Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Antibiotic - ever use this

Oyagoi

Antibiotic - ever use this

Liquamycin LA-200 Veterinary Information from Drugs.com

wondered if anyone has ever used this stuff on a koi.
    i have not needed a shot for years and used nuflur(from my cattle days)

well dad uses the la 200 for his sheep and wondered about using on a koi.i know after injection it gives a good "sting" to animals and was wondering about koi

just easier for me to get the la200 then nuflur now a days
    Paul Korf

member of:
    Midwest Pond and Koi Society
    Louisville Koi club
    IKONA

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by pskorf View Post
    Liquamycin LA-200 Veterinary Information from Drugs.com

wondered if anyone has ever used this stuff on a koi.
    i have not needed a shot for years and used nuflur(from my cattle days)

well dad uses the la 200 for his sheep and wondered about using on a koi.i know after injection it gives a good "sting" to animals and was wondering about koi

just easier for me to get the la200 then nuflur now a days

never used this compound before. But it is gram postive and gram negative-- very broad for mammals. But you need gram negative effectiveness for 99% of koi problems, so there many many better injectibles targeted specifically for gram negative bacteria. In addition, it is 200 mg for large cattle.. I think you need to be very careful with that concentration in fish that are just a few pounds typically. JR

Oyagoi
    any recommendations but easy to get hold of?

live in farm country so local stores carry so basic non-vet needed items.

course i can try a vet again for the nuflur (unless now it is easy to get that then 15 years ago)

will be used on larger koi(29 inch) but still no 4 legged size
    i know people use baytril but really not into catching fish for 3 times hence why i used nuflur in past
    plus really do not want to spend that much money on a bottle when i do not have a use for it (well hope i do not have much use for it)
    Paul Korf

member of:
    Midwest Pond and Koi Society
    Louisville Koi club
    IKONA

Antibiotics are not easy to get especially when you need them right now. About the best antibiotic for koi bacterial infections that is easily available via a fish friendly vet is baytril. I was not familiar with Liquidmyicin but I found it is a modified version of a older group of tetracycline drugs. It would not be a good choice for the type of gram negative bacteria that commonly infect koi. You want to look for treatment indications against Pseduomonas and aremonas and similar gram negative bacteria. Also the concentration of the drug you mentioned is too high except for very large koi.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

I use kanamycine, and the Japanese breeders consider it their No1 antibiotic of CHOICE...

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    Antibiotics are not easy to get especially when you need them right now. About the best antibiotic for koi bacterial infections that is easily available via a fish friendly vet is baytril. I was not familiar with Liquidmyicin but I found it is a modified version of a older group of tetracycline drugs. It would not be a good choice for the type of gram negative bacteria that commonly infect koi. You want to look for treatment indications against Pseduomonas and aremonas and similar gram negative bacteria. Also the concentration of the drug you mentioned is too high except for very large koi.
    You're so right Ray. I'm really happy that you re-enforced that point about 'stength' in the event I didn't make it clear enough in my post. It is very important and most 'first time injectors' gloss over the idea that doses and drugs for humans and then farm animals vs reptiles and fish is ' a horse of a different color!'
    Koi tolerate injectibles pretty well for a fish. part of this is due to size and weight compared to other ornamental fish we keep. And part is due to pretty active kidneys of a freshwater fish. But over dose is overdose and it can be very damaging on internal organs. It was Dr Galen Hansen of the AKCA judging program that reminded all of us years ago now that to 'kill off' invading bacteria all at once is also a bad idea! It sounds like it should be a good thing to kill all bacteria quickly. But if they are all killed in a spectacular event they will die alright, but also relaese toxin all at once! A case of the 'cure' killing the patient can occur!
    Most of these injectibles come in human strengths and pet strengths and live stock strengths. In truth, a cold blooded animal needs a reduced does to begin with.
    I suggest that anyone having real concerns or issues contact Dr Tim Miller Morgan, Dr Saint Ernes or Dr Scott Webber for the details on any one drug. JR

Attached is an article I did a few years back on Baytril. Many folks do not know there are 3 strengths with the strongest aimed at domestic farm animals. So you have to know the strength you have....the desired dosing rate....and tbe koi's size/weight...before you know how many CCs to inject.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baytril for Koi.pdf 
Views:	2661 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	36714
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Hello. I read the comments on one forum, I'm sure all paid, or sales agents write. I bought one drug a few weeks ago. I tried how it will behave on the body - a dummy. It didn't help me at all. Drank in 15 minutes before the alleged act - totally sucks. Even 2 tablets drank - the effect is zero. A drug purchased seems to be licensed. Guys, advise a proven drug for potency. Thanks.