Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Koyo

Koyo

With all the discussion about Kigoi below I thought I would post my only acquisition of 2003. It is a new variety called a Koyo (I've seen it spelled Kouyou also) which I believe means Autumn or Autumn Leaves. It's mother was a Soragoi and it's father a Kigoi. Not purchased to be a show koi but a pond pet. Very friendly and not spooky about eating!

Will try to post some pics. Thats my 4 year old son, Joseph, in two of them.

What do you think?

Regards,
    Kevin
    Kevin McGuire

Pics not uploading

Here they are. Found that my image size in pixels exceeded what is allowable here. FWIW I resized to 600x450 pixels and the images uploaded fine.
    Kevin
    Kevin McGuire

Kevin
    Is the yellow-gold all the same? It looks lighter toward the back the pattern seems uniform over the body which is a plus. I am not that good a looking at a picture and drawing a conclusion but the confromation looks good too. Is it so tame that it would eat out of your sons hand even in the photo dish? More pictures would be good.
    The perfect koi is always one purchase or spawning away!

Ochiba

Kevin-

It looks like an ochiba shigure. I know you like males; is it a male? By the way, how are you doing?

Mike Pfeffer
    Mike Pfeffer
    Northern Midwest ZNA show
    June 19 - 20, 2010
    Season's Garden Nursery
    Fishers, IN

Kevin,nice pics.
    Nice if you're children enjoy the hobby as much as you do.
    Jaco Vorster
    South Africa

More Pics

Here are some more pics. I attempted to get a close up of the side. I would say that the skin is not uniformily the same shade at this point. There seems to be maybe a little reticulation but it is definitely not reticulated like a good ochiba should be. With the eye the color looks like orange on grey. Not really good at the color wheel thing but maybe that is what the two colors produce.

Hi Sanke56,

This koi would eat from your hand in the display tank. It would try to eat from my hand the first day I had it in the Q-tank. Unsure whether it will stay this gregarious now that it is in the company of the rest of my fish but I hope so. The purchase was a little spur of the moment, I had planned to either get an ochiba sigure or a chagoi at some point for my pond but this seemed an interesting proposition.

Hi Mike,

I'm fine. Have been dealing with one of life's curveballs lately so I haven't been active on the boards for about 6 months. I read them daily for about 3 years... I see much has not changed (same arguments and positions and cast of characters.) I'm not sure if it is a male or female yet but I suspect a male. I tried feeling its operculum but can't say that it is one or the either. Are you planning on going to the meeting in Chicago on 2/21? I will be driving up with Dick. Looking forward to it.

Hi Jacovors,

I do enlist my son to feed the fish while I am traveling and he enjoys it. He gets more in the rocks than in the pond but what the hey, we have fun. At 4 he can readily identify 5 or 6 types of koi. But for Sanke and Showa they are all Sanke. I haven't tried to get to the finer point with him on this yet. (Hey, we adults get them mixed up, right?)

Take care,
    Kevin
    Kevin McGuire

pictures again

funny things going on... here they are again.
    Kevin McGuire

Kevin can't see the pics is it only my computer or did they not come thru?

Kevin can't see the pics is it only my computer or did they not come thru?

I can see them

Hi Sanke56,

I can view them from my computer. I believe they posted ok.

Kevin
    Kevin McGuire

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast