New pumps and UV units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pumps and UV units

Previously I had two UltraSieve III units feeding one Flowfriend pump and one Viper 400watt UV that delivered water to my single shower stack. So last weekend I removed the Flowfriend (and later sold it) and removed the Viper (gave it to someone). Definitely kept the two USIII units.

CAPEX previous system: A new or replacement Flowfriend is around $2500. A new 400watt Viper unit is around $2500. A Viper 400watt replacement lamp and quartz sleeve now lists for over $500 and wholesales for over $300.

CAPEX new system: A Periha 25000 pump is around $230 each and a Jebao STU-75 UV unit is $179. Replacement 75watt lamps or quartz sleeves are around $30 each.

OPEX previous system: Flowfriend used around 360 watts at 1800rpm. Viper used around 500 watts (lots of energy loss as heat by the large transformer). Total energy used around 850watts.

OPEX new system: Periha 25000 each use 160 watts at highest speed. Jebao UV uses 75 watts (very little energy lost as heat by ballast). Total energy used by 2 pumps and 2 UVs around 470 watts. Roughly a 50% savings in energy consumption for the approximately the same flow rate through the shower.

New benefit: Redundancy. Each circuit of USIII, pump and UV is not independent of the other circuit. So if need to do maintenance on one side, I can still have the shower running....with half the flow rate.

Bottom line: If planning a new pond or revising an existing one, check for the latest products available for your application. You may be able to save both on CAPEX and OPEX.

Attached Files
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Originally posted by MCA View Post

CAPEX new system: A Periha 25000 pump is around $230 each and a Jebao STU-75 UV unit is $179. Replacement 75watt lamps or quartz sleeves are around $30 each.
    How do you find the performance on the Periha pumps? I've had my eye on these for a while when pricing out the construction of a few new systems. Do you find them reliable, and do they produce the listed GPH? Even if they produce 80% of what is advertised, I'm very tempted to use these.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Miyabi Koi Farm[/B]

Comment

Like them very much. The first I one I got last year has been pushing water through an Aquadyne 4cf bead filter. With all that back pressure it only does around 2,500gph. But that is fine for a skimmer circuit. No problem with the pump sitting out in the weather for a year. So last weekend I put two two of them into service for the shower. Each does around 4000gph pushing upwards for around 7 feet of height and through the UV lamps. So I am pleased with the flow vs the watts consumed. For a application such as feeding a shower 4000-5000gph, I think they are worth the investment. You can get them from Tom Tran at Seaside Aquatics, via Amazon, or even eBay.
      Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
      Working...
      X