Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Koi Price ?!

Koi Price ?!

When I study the US & UK web site,

I found that the koi on sale is normally much expensive than that I observed locally.

How's your feeling?

Jumbo

Prices

Jason

Are you referring to prices in Hong Kong or Japan?
    Mark Gardner

Tosai
    Jason

You will find that the prices differ a lot in the UK and US, and so do the quality on the Koi offered.

It cost a lot of mony for the dealer to travel to Japan and hand pick the koi you know, Mark could tell you more about that :roll: :lol: :lol:

Lars

Dealers have a place

...but the commoner that keeps koi cannot buy quality koi through a dealer. And every dealer's (and koi elitists') favorite quote is, " There are cheap koi, and there are good koi, but there are no cheap good koi." it is sort of a mantra.

Well, there are reasons for costs. One is supply vs demand. I have a rinko magazine from '89, or so, that states if a dainichi koi did not get the asking price it was "buried". They were referring to the pride of koi breeders, but it sounds like a sound business practice. Keep the supply low, yet increase your business's esteem.

And as to dealer's going to japan and hand picking koi.....I can understand that. Wealthy people relate to their money just like I do. This past year I spent 12% of my Gross income on koi. That is more than I spent on electricity, or car insurance. So what's 100,000 to an extremely wealthy addict. He can have a trained I go pick out some polished koi.

But back to your main issue. The supply of koi is huge over there compared to here(US). The supply of MONEY over here is HUGE. And what should a koi cost?

Jumbo
    '...but the commoner that keeps koi cannot buy quality koi through a dealer.' - why not?
    Mark Gardner

I mean the price in Hong Kong,

However I recognized there are heavy costs on travelling.

Jumbo
    Jason

Too be honest i'm not over familiar with the prices in Hong Kong to be able to draw a comparison.

I would suggest the fixed costs of trasporting koi to Hong Kong from Japan are probably significantly different and also there is considerably less risk given journey time.

Then of course exchange rates will have an effect of the actual price of the koi to the dealer and obvously market forces as well.

In the UK there are some places that sell crap koi to unsuspecting buyers for high prices (garden centre type outlets and general aquatic stores) and some delars that sell high quality for considerably more realistic prices.

Comparing costs from pics is pretty difficult I guess.

Mark
    Mark Gardner

Mark,

Understand, and

Thx.

Jason

mark,

I guess we'd have to hash out what is a "quality" koi, and what is a commoner.

Quality koi are the highest quality or show koi to me. And the commoner is someone in the lower half of the middle class.

A dealer has a limited number of chosen koi to make his living from. His quality picks of quality koi will not be within the price range of the common man. There are exceptions and I am pretty sure you will explain them...buying a sow's ear and it turning into a silk purse.

I'm not talking about "quality pond fish" (oxymoron used to make someone feel better).

Jumbo
    Which show?
    Mark Gardner

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast