.

I get a huge kick outa pulling ole Bob's chain here. From his reactions, he must get the same about me. Coffee and "outside section"....Breakfast of champions.

But, I also make contributions to the "inside" and try to be an asset to this group and not just a muck stirrer.

Although I've not read "Harry Potter" or seen the films, both my daughters loved the books, and I'm sorry, if it offends anybody it bothers me not. I've spent a lifetime encouraging those kids to read, and no doubt Harry Potter had more of an effect than I did. The first copy of the book they got came from an extremely liberal koi friend, and he did not stop there. An English teacher, he sent many books and magazines, always with my kids best interest in his heart. And though I sometimes disagreed vehemently with him, he's been a good friend and mentor to my kids.

Banning books offends the hell out of me. Always has, always will.

Brett
    Brett

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbreeder View Post
      I get a huge kick outa pulling ole Bob's chain here. From his reactions, he must get the same about me. Coffee and "outside section"....Breakfast of champions.

But, I also make contributions to the "inside" and try to be an asset to this group and not just a muck stirrer.

Although I've not read "Harry Potter" or seen the films, both my daughters loved the books, and I'm sorry, if it offends anybody it bothers me not. I've spent a lifetime encouraging those kids to read, and no doubt Harry Potter had more of an effect than I did. The first copy of the book they got came from an extremely liberal koi friend, and he did not stop there. An English teacher, he sent many books and magazines, always with my kids best interest in his heart. And though I sometimes disagreed vehemently with him, he's been a good friend and mentor to my kids.

Banning books offends the hell out of me. Always has, always will.

Brett

Dumbing down the population by banning ANY kind of books is a huge mistake in my opinion. All four of my children are avid readers, and I never tried to limit their horizons by discouraging any books. And low and behold, I managed to raise four brilliant AND moral children. No drugs,teen pregnanices or criminals here.Despite the varied nature of all the books they have read. I myself read about two books a week, and I don`t limit myself to things that I agree with.

Also Brett, I USED to contribute to the inside part of this forum until certain individuals decided it was mature and FUN on their part , to pass on personal information about me and resort to name calling, and also spread lies about three of my best friends in the hobby. But hey, thats ALL in the past. Now I just come and read for the fun of it. I enjoy my koi at home and enjoy spending all the money I used to spend on Koi, on my dog and traveling to dog shows and bird hunting with Ruger. Alot less stressful...and I find the people to be much more open minded and not so "gossipy".

Comment

Dumbing down the population by banning ANY kind of books is a huge mistake in my opinion. All four of my children are avid readers, and I never tried to limit their horizons by discouraging any books. And low and behold, I managed to raise four brilliant AND moral children. No drugs,teen pregnanices or criminals here.Despite the varied nature of all the books they have read. I myself read about two books a week, and I don`t limit myself to things that I agree with.

Also Brett, I USED to contribute to the inside part of this forum until certain individuals decided it was mature and FUN on their part , to pass on personal information about me and resort to name calling, and also spread lies about three of my best friends in the hobby. But hey, thats ALL in the past. Now I just come and read for the fun of it. I enjoy my koi at home and enjoy spending all the money I used to spend on Koi, on my dog and traveling to dog shows and bird hunting with Ruger. Alot less stressful...and I find the people to be much more open minded and not so "gossipy".
        If we only read things we agreed with we'd not learn much, would we? I still love to read, but not so much time to do so. A lot of science and technical periodicals, and some fiction. I do most of my reading in two places.....the tub and the throne. If I'm on an airplane (and am a lot) I am either reading or napping, both favorite activities (or not) of mine.

I cannot see as how anything my daughters read affected them adversely. While they do not always agree with me, they have their own minds and agendas, I am proud that they are working hard to become good citizens. Athletic and academic minded, they work and study hard. I could not be more fortunate. They have been exposed to plenty of ugliness and temptation, but no drugs, no gangs, not pregnant due to ignorance, or any of the myriad of extreme difficulties many of my friends have faced with their kids. In their twenties, one working towards an MFA (Masters of Fine Arts) and the other studying geoscience, we've had our share of issues.....

A dog named "Ruger" I love it. Got my old Ruger Single Six, might name my next dog after it. I'm happy to see you pursuing things you love. But I do miss you from the main forum. Don't think I haven't had my share of runins over the years....but for the most part not too many problems. Even though many of us disagree vehemently on some things, nobody has threatened me or my family here. I'm sure that if one day I am lucky enough to meet folks like Bob and Larry, we'll get along just fine. We are alike in as many ways as we differ.

Politics is so pervasive. As my kids grew we went through the soccer club here (over 40,000 members), softball, Girl Scouts, and a gazillion dance competitions. Each with as much or more politics than koi.

Carrie, only you understand the debt of gratitude I will always owe you. Even though we may be on opposite sides of some issues, you hold my greatest esteem and respect. You ARE a good example of how a person should live their life, even in the face of great adversity.

Brett
        Brett

Comment

It is definitely our version of stewart/colbert going on here. Plenty of fun going at it. Brett is right, and I hope to meet him one day. I am friends with Steve Stone...and he went to Brett's lectures in the past. Said it was one of the best and funniest things he had ever seen. Nothing but praises for Brett from him.
          There should be no banning of books....ever. I can see them being age appropriate, that makes sense. But Banned...ridiculous!! I just got my wife an Ipad for her birthday. On kindle...got myself a copy of Darwins origin of species. I have studied him as a science student...but, never read the book he wrote. I figured it was about time. Very interesting so far!!
          sigpic

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Brutuscz View Post
            There should be no banning of books....ever. I can see them being age appropriate, that makes sense. But Banned...ridiculous!! ...
            Took the words right outta my mouth.
            "Age appropriate" is even a bugaboo for some folks, but at least individual communities and especially parents can exercise a bit of personal discretion in that regard. Banning on the other hand is a different matter entirely. Kind of foolish in the end as the ones who are supposedly being "sheltered" from the "bad books" will wind up seeking them out eventually on their own out of curiosity...or at least we can hope they do.
            The original list you posted up is really pathetic. Much of it is the stuff that discussion groups and debate classes are made of. I remember reading some of Arthur C. Clark and Isaac Asimov's books back when I that were loaded with both futuristic themes and social commentary undercurrents that were thought provoking even for a middle schooler. "The Time Machine" is another that comes to mind that fits that mold in a big way. The classroom discussions we had about the societal aspects of some of those books was invaluable and to have those conversations "locked away" out of some misguided sense of political correctness is insane.
            Larry Iles
            Oklahoma

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbreeder View Post
              If we only read things we agreed with we'd not learn much, would we? I still love to read, but not so much time to do so. A lot of science and technical periodicals, and some fiction. I do most of my reading in two places.....the tub and the throne. If I'm on an airplane (and am a lot) I am either reading or napping, both favorite activities (or not) of mine.

I cannot see as how anything my daughters read affected them adversely. While they do not always agree with me, they have their own minds and agendas, I am proud that they are working hard to become good citizens. Athletic and academic minded, they work and study hard. I could not be more fortunate. They have been exposed to plenty of ugliness and temptation, but no drugs, no gangs, not pregnant due to ignorance, or any of the myriad of extreme difficulties many of my friends have faced with their kids. In their twenties, one working towards an MFA (Masters of Fine Arts) and the other studying geoscience, we've had our share of issues.....

A dog named "Ruger" I love it. Got my old Ruger Single Six, might name my next dog after it. I'm happy to see you pursuing things you love. But I do miss you from the main forum. Don't think I haven't had my share of runins over the years....but for the most part not too many problems. Even though many of us disagree vehemently on some things, nobody has threatened me or my family here. I'm sure that if one day I am lucky enough to meet folks like Bob and Larry, we'll get along just fine. We are alike in as many ways as we differ.

Politics is so pervasive. As my kids grew we went through the soccer club here (over 40,000 members), softball, Girl Scouts, and a gazillion dance competitions. Each with as much or more politics than koi.

Carrie, only you understand the debt of gratitude I will always owe you. Even though we may be on opposite sides of some issues, you hold my greatest esteem and respect. You ARE a good example of how a person should live their life, even in the face of great adversity.

Brett

Brett,
              I appreciate your kind words. I do miss being more involved in the koi hobby. But my life has taken such a turn, at the same time I was frustrated with the politcs in Koi , I was lucky enough to find a new outlet, and I find myself so busy with traveling to dog shows and field events that I seldom have a free weekend these days!
              The name Ruger was a compromise with my husband, but I actually love it. And he is one heck of a bird dog. The fact that he is comformationally correct and beautiful doesn`t hurt either. He is excelling in the field and in the show ring. He`ll be getting a sister next year , so I think I`ll be busy for quite awhile!
              Attached Files

Comment

Brett,
                I appreciate your kind words. I do miss being more involved in the koi hobby. But my life has taken such a turn, at the same time I was frustrated with the politcs in Koi , I was lucky enough to find a new outlet, and I find myself so busy with traveling to dog shows and field events that I seldom have a free weekend these days!
                The name Ruger was a compromise with my husband, but I actually love it. And he is one heck of a bird dog. The fact that he is comformationally correct and beautiful doesn`t hurt either. He is excelling in the field and in the show ring. He`ll be getting a sister next year , so I think I`ll be busy for quite awhile!
                Now THAT is a fine animal. The dog ain't bad either.

Its been a very long time since I hunted with a dog. Never owned a hunting dog myself. One springer spaniel that we all loved dearly, he was a lover not a hunter. His breeding did him in. Soft mouth, finesse over strength, gentle disposition, and love of water, neighbor's pit bull killed him. Both dogs out of their respectful yards. He just had to run down to the bayou every day for a swim. His kiddy pool in the yard wasn't enough for him. I spent $900 trying to save a dog somebody gave me. God I miss that dog.

It is the rare animal that can gain championships both in conformation shows and field competitions. I wish you the best of luck in what is bound to be an exciting, educational, and frustrating journey. Do what you love and love every moment. We keep having to be reminded of the preciousness of each moment. I keep promising and work hard to keep the promise of not taking my time here for granted.

Don't think for a minute there will be no politics!

Ever see "Best of Breed?" All my koi friends were (represented) in it.

Brett
                Brett

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                Working...
                X