Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Momotaro Koi auction Sept. 20th and 21st.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Momotaro Koi auction Sept. 20th and 21st.

Okayama Momotaro will be having their first auction of 2005 in Sept. 20th and 21st.

Originally posted by koinut
    Okayama Momotaro will be having their first auction of 2005 in Sept. 20th and 21st.
    Cool! Thanks Rob.. Gonna have to buy my plane ticket..

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Going to be nice! 300 nisai gosanke and 2000 tosai gosanke and kawarimono.

Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by koinut
        Going to be nice! 300 nisai gosanke and 2000 tosai gosanke and kawarimono.

Have fun!

WOW! Gonna be overwhelming for sure... Doesn't matter as long as I get BBQ!

Joe

Comment

hey guys

how much do you guys normally spend on a buying trip, transport, food and accomodation (without buying the koi) it must be real cheap for you guys to goto japan every year.

Or you guys are all secretly bill gates

tewa
          There is no such thing as a zero maintenance pond but the closer you get the more time to enjoy your koi. Soft low TDS water is the perfect pond water.
          http://www.tewakoi.com

Comment

Originally posted by tewa
            hey guys

how much do you guys normally spend on a buying trip, transport, food and accomodation (without buying the koi) it must be real cheap for you guys to goto japan every year.

tewa
            Well when I went to Momotaro I treated it like a vacation so I did spend much on accomadations..
            The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

hey guys

tewa
              I dunno.. I never look at the Bill ever.. I only look at what I spent on Koi. It aint Cheap.. But it aint free as well. The trips we take are fast... We visit so many breeders next thing you know were gone..

Joe

Comment

hey guys

tewa
                Usually I bring one check, that check is signed over to my dealer that I go with for the amount I spend at the end of the trip. As far as pocket money I usually bring about $1000 cash... I am more of a "Walton" than a "Gates"...
                The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Originally posted by aquitori
                  Usually I bring one check, that check is signed over to my dealer that I go with for the amount I spend at the end of the trip. As far as pocket money I usually bring about $1000 cash... I am more of a "Walton" than a "Gates"...
                  I have direct deposit in my dealers account so It never gets to wife.. LOL

I bring about 500 USD

Comment

Japan spending trip.

I went to Japan on my free airmiles from using the old credit card.

I gave myself a budget and went and bought my dollars before the trip. I took along the credit card, just in case, and ended up spending close to ten times my budget on the credit card. before I left, the card had stopped working !!! Its the trip of a lifetime if you like koi, but the money goes fast. More so on the koi than on the food and acommodation.

If you get a chance and have the resources to go, do it, it is really an experience worth saving for.

I'm very glad I went, one of my best trips as far as the enjoyment goes, and I live right the other side of the world!

Comment

What are the prices like out in Japan? I plan to go in october
                      www.cheapkoi.co.uk

Comment

Japan Prices

Hi

The prices in Japan are very good if you are used to buying from a dealer. The only thing is the transport costs are high, so if you but a real cheap koi, the transport costs more than the fish. It pays to but high quality fish, which you can land at home for about half the cost you would pay to but them.

Be careful with very small fish that you cannot select yorself, they select for you when they collect and you may be disapointed. Also smaller fish dont travel as well as larger ones. I lost a lot of the fish below 25 cm (about half of them or more) and none of the larger fish. I brought in 40 fish, and all 15 of the big ones are 100%. A friend of mine had the same experience.

My advice is to get a few high quality fish above 30 cm, but obviously the very larger ones start to become very costly ... You can always grow out great fish from great tategoi, so get quality while you have the choice!

I had a fantastic trip, you will enjoy it I quarantee. Japan is a fantastic experience and the folk there are very friendly and hospitable. Eat lots of Sushi too.

Enjoy yourself!
                        Paul

Comment

Paul,
                          To what do you attribute the loss of the small koi? 50% losses seems pretty high.
                          Mitch

Comment

Death of small koi

Hi Mitch.

About the deaths of the small koi ... I wish I knew. I truly have no idea and also very little experience with importing koi, so I dont know if what I say is true in general. However I had that happen and I brought in 40 odd fish. My fellow friend in my town also had the same experience, and my agent also advised same. It seems odd, but the larger fish seem to cope better with the long trip. I know from moving fry of about one week old, they die of fright or for the slightest reason. Some of my big koi have jumped out of breeding ponds and survived the night in the mud, and recovered, perhaps they are just a bit stronger when they are bigger. However, I can confirm for certain that the big fish travelled well. Neither myself or my friend lost even one fish. My biggest was a 74cm female, with eggs incidentally! She was delayed for 70 hours as the plane had mechanical problems on the last leg. Then still an hours drive in 36 deg summer heat in the back of a van before reaching home. No problems at all ... you can import big ones at low risk so dont fear that option!

Happy fishing.
                            Paul

Comment

Paul,
                              I would imagine that part of it is that the big koi get better handling. I would want one to a box on big expensive koi. Sometimes the smaller koi get over-crowded and ammonia problems can compound in the bags. I know they can sometimes develop ulcers as well after arriving ok. I a took a beating on some small Japanese koi I bought from a US dealer. He explained they are used to a somewhat different bacteria in the biological filter. He suggested not feeding them for a few days after arrival. They dropped like flies for a few weeks and I lost about 75 out of 100. I too have seen the small fellows fall over dead when trying to catch and move them.
                              Mitch

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X