Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes for a good Soragoi?

Fry
    Post Thanks / Like

What makes for a good Soragoi?

I know they're not particularly well liked, but I have fallen in love with this type. The fact that two of the three koi I rescued from the feeder goldfish tank are this variety sort of helps.

I do know that these are fast growers, and personable... but aside from that, I've never seen any pointers in regards to things like color, i.e intensity, shade, whatever.
    I know that good body conformation would have to be a must, but is there anything else?

My own fish are a very light silver gray, but I've seen some soragoi on the net that are far darker, like storm cloud gray.

*looks around nervously then hides*

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is my Sorigoi, sorry it's a bit big for the small bowl. Her head colour changes with the seasons, from grey the same as the body colour to browny/grey as it is in the photo.

Maurice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please do not be ashamed of falling in love with any type of koi. We are all in love with CARP here, after all. Each and everyone of us are rare and crazy birds and must support each other in our addiction.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my favourites and always the first to be noticed by visitors because of her friendly nature.
    Jaco
    Jaco Vorster
    South Africa

Fry
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thankyou for the beautiful pictures. ^_^

Jaco, your big girl is the same color as my two little guys. Nice to finally see another light colored one out there!

I wish that I had proper pictures of my fish, but Yuki refuses to stay calm in a bowl for photos and will only actually stay still in my hand. -_- This naturally results in a side shot, so it doesn't really tell you much about him.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have liked Soragoi since first one I saw, but never gotten one. If I see a speckle of a different color, or lack of even color on the head, or scales not perfectly aligned, etc etc, I get turned off. Some day there will be a soft gray uniformly colored and I'll not be able to hold back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Their heads change color when the water is cooler, then change back. I like the pale dove blue ones. The silver gin rin scales go well with the blue grey skin. In disposition and build they are like a Chagoi and will do anything for food.

Jumbo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mummmm what makes for a good soragoi? One that doesn't eat you out of house and home! JR

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    MikeM: you mean like this one? http://www.champkoi.com/koi/koi_images/106_0666.jpg

I really liked this one, but didn't end up buying it because of the imperfections you mentioned. http://www.champkoi.com/koi/koi_images/PA260024.jpg

No Soragoi for me. Not yet. No chagoi types at all... but I think it would be hard to beat a couple of my Showas for friendliest fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    for tosai selection go with all you have to select from in the same bowl.
    many times this koi are the results of ochiba culling so be sure and check to make sure there is no wayward scale clusters showing brown/gold.
    after checking for body shape to include long head I always select the lightest colored one available. I've noticed in the NW region of the U.S. they darken as they grow and that keeps them from getting darker gray than what shows off the black nettting to good effect. I always thought if i ever tired of go sanke I would like to have a red and green chagoi,soragoi, and if I could ever find one again ( I saw it in the flesh so at least one koi existed) a blue cha. It was a male that was about 17 inches at the time. it was so expensive I couldn't see spending that much for a non gosanke. it still haunts me today, and I've foregotten hundreds of georgeous go- sanke! (lol) my experience is that they are friendly and healthy and that's a great start! I wouldn't fault anyone who finds them attractive!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast