No announcement yet.

My Breeding Plan....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Koi spawning is triggered by hormonal signals which can be manipulated by the weather, water changes, lunar cycles, etc... A few years ago one of our females spawned in May and again in June. She simply ran out of steam during the first spawn and when the conditions were right again she finished the job.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Comment

This was a planned spawn. The female I took had eggs and then I used one of the first male in my first spawn and a different male to test if the same male can spawn more then once in a season. It turned out that the same male can spawn more then once in the same season. Most of the eggs has now hatched and they are now eating this morning. I'm feeding them baby brine shrimp. I think that investing in frozen baby brine shrimp is not that bad of an idea. So maybe next year I'll invest in it.
      Akitsushima Tombo

Comment

Originally posted by chang26k View Post
        This was a planned spawn. The female I took had eggs and then I used one of the first male in my first spawn and a different male to test if the same male can spawn more then once in a season. It turned out that the same male can spawn more then once in the same season. Most of the eggs has now hatched and they are now eating this morning. I'm feeding them baby brine shrimp. I think that investing in frozen baby brine shrimp is not that bad of an idea. So maybe next year I'll invest in it.
        I'm curious. Did you just wait for the female to begin and then separate her with your chosen males or did you take steps to provoke the spawning with water changes or hormone injections? There is no wrong answer, I'm just curious as to how you approached it.
        Larry Iles
        Oklahoma

Comment

I just started a new batch of koi fry. Got my first newborn today, the rest should start hatching tonight to 2 more days...
          Mother and 2 fathers are gold kois.
          Hey, How did you get them to spawn at this time of the year? I have a female ready and want to spawn them asap... What did you do to lower the water temperatures, now that GA weather is pretty hot?

Comment

I aged some water for 24hrs and then mixed in the some pond water before I took the female and males out of the pond. The water mixture was 2/3 new water and 1/3 pond water. Everything was natural, no injections or anything. I saw the female very plumped with eggs and then decided to test her out if they would spawn. It was also raining that night and morning of the spawn. I think the rain could be a factor in triggering them to spawn.

The water mixture idea is to imitate the new comming of spring water... or something like that but it did work. And everything was outdoors and nothing was heated or chilled... just the regular outdoors temp with slight rain.
            Akitsushima Tombo

Comment

Good job on that and great timing. "Different water" combined with the rainfall and its accompanying change is barometric pressure is an excellent hormone trigger. Weather and Lunar cycles tend to be excellent signs of readiness with ours.
              Larry Iles
              Oklahoma

Comment

mmmm.... My Showa spawned~~~~! This time a much more success.... I think what triggered it was the massive thunderstorm in the afternoon and they did it sometime in the night. Despite the hot temperatures, it got low to around 75's in the night, so I'm guessing this temperature difference also helped. Well, It's time to take pictures!!

Comment

I did another expriment spawn and it worked. I used the same 2 males as last time and a different female. They spawn lastnight and there was no rain nor thunder. They were together for 2 night. So, do koi really don't spawn unless something triggers them or do they spawn as long as the female has eggs? And, in a few more days I'll find out if using the same males still makes a lot of babies.
                  Akitsushima Tombo

Comment

I did another expriment spawn and it worked. I used the same 2 males as last time and a different female. They spawn lastnight and there was no rain nor thunder. They were together for 2 night. So, do koi really don't spawn unless something triggers them or do they spawn as long as the female has eggs? And, in a few more days I'll find out if using the same males still makes a lot of babies.
                    If they are "ready" it takes very little change to provoke the last step, and putting them together in a different location may be all it took. It is a running joke that all it takes for a gravid female to spawn is to transport her to a Koi show and wait until the judges are on the way to her tank It may be a joke, but the punch line plays out at Koi shows every spring

Mine had pretty much finished spawning a month ago (I thought). We just had 24 hours of nonstop rain here in Oklahoma and this morning when the rain stopped I was greeted by the aroma of fish sex and the sight of foamy water
                    Larry Iles
                    Oklahoma

Comment

It has been 2 months now, and through cullings, I am down to about 200 at the most. They are doing well, I have been feeding the live brine shrimp 2 times daily along with crushed pellets. They are growing a lot.... Watch the video of them! Enjoy~ YouTube - Update of Koi Fry 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtx1d8nV8kQ
                      Danny

Comment

Here it is. I didn't take the video so well but enjoy.

YouTube - magic stuff
                        Akitsushima Tombo

Comment

Here it is. I didn't take the video so well but enjoy.

YouTube - magic stuff
                          mm they look quite big! what have you been feeding them? I've never gotten fry that were completely black like those... But, still nice video~

Comment

My koi don't eat like yours do. They don't come up when I feed them. But they eat bloodworms and I feed them crush pelets and chicken feed. And lots of alge. Some of them are big, but I think it also might just be the camra that got a nice zoom video of them. Gonna try breeding butterfly and see how they turn out.
                            Thanks
                            kc
                            Akitsushima Tombo

Comment

Chang, remind me who the parents were for these fry. I don't remember.
                              Larry Iles
                              Oklahoma

Comment

female: magoi
                                males: two yellow/gold-koi

Fry turn out: 40% black 60% white/yellow

I still have the magoi but the two male are now gone.
                                Akitsushima Tombo

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                                Working...
                                X