Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: still confused about nitrAte...yes or no?

Post Thanks / Like

still confused about nitrAte...yes or no?

is it normal to have a 0 reading? some hobbyist say... not possible if the bio filter is functioning correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nitrate is a byproduct of the nitrifying process in the bio-filter. If you have a zero nitrate reading, then there are two possible causes. Either the bio conversion is not functioning, or the test kit is bad. What is the ammonia and nitrite readings?

Honmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    Nitrate is a byproduct of the nitrifying process in the bio-filter. If you have a zero nitrate reading, then there are two possible causes. Either the bio conversion is not functioning, or the test kit is bad. What is the ammonia and nitrite readings?
    Another possibility is that the ambient level is low enough not to read on the test kit. Off gassing and water changes could account for this but even still most ponds will have at least a minimal reading.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's pretty unusual to have no nitrAte reading at all unless your system is just started or maybe been heavily treated with resins that remove nitrAte or as Carolina says " you have not nitrifying cycle established" for some other reason ( like excessive chemical treatments hiting a small filter surface).
    I suppose there is that 'moment' when constant water changes are at a rate that your system moves from closed to semi-open and then semi-open to open and your readings are diluted to unmeasurable with a color kit or your bioreactor becomes trult 'back ground' activity and is unmeasurable.

In the past when I visited a pond that has no NitrAte reading ( which as I said is rare) I begin checking for nitrIte and ammonia as I make the assumption that if there is no 'end nitrogenous waste product' then I want to back track and see if the other intermediaries are present. It's been my experience that when a hobbyist has hit ponds with over the counter fish meds, PP and other compounds over a long period of time, the bioreactor is usually knocked way back and you get a mixture of nitrIte and some ammonia readings. Usually the remedy is a water change, salt and time- especially time. And in a few days to as much as 10 days ( ironically too much of a water change and the time interval is retarded) , the nitrIte subsides and nitrAte starts to be detectable again. JR

Post Thanks / Like
    Nitrate cannot be reduced by off gassing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Plants will use nitrate as food. Also it is possible for anaerobic bacteria to convert it back to nitrite but to create and maintain such conditions is difficult in a pond application.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by APOLONASGR36 View Post
    Plants will use nitrate as food. Also it is possible for anaerobic bacteria to convert it back to nitrite but to create and maintain such conditions is difficult in a pond application.
    Thanks............

Post Thanks / Like

True.

The off-gassing (through use of shower filters and such) reduces the level of ammonia, resulting in less available to be turned into nitrate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    True.

The off-gassing (through use of shower filters and such) reduces the level of ammonia, resulting in less available to be turned into nitrate.
    Ammonia is not "off-gassed" in a shower either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    True.

Respectfully Mike, that is totally false. The only thing that a shower is reducing is DOC's through the foaming action.DOC's that now will not have to show up as TAN (ammonia) Less ammonia to be converted to nitrate. That is the function of a Shower filter.
    Ammonia has a very strong chemical bond to the water that cannot be off gassed.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast