Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spawning

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like

Spawning

Hello once again. I have a question for everyone I had 2 female Koi's spawn this year. Lucky I caught them in time before they started. So the night before the spawning took place I set up two breeding tanks, one for each female with thier own spawning mops and pumps. This is my first time spawning my kois actually. When is the best time to start culling ?and secound what percentage would the kois fry be ? Here is the parent of the two spawning.

Tank 1: I had my 4yr old Butterfly Hariwake/female spawn with my 2 1/2 yr old Kohaku and 3 yr old Sanke males.

Tank 2: I had 3 yr old Platinum Ogon female which she spawn with a 2 yr old Sanke male and 2 yr old Showa Male

Post Thanks / Like
    You have such a mix of genes in each spawning tank that there is just no telling what matter of fish could pop up. I'd suggest you decide on a goal for each spawning and cull down to no more than 10% of the fry after 1 month (or sooner if you can tell what you have.) Since you used metallic females in both spawnings, I'm guessing you like metallics. So, why not aim for super shiny longfins in the first batch, and kin showa in the second batch? If you go for kin showa, you can cull everything that lacks black right away. Then cull everything that lacks shine after 30 days. That should get you down to relatively few fish to raise.

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    You have such a mix of genes in each spawning tank that there is just no telling what matter of fish could pop up. I'd suggest you decide on a goal for each spawning and cull down to no more than 10% of the fry after 1 month (or sooner if you can tell what you have.) Since you used metallic females in both spawnings, I'm guessing you like metallics. So, why not aim for super shiny longfins in the first batch, and kin showa in the second batch? If you go for kin showa, you can cull everything that lacks black right away. Then cull everything that lacks shine after 30 days. That should get you down to relatively few fish to raise.

Well when I originally set up my large koi pond I plan on having sanke,showa and Kohaku. But then I found Butterfly Hariwake & Platinum which I feel in love with at a koi farm. Since this was my first time to spawning any of my kois, I try'd mixing up the kois to see the out come would be, and see what I might need to change in the next spawning season.

So, I think your right Mike I'll seat down tonight and figure out a goal for each spawning and start planing the culling process and getting them down to 10%. So I need to look for anything with shiny longfins in the 1st breeding tank and then look for possible kin showa in the secound tank.

Thanks Mike for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DobbyKoi View Post
    Well when I originally set up my large koi pond I plan on having sanke,showa and Kohaku. But then I found Butterfly Hariwake & Platinum which I feel in love with at a koi farm. Since this was my first time to spawning any of my kois, I try'd mixing up the kois to see the out come would be, and see what I might need to change in the next spawning season.
    To me this would be like mixing up different breeds of dogs to see what the out come would be.

The outcome is a bunch of "mutts".

When you cross a Kohaku (from a known Japanese breeder) with a Butterfly Hariwake (from an American breeder) you are basically undoing years and generations of selective breeding in my opinion.

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    To me this would be like mixing up different breeds of dogs to see what the out come would be.

When you cross a Kohaku (from a known Japanese breeder) with a Butterfly Hariwake (from an American breeder) you are basically undoing years and generations of selective breeding in my opinion.
    That probably is true ricshaw, this is my first time even spawning the kois and I haven't put really much thought into the genetic part, I'm still learning about their gentic and what koi bloodline goes with what..Probably by when the next spawning season I'll do a better job in pairing the kois,so by then I would get more since of what their gentics/bloodline is. I'm still learning things everyday that I didn't know about kois. Thats why I'm glad I have the internet and bookstores.

Thank,
    J

Post Thanks / Like
    That probably is true ricshaw, this is my first time even spawning the kois and I haven't put really much thought into the genetic part, I'm still learning about their gentic and what koi bloodline goes with what..Probably by when the next spawning season I'll do a better job in pairing the kois,so by then I would get more since of what their gentics/bloodline is. I'm still learning things everyday that I didn't know about kois. Thats why I'm glad I have the internet and bookstores.
    Thank,
    J
    ???

Was this an unplanned accidental Koi pond spawn or

was this a "planned" spawning attempt by you?

I have had "gang Koi spawn" in my pond and have saved some of the fry and watched them grow. It is fun to watch them grow.
    Eventually, they ALL end up in the local pet store feeder goldfish bin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank,
    J
    My advice is to pair like varieties together ie: Kohaku to Kohaku.

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    ???

Was this an unplanned accidental Koi pond spawn or

was this a "planned" spawning attempt by you?

I have had "gang Koi spawn" in my pond and have saved some of the fry and watched them grow. It is fun to watch them grow.
    Eventually, they ALL end up in the local pet store feeder goldfish bin.
    Well it kinda a unplanned spawning b/c I just got done doing a big clean up in the big koi pond 2 days earlier,and already new that soon spawning season was going to start. I didnt think that I would possible triger off the spawn,b/c of the water changes, but a friend told me that might caused them to spawn early. So by the following day I noticed that the female's was starting to be chased by the males in the pond. So later that day I started to put up the holding tanks just in case they started to spawn. By the following morning they started early so lucky I caught them in time before they did anything and placed each koi in a tank left only 2 males with one female and after they got done spawning I placed the males back in my pond and placed both girls in the same hold tank. So by the time everything was done I really didnt put much thought on pairing or genetics b/c I thought I had more time then I did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it kinda a unplanned spawning b/c I just got done doing a big clean up in the big koi pond 2 days earlier,and already new that soon spawning season was going to start. I didnt think that I would possible triger off the spawn,b/c of the water changes, but a friend told me that might caused them to spawn early. So by the following day I noticed that the female's was starting to be chased by the males in the pond. So later that day I started to put up the holding tanks just in case they started to spawn. By the following morning they started early so lucky I caught them in time before they did anything and placed each koi in a tank left only 2 males with one female and after they got done spawning I placed the males back in my pond and placed both girls in the same hold tank. So by the time everything was done I really didnt put much thought on pairing or genetics b/c I thought I had more time then I did.
    Yep, water changes and full moons can trigger a spawning.

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like

Really you are not "undoing" anything. You still have your Japanese fish and your American fish. A first spawning attempt IS very unlikely to make a grand champion, but will give insight into the difficulty of breeding champions and raising and culling fry. If you do well and love it then maybe that is the time to invest in fish of a better bloodline and attempt improving the breeding. This is still not likely to happen with a hobbiest. But the hobbiest CAN have fun and improve his koi husbandry. AND maybe get a pretty homebred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast