Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Proud Shots of my Rare girl!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Proud Shots of my Rare girl!!!

I have updated pics of my girl every year...so, why stop now? My female Doitsu Gin Shiro Bekko has hit 20inches. She was bred by blackwater creek. The development pictures start in 2006..at 4 inches. The shiro is just blindingly white...picture can't capture it well. My water had a bit of a green cast to it...but she looked great today. Opinions are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81409bekko6.JPG 
Views:	449 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	25515   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81409bekko7.JPG 
Views:	325 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	25516   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doitsu bekko 06-09 dev.jpg 
Views:	1571 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	25517  

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    She is awesome Brutus! I don't believe I have ever seen a bekko with so many sumi markings!

As the water may not be perfect to capture her blinding white shiro, one can clearly see the beauty of her thick and beautiful shiro on her head. This would tell me in itself that she must be dazzling in real life.

What a treasure!
    "...no matter how you look at it, Mother Nature still makes the rules."

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good growth. But keep an eye on the sumi. This is not unusual with doitsu fish so there is not much that can be done as they grow. This is basically because doitsu fish have thinner skin ( dermis) and just don't house as much color cell layer as a wagoi does ( scaled fish) JR

Post Thanks / Like
    I really hope the sumi holds up with further growth. It has a spilled ink appearance that is very eye catching. If I can get her to 30+inches and still have good sumi, I will be thrilled. Thanks for the insight and compliments.

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow , Maybe I don't get it .

I know we're looking at a photo , but 1) the Sheen looks flat , 2) the Sumi looks to be going the wrong way (3) and too speckled , 4) the Tail & Pec. Fins are going yellow .
    President : GLK&GS
    Officer : NMZNA
    Certified Judge : AKJA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    Wow , Maybe I don't get it .

I know we're looking at a photo , but 1) the Sheen looks flat , 2) the Sumi looks to be going the wrong way (3) and too speckled , 4) the Tail & Pec. Fins are going yellow .
    Nah...sheen is excellent. The water has some algae, even with my UV lights. It made a yellowish cast...the fins are white. It has been happeneing to all my photo's recently. The sumi is tightening up. I purchased this one thinking it was a kikokuryu years ago. It is becoming more bekko like since then. I would tell you to try and find one of this variety..then you will see how nice this one is. I wanted to find another... But, I could probably find a unicorn more easily.

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to be unkind Brutus but don't fall into the trap of thinking rare means valuable. Rare often means that breeders can't sell or don't get the money for, certain varieties so they go to the bread and butter varieties that are in demand or that challenge their skills for creating the very high class koi.

Bekko used to be extremely common and demand feel to a trickle as a result. Today a wagoi bekko is rare in a show and will likely easily win in it's class! And of course doitsu and metallic are considered less valuable than wagoi. So I think you can see where I'm going with this. The important thing is that you like this fish. It looks healthy and is growing well and that is all that should matter to you. The sumi, I'm afraid, will go the way that most sumi on doitsu goes with time and age. But it looks like you have another two or three years before that happens. The granulation on the skull is building and that might become the bigger problem over the years. - JR

Post Thanks / Like
    I definitely understand it. I realize there is no huge demand for Bekko's. You know how it gets...some koi you think show, show, show!!! Others become like a pet dog...you just become fond of them, even though they can never win something big. Although, with this one...I think it can win a most unique or something of that nature. Judging it against others I have seen for sale, it is a nice one.
    But...explain to me the granulation issue. I understand granulation tissue as it relates to wound care. But..In your reference, I am not sure what you mean?

Post Thanks / Like
    very interesting...........................great koi

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Bekko used to be extremely common and demand feel to a trickle as a result. Today a wagoi bekko is rare in a show and will likely easily win in it's class! And of course doitsu and metallic are considered less valuable than wagoi. So I think you can see where I'm going with this. The important thing is that you like this fish. It looks healthy and is growing well and that is all that should matter to you. The sumi, I'm afraid, will go the way that most sumi on doitsu goes with time and age. But it looks like you have another two or three years before that happens. The granulation on the skull is building and that might become the bigger problem over the years. - JR

What does the sumi usually do on a doitsu as they get older?
    "...no matter how you look at it, Mother Nature still makes the rules."