Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unhappy Koi

well you best be digging Lawanna....Fred and Ginger need that new pond finished and filled!

Leslie, if you live close to a pet store, many will test your water for free. I know SuperPetz will. And one of my other local fish stores does as well. Until you get a test kit. I guess you wouldn't want to go in every week. But they probably wouldn't mind at a big chain. At least you could get one test anyway if you don't want to keep going back.
    ...enjoy your day!
    5500 gllns, Ultima II 4000, Tarpon 6000, 1 Multi-Cyclone Prefilter, 2 - 5500 gph pumps, 1 Retro BD, 1 skimmer, max depth 4', 5% trickle 24/7 weather permitting

Quote Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
    Boy I'm just diggin my hole abit deeper ain't I ....
    Lawanna
    As long as you are diggin' lets make the pond bigger and use a double sink!!!!
    It is what it is until it isnt.....

Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    Leslie, if you live close to a pet store, many will test your water for free. I know SuperPetz will. And one of my other local fish stores does as well. Until you get a test kit. I guess you wouldn't want to go in every week. But they probably wouldn't mind at a big chain. At least you could get one test anyway if you don't want to keep going back.
    good idea, The closest Large Pet store is over an hour away, but I will make it a point to take a sample next time I go that way. Thanks,, Les
    Koiboy98

Quote Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
    sounds like you may be dealing with the same thing I am...I was overcrowded and then a huge spawn..the koi stopped eating so I knew something wasn't right---I had to go buy a new testing kit mine was old and shure enough my ammonia,nitrates and nitrites were off....I did a 50% water change added 2lbs of salt per 100 gallons the first day..It took me 3 days of water changes to get the readings down...I wouldn't scrub down the sides---I would up my water changes and check those parimeters..I'm sure others can give you great suggestions on filtration and pump size....on a budget can be tuff but,not impossible--my bottom drains are salad bowls-my skimmer a dog dish...my machanical filter is a commercial sink--my bio filter a 55 gallon barrel full of odd and ends--I am adding a additional barrel full of k1 and O2 to help hold these guys over till I can get their new pond done....good luck to you--I know how stressful all of this can be...there are some great folks here that can really help if you let them and listen...Sandy, Bill and Meg have sure helped me this last week....
    Lawanna

All's well! Thanks for the input. I feel a bit better about my setup now too! Les
    Koiboy98

Leslie-

I would guess your pond volume to be just under 3000 gallons depending on whether your walls are sloped, or your corners are rounded and the depth of your shelfs. You need a pump that moves a minimum of 1500 gallons per hour.

Mike
    Mike Pfeffer
    Northern Midwest ZNA show
    June 19 - 20, 2010
    Season's Garden Nursery
    Fishers, IN

You are right!

Quote Originally Posted by l113892 View Post
    Leslie-

I would guess your pond volume to be just under 3000 gallons depending on whether your walls are sloped, or your corners are rounded and the depth of your shelfs. You need a pump that moves a minimum of 1500 gallons per hour.

Mike
    The pond is about 3000 gallons. I don't know the gallonage is for the pump running in it, but it seems to be doing the job. They have been in there and doing fine for years, till this spring. After that bout of whatever it was they are doing great now. There are about a half million babies to prove it! I did several water changes and salted them down and after the water change they perked back up. Thanks for your help, Les
    Koiboy98

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12