Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Filter Maintenance Part IV: Bead Filter (AquaDyne type)

Filter Maintenance Part IV: Bead Filter (AquaDyne type)

The ads all say that bead filters take only a few minutes per week to maintain. Well...

My first step is to turn off the pump serving the bead filter and close all valves. I then clean the leaf basket on the pump. It is always partially blocked by leaves, algae glarf and sometimes dead toads. If the leaf basket was not preceeded by a Savio skimmer with leaf basket and filter mat, I think I would have to clean the leaf basket on the pump daily.

After the leaf basket is back in place, with the pump off and all valves still closed, I open the valve to the pump, and open the sludge discharge valve on the filter. Settlement on the bottom of the unit is discharged. I then close the valve to the pump. With the sludge discharge valve still open, I open the valve to the blower to allow air to enter the chamber. This allows water in the filter chamber to discharge. I allow a few gallons to discharge and close the sludge discharge valve. I do this so that the floating beads are close to the bottom of the chamber. Then I turn on the blower for a minute or three. Then I backwash per manufacturer's directions. By having the water level lowered within the chamber, I do not get much if any settlement sludge on the bottom of the filter. During backwash, the beads are scouring the bottom of the unit.

After backwashing a few minutes, I use the rinse function for just enough time to re-fill the unit completely. Then, allow it to stand a minute. Algae glarf caught in the beads and not removed during the backwash is set free by re-filling the unit using the rinse function. The glarf settles on the bottom of the unit. With all valves closed and the unit set on 'rinse', I open the valve feeding water to the pump and open the sludge discharge valve on the unit. The glarf that has settled on the bottom is flushed out without losing beads.

We are done. Time expended: maybe 15 minutes.

I like my bead filter very much. However, I learned the hard way that a bead filter must be preceeded by good mechanical filtration. They are excellent for removal of fine debris and good for nitrification. They are a terrible as the main mechanical filter. They quickly become clogged and deteriorate into a rotting source of pollution unless algae and large debris are captured before getting to the bead filter. And, the weekly maintenance becomes very time consuming due to the work required to remove clogged media.

Bumping up for N2.

bead filter

Thanks Mike
    It is what it is until it isnt.....

Similar for my Aquadyne 4.4 filters. The difference is I have Cetus units as large leaf baskets in front of the pumps. The filters don't load up ...no growing back pressure.

Love them 'dynes.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.