Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Building a Koi Pond

Sansai

Building a Koi Pond

Hello,
    This is the first forum I have figured out how to post on!
    I have aproximately a 10,000 gallon hole I have dug in my back yard. After the fact Digging it, I realized How much everything was going to cost and WOW! Anyway, What I really thought I wanted initially was a (plug and play) system from advantage with two 10-bead filter systems. But with my smaller budget I can't afford this. I was wondering if anyone here has ever heard of the DIY skippy rubbermaid filtering system? I have read and read and read on these and am SOLD, I think i'll use a couple of these 150 gallon tubs to filter my (hopefully soon built pond). Anyone agree with these kind of home made filters?
    Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Hello,
    This is the first forum I have figured out how to post on!
    I have aproximately a 10,000 gallon hole I have dug in my back yard. After the fact Digging it, I realized How much everything was going to cost and WOW! Anyway, What I really thought I wanted initially was a (plug and play) system from advantage with two 10-bead filter systems. But with my smaller budget I can't afford this. I was wondering if anyone here has ever heard of the DIY skippy rubbermaid filtering system? I have read and read and read on these and am SOLD, I think i'll use a couple of these 150 gallon tubs to filter my (hopefully soon built pond). Anyone agree with these kind of home made filters?
    Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    It would be better to use a 3 - 4 300 gallon poly tanks.

This is a 22,000 gallon pond I visited last year in Southern California

filtered with, I think there are 8, of these DIY barrel filters that appear to be copies of the original, old school Frank Caswell's "super filter" published in AKCA Koi USA magazine.

The filter poly tanks look to be around 300 gallons (or bigger) each.
    The filter media is most likely sand, gravel, and/or rock.

Sansai
    WOW! that's really quite impressive, I just don't think my girlfriend would like all those huge things in my yard! I better think of some alternative.

it is best to go ahead with plans and find out if she is able to withstand the koi addiction now better than later, less aggrivation that way

read....
    Help me tweak the airlift on my new pond
    and
    Home built filters
    and then read more! you will spend more money trying to get by and winging it than if you do it right the first go around

welcome to the maddnes..

Sansai
    The funny part is that they are HER FISH! and she wants a BIGGER pond! She is even willing to help work on it, she just doesn't want to read, research and get educated on all the NEEDS to keep bio filter and fish happy in order to thrive and survive and keep the pond a clean maintenance'less pond. She Just wants it UP AND RUNNING! which I do to, But i figure we get one shot at this, and the filteration can be upgrated latr but all plumping and layout of the pond is a one shot deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    it is best to go ahead with plans and find out if she is able to withstand the koi addiction now better than later, less aggrivation that way

read....
    Help me tweak the airlift on my new pond
    and
    Home built filters
    and then read more! you will spend more money trying to get by and winging it than if you do it right the first go around

welcome to the maddnes..
    2 big things I agree with here.
    #1 it really is worth doing it right. I bought my house with a "rigged" koi pond and having to deal with what they set up has been a major headache. Submersible pump hanging over the side in an old waterhose to too small a filter system with plenty of places for improvment. Best advice I can say with these guys is take pictures, draw digrams of what you want to do and post them. Will help to give advice and help u out
    #2 Welcome to the Maddness lol. indeed!