Hughes Net Satellite - DON'T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hughes Net Satellite - DON'T

If you need internet service, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use Huges Net satellite.

The service is twice the price of DSL and not much faster than dial up. The internet goes out if the sky gets really cloudy.

We had to get satellite because we live in the boonies now and there’s no other service available. I've had the service 6 months 5 days and it went out, again, last night. They wanted $125 to come out and fix it. Service is not free after 6 months and you have to sign a 2 year contract. If you cancel early, there's a $400 early cancellation fee.

I sure wish there was another option for internet when you live out in the country. It would be worth the $400 cancellation fee.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Originally posted by kntry View Post
    If you need internet service, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use Huges Net satellite.

The service is twice the price of DSL and not much faster than dial up. The internet goes out if the sky gets really cloudy.

We had to get satellite because we live in the boonies now and there’s no other service available. I've had the service 6 months 5 days and it went out, again, last night. They wanted $125 to come out and fix it. Service is not free after 6 months and you have to sign a 2 year contract. If you cancel early, there's a $400 early cancellation fee.

I sure wish there was another option for internet when you live out in the country. It would be worth the $400 cancellation fee.
    Welcome to my world......

No other option for me. No cable, DSL or other high speed option where I live. Fiber optic cable 1.25 miles away, was told it would cost over $100K to get the cable to my town from there.

I pay $99/mo for bad service. If it rains, no service. If the wind or dry weather makes the antenna get out of whack, $125 to fix it. If a lot of people around here online, it gets slow. If I download over 250 MB, between 5 am and 1 am next day, I get cut off ("Always on, always connected, but not always available if you use it much.") When I asked the guy in India about my "unlimited always on connection" was told that was true as long as I did not violate "Fair access policy" oh, for $5 I can "reload."

Not much service for what it costs.

However, after the hurricane when all cables, phones, cell connections, DSL and such were down, I had internet.

Problem is, there is no other alternative. ALL satellite internet connections are through Hughes. Even if purchased from a reseller, it comes from Hughes. Can you say, "Monopoly?"

I've had this service for over 10 years, and it has not improved one whit.

I'd pay $400 in a heartbeat if I had a workable alternative.
    Brett

Comment

Brett, mine is the same way. A little breeze, not internet, a white cloud floats over the house, no internet.

I called and asked why I could still get satellite tv but they can't keep an internet connection and they told me it's because tv is not real time???

I'm going to call AT&T today and see about those wireless cards. They're $50 a month but there's some stipulation about how much ??? you can use. I'll find out and let you know. The IT guy at work says they're great, our guys use them all day long with no problems.
      The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
      SANDY

Comment

Moving to the outside section but feel free to continue to discuss .
        Koi-Unit

ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Comment

Sorry, Jim. I started to put it there and wasn't sure.
          SANDY

Comment

it really works...virgin broadband2go ..unlimited 3G internet $40 /month... Great Reasons to Choose Us

• The Only Internet You'll Ever Need
            • Unlimited Internet, No Contract
            • Fast 3G* Connection and No Speed Restrictions†
            • No Credit Checks or Activation Fees
            • Change Plans as Your Needs Change

I live in the country and this works.. still need to check coverage...
            Cell Phone Coverage - Check Cell Phone Coverage | Virgin Mobile
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sundan View Post
              it really works...virgin broadband2go ..unlimited 3G internet $40 /month... Great Reasons to Choose Us

• The Only Internet You'll Ever Need
              • Unlimited Internet, No Contract
              • Fast 3G* Connection and No Speed Restrictions†
              • No Credit Checks or Activation Fees
              • Change Plans as Your Needs Change

I live in the country and this works.. still need to check coverage...
              Cell Phone Coverage - Check Cell Phone Coverage | Virgin Mobile
              I'll be checking this out. Might be the answer I've been looking for.
              Brett

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbreeder View Post
                I'll be checking this out. Might be the answer I've been looking for.
                be sure to get the mobile hotspot connects up to 5 wi-fi enabled devices works better than usb device
                the trick is bonding the device, must follow the steps to the T in the manual.
                forgot to say site has them out of stock but hear you can get them at radio shack and some walmart stores.
                http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobil...mifi-2200.html
                sigpic

Comment

Dan, don't you have to have cell phone coverage for this to work? Most of the time, I can't use my iPhone internet at the house.

I'll check into it though. I need something that works.

Thanks!
                  SANDY

Comment

This only works if you have 3G cell phone coverage at your home. Unfortunately, I don't have it, nor cable, nor DSL, so Hughes.net is the only choice I have for anything faster than dial up.

Phil

Comment

Brett,

Two choices possibly for you. We only have 26k dialup due to the ancient phone switch we are on, so we have always been searching for better.

Internet America (800-BE-A-Geek) - Houston area (based in Stafford) provider of radio internet. We've had them for 3-4 years. Have a 4 ft antenna on the roof- broadcast from towers about 3-4 miles away. Not sure if they are down south where you are. Pretty decent speed - poor latency so no VOIP. plans from $40-60 amonth. Only outages are from really big storms and they usually get them back up within a day or so.

We tried AT&T wireless about 4 years ago - were supppsed to be in their high-speed coverage area. It was so-so. One day we were driving to the in-laws and passed Intercontinental and my wife was using the laptop. All of a sudden - everything sped up - photos downloaded fast, etc. and a fireball appeared at the top of the screen. This is what we were supposed to be getting - just never had. We called the next day and were able to get out of our contract with them since they couldn't provide the promised service.

We are really waiting on Clear. It's a WIMAX service building out in Houston are right now. About a month ago, we ordered it because they showed we had coverage. Well, could only pick up a extremely weak signal in the girls bedroom. They sent out a tech and he confirmed the bad signal, so we sent everything back on their penny. BUt last week, we were at the county fair and I talked to their local rep. He said on October 11, 3 new towers are supposed to go online around us. I'm hoping we can triangulate off of them and get a good signal. Their speeds should be about 4-5 times faster than what we get now. Not sure if they are building down south either - but they have a coverage map online. (that may or may not be correct )

Sorry Sandy - I don't think either Clear or Internet America or near you.
                      Eddie

Comment

Thanks, Eddie. When we moved, I knew we were going back to the dark ages but I love it out in the woods. When we moved to the Northshore 35 years ago, it was years before we could get even the big satellite dish, no cable, nothing.
                        SANDY

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                        Working...
                        X