Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Koi Growth

Koi Growth

How long will it take for my 5 inch sanke to reach 40cm?

It all depends on the quility of the water, the water changes, the temperature, the size of the pond, and of course genetics. How big are your building your pond? I can't remember from your last post.

Well if your metric conversion is rusty.... bout 3 min.

However.... if you'd like to know how long to go from 5" to 15 3/4" .... well that depends on a whole lot of factors:

genetics (probably the biggest influence)
    environment (this is the pond/water quality you provide for them)

This fish may not ever get to 40 cent. It MAY get there in 4 months...

I'll offer a couple scenarios...

Top quality koi, place in a mud pond, genetics are all there for growth, quality diet and lots of space to roam... 3 months.

Poor quality koi, backyard pond, iffy water quality, dog chow for food, high density population... Probably dead before it gets there, and that's IF it could get there.

Avg. fish, Avg. pond w/adequate filtration and stocking density (4ft depth, 250 gallons/koi), Middle of the road diet, weekly water changes of 10 percent at least... maybe a year depending on the climate you live in. (ie. how long the fish is fasted for winter temps)

The more experienced will have a better idea, but that's my guess from a newbie's experience...

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Carpman View Post
    How long will it take for my 5 inch sanke to reach 40cm?
    Possibly 4 month, but normally 5 month, depend on variety though.

well my goal for size is 16 inches long koi. its permanent future home will be a 800 gallon pond. i just built a 130+ gallon set up so i can move it outside and out of the patio. i got it from a petshop so i doubt it has the jumbo genes but you never know. the lable on the tank said 16 inches but thats not a sure thing. its a sanke koi and i only feed it hikari

The Jumbo genes will work after a koi reaches to 28" - 30" (70cm-75cm). so, genetics is not really a matter for small Gosanke in recent years.

It's just a matter of water temps & amount food....and of course, to maintain best possible water quality at all the time is a minimum requirement. (IMO)

Good luck.

well my goal for size is 16 inches long koi. its permanent future home will be a 800 gallon pond. i just built a 130+ gallon set up so i can move it outside and out of the patio. i got it from a petshop so i doubt it has the jumbo genes but you never know. the lable on the tank said 16 inches but thats not a sure thing. its a sanke koi and i only feed it hikari
    Koi growth doesn't have an emergency brake, so growing it up to 16" to fit an 800g pond isn't a realistic goal to set. Feeding it a healthy diet while keeping good water will make the most of the fish you have no matter what. We have several "home bred" fish that are now 23 months old, fasted roughly 3 months in winter, and already comfortably over 16" with no special push for growth. They aren't from known "jumbo" genetics, just middle of the road. We have others that will likely never see 16" as they simply do not have the genetic make up for it.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Well if your koi has jumbo genes then 800 gal is what it will need. As to koi food the most important is how long since manufacture and how was it stored.
    Regards
    Eugene