Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: New To Spawning !

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like

Question New To Spawning !

I recently upgrade from a small pond to a large out door pond with a large waterfall this past fall.It's 17 ft Length/long 12ft Wide/accross by 2.5 ft deep(Shallow end) by 5 ft deep(Deepest end)

My question for you ?Since this is my first time spawning the kois, how can I tell the differnt kois ? I plan on Breeding my platuim ogon/scaless(Female),with my Gin Rin Koi and Becko(Males) Then I have a Female Kohaku, Thinking about with Tancho and Diotsu(males). Is thier a way to figure which would be a better breading pair for spawning. Or should I switch up the males ? Since I'm still new to spawning any help will be great. The kois arent spawning yet since its still winter here in KY. But I'm looking forward spawning the kois this spring. I like to plane ahead, so when the time is near I'll already know what to do.

Thanks,

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where do you plan on spawning them? It takes a large qt tank at least and then ammonia is a problem as a lot of it is produced in the spawning process. Many fish get an ammonia burn if not monitored closely. Then where will you raise the fry? Remember you could have 100,000 or more to start. Many more questions to ask before you worry about posible breeding trio....later...Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    From the sound of the set up and experience you bring to koi spawning I would recommend the following: Let the fish do it. They will spawn on their own if they are mature and when the water temperatures become agreeable. Make a spawning area from plants, even something like some cedar branches, and let them go to it. This will give you a flock spawn and many more eggs than you can use. Take some of the eggs inside and put them into a tank or an aquarium with a sponge filter. These you can feed on artificial rotifers, too many of these will survive and you will learn a lot about fry. The ones in the pond will need food. If you have plants and algae in your pond some will find enough and the lot will be winnowed down to a few. You will still have to cull both lots. If you have a good eye out of the flock spawn you will find a few to be excited about. There are numerous threads about koi breeding, you still have plenty of time to read them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Assuming the male Tancho is a Tancho Kohaku, I would suggest matching him with your female Kohaku. You would then know to cull for Kohaku. With other pairings, it is hard to imagine what goal would be in mind.

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for your input it helps alot. I have a large indoor pen which I have in my garage that I use when I start to clean the pond. Which I was told by a friend who also has kois and had thier spawn naturally in her pond to use the indoor one b/c I would be able to motor them and able to move the parent safely back into the main pond without causing any damage or stress to the kois. But again thats just a opion. All my kois that I have are all ranging in ages but the ones I've mention are at the breeding age are 3 yrs old for the females and the males are 2 1/2 to 3 yrs old. I was trying to figure out the best thing to do when the time comes. If I should just let them naturally do what they do in the big pond and move the eggs in the holding pen or move the kois in the pen, then after the spawning is done move the kois back into the pond? either way I will keep doing my research. Like you said I have plenty of time to figure out what I'm going to do when that approaches. Thanks again everyone

Post Thanks / Like
    If you spawn a pair in the holding tank and then return immediately to your pond, you can expect all the males to gang up on the female, followed by a flock spawning. Risk of injury to the exhausted female is substantial. It is best for the female to be rested separately and allow the smell and hormones of spawning to dissipate over several days before placing her in a pond with more males.

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike, I will make sure to do that b/c I don't wont to risk to injury any of the kois. I might be thinking about investing in another holding pen to house the females after the spawning. Thats if I dont just let them do it natrually. I'm still going to do alot of researching. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DobbyKoi View Post
    Thanks Mike, I will make sure to do that b/c I don't wont to risk to injury any of the kois. I might be thinking about investing in another holding pen to house the females after the spawning. Thats if I dont just let them do it natrually. I'm still going to do alot of researching. Thanks
    Good advice from Mike, but a word of caution.
    There is ALWAYS risk to the females when spawning, even in the most carefully controlled conditions. The pro's lose females to spawning injuries virtually every year. Fortunately most injuries are minor in a controlled setting and heal fairly well. It is just one of the realities of breeding Koi
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats true Papabear, thats why I'm doing alot of research on spawning since I will be a newbie to it all. That if something pops up I'm mentally ready. I'm learning alot from just researching on the net and talk to other kois friends, seems like thier a never ending knowledge. Thanks for the internet and the koi forum.