Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bakki shower or nexus filter

If a shower filter is shut down for 3 months and is exposed to the elements outdoors, it seems to me that the biofilm will be killed off and take longer to re-establish nitrification in the Spring than using a fluidized bed. But, I am not experienced in such winter-keeping and defer to those with actual experience.

Our pair of Nexus never have to completely reestablish themselves. The K1 in the them right now is tan, not a dead white. The bakki house media will start developing a bacteria colony again when I put them on line. But this time of year I neither need them for ammonia handling nor for aeration. Come spring when the pond load goes up...so do the showers.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Tosai
    1. Is money a factor? no
    2. What are your goals with the hobby? grow large quality koi
    3. What quality koi will you be stocking? premium select japan import
    4. Is koi size/growth important to you? yes
    5. What is your proposed koi stocking density? 40 per1000gal and than once koi 12inches will be at 15 p er 1000 i will sell/give away as their growing and keep teh ones i really like
    6. I assuming you will be using K1 for the Nexus. What about shower media? Which type of media will you be using? lave rock
    7. Is the pond near trees? If so, then will you be installing a skimmer circuit?no and not sure if will have skimmer or just two bottom drains
    8. Will you be installing a heater? not as of now

i considered making it bigger but just limited to space this is going to be a raised pond.

OK, a couple of points based on your answers below.

Quote Originally Posted by glupo View Post
    1. Is money a factor? no
    2. What are your goals with the hobby? grow large quality koi
    3. What quality koi will you be stocking? premium select japan import
    4. Is koi size/growth important to you? yes
    5. What is your proposed koi stocking density? 40 per1000gal and than once koi 12inches will be at 15 p er 1000 i will sell/give away as their growing and keep teh ones i really like
    Based on answers 1, 2, and 3, your proposed stocking densities are too high for either a nexus or a Shower.
    6. I assuming you will be using K1 for the Nexus. What about shower media? Which type of media will you be using? lave rock
    Lava Rock is a poor media to use. If you still decide to go with it, plan on changing it out, perhaps 1 tray per month.
    7. Is the pond near trees? If so, then will you be installing a skimmer circuit?no and not sure if will have skimmer or just two bottom drains
    Trees or no trees, you'll need a skimmer, on a seperate circuit.
    8. Will you be installing a heater? not as of now
    If no heater, what are your plans for the koi during the winter months?

i considered making it bigger but just limited to space this is going to be a raised pond.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Steve is right. Your goals are contrary to your planned stocking densities. You can grow a few large, nice Koi or you can stunt a lot of smaller, mediocre Koi. Pick one or build bigger both in terms of pond and filtration.

Showers seem to kick in rapidly once they're up and running, but speaking as one who has used lava rock semi-successfully in the past I can say you'll be happier with something larger and lighter. That crap is heavy and a real pain to service when it is needed.

You would do well to pay one of the best Koi Breeders in the entire USA a little visit for some pointers. It just so happens one such fellow isn't very far from you Not far at all

Hey fella's. When is the first spring time event at Nissai anyway?
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

At the moment, Larry, I think everyone in NJ is wondering if Spring is a myth. They've had more snow than Buffalo.

Yeah Mike. We've been setting records around these parts too. I can't remember one like this in at least 20-25 years.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Jumbo
    It sounds like your taking your Koi pretty seriously. 1st 3500 gallons isn't enough to do what you want unless you watch the number of fish you put in your pond. If you can, go bigger, deeper, or raise the pond a couple of feet above ground.

I would take a shower over a moving bed filter any day of the week. I have run both here and the shower out preforms the M/B hands down. Plus you can put an extractor on the outlet of the shower and now you have an excellent foam fractionator. (see picture)

I prefer to use BD water for my showers as a shower will super saturate the water with oxygen and bottom water tends to be lower in oxygen than surface water. I would run the BD water through some kind of settlement, vortex, or sieve, then pump to the shower.

Media, I prefer feather rock but have used lava rock also. If you have enough flow you won't have any problem with lava rock. Feather rock is lighter and more porous, there fore working better.

I think flow is important for a shower. I believe you need 2000 gph flow for every sq foot of surface area in your tray. So if you were using trays 1 by 4 feet, 4 sq feet of surface area I would recommend a min. of 8,000 gph through it.

Yes, a shower is loud, wet, and obtrusive. And in the winter if not covered or some how protected from the elements it will cool your water. So if used year round you will want to cover it some how.

One finial note, I use my skimmers for mech/fines filtration. Feeding it to bead filters or DIY sand/gravel filters.

You can see how I set up my shower and foam extractor here.

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/pond-c...ion-re-do.html

Tosai
    Birdman

So your shower acually doesn't flow directly into your pond it goes into a filter afterwards. i thought it had to be teh last part in the filter system.

ok so what type of filtration do you think i should use if the stocking density is to much, i plan on doing 10% water changes every other day. and i will be hooking up a filter skimmer, but why do i need a seperate pump for that?

during the winter i am just going to have a bubbler going.

Papabear who is this guy in NJ your talking about

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by glupo View Post
    Birdman

So your shower acually doesn't flow directly into your pond it goes into a filter afterwards. i thought it had to be teh last part in the filter system.
    No, it actually goes straight to the pond. When I did this set up I wasn't sure how well the foam extractor would work, so I piped the outlet line into an empty tank to catch any excess foam. The tank is empty. The foam extractor worked so well that no foam reaches the tank.

All I use for biological filtration is the shower. Then I use DIY sand/gravel filters off the skimmer for mech/fines filtration.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast