Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this Showa?

Post Thanks / Like

What do you think of this Showa?

Was think of picking this one up. It's a female, Nissai, from Narita Koi Farm.

Post Thanks / Like

Shoulder area

My only concern from the picture is the strength/depth of the hi in the shoulder.

Mike Pfeffer
    Mike Pfeffer
    Northern Midwest ZNA show
    June 19 - 20, 2010
    Season's Garden Nursery
    Fishers, IN

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the white. Makes for a crisp background. The hi pattern is interesting and great odome. I do not believe she will grow to be huge, but a fair size. The sumi is still too young to say, but looks like it could be very nice IF you like it "lightly applied". The sumi shadows seem to be in the right places to give weight to the smallish hi plates. ... complementary arrangement where the whole will be better than the parts.

MikeP questions the hi. ... and I'm the guy taking the risk of fading/weak hi on a showa because I fell for size. Between the M and the P bookends, there is a long shelf filled with books entitled "How my showa surprised me". Same title, but all different authors and storylines. .... If you are a John Edwards optimist, get it. If the cost makes you nervous, don't get it. MikeP has greater depth of experience than I. So he is the safer bet. ... I'd not get her because I prefer a bolder sumi pattern than I think she will have. If you want deep red hi (like on the GC at Phoenix last week?), this is not the one. Sorry to make it tough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has good proportion of hi sumi is less obvious but it does seem to be coming. What do you have to loose? I always buy a bunch of youngs ones that I like and see what happens I don't enter them in shows but I do like good bloodlines they are very important.
    The perfect koi is always one purchase or spawning away!

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this koi a clear showa or sanke? Does it have a black base or white? That is the question!
    The perfect koi is always one purchase or spawning away!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Mike P said it right. If you look at the right side of the koi as it is facing us in the photo and look at the shoulder beni you will see loose
    red scales and a scaloped edge. this is a sign of weakness and puts that important design element in question as to longivity.

I love kindai showa. i like them with equal amounts of the three colors.
    to me from a design stand point i like the black to be a strong show where it is. a saddle over the dorsal to anchor the design and black on the head and into the face. to me that still says showa even if it is a modern design. I still appreciate good black in the pecs altho from a show element none or black on one side and white on the other does not detract
    from an outstanding individual.

I think in expressing opinions on koi it's not fair to focus on the negative without giving equal recognition to the positives. the koi pictured here has good white and very nice black quality. altho I prefer more black to be hinting that over the years it will develop. If I were buying this koi and was satisfyed with the red quality, I would roll the koi over in the bowl and look on the underside. there on the fins ( anal and vent) i would look for
    black. if there then i would feel that more black would develop on the back side which shows to view. clear fins with no black means a lessened
    chance of more black coming up.

Post Thanks / Like
    hi dick as you like showa could you run some comments on one of mine and see what the good and bad that you see in it.
    this koi is just over 1yr old and has changed a lot.

paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul.
    Thanks for sharing the photo. What a nice koi! impressions......the black is awesome. where there is black it's pretty strong. look at the nice big head and the length between the eye and the gill cover. this gal has the genes to grow big! I sure hope you have a big pond to take advantage of her abilities. I like the red altho all her kiwa seems to be crispy clean as it should be yet the sashi, i can't read the depth of the color by scale to determine chances of finishing. wish I could see her in real life. no black on the pecs....no big deal with everything else so strong if you're thinking of showing her.
    For all of us can you share something of her bloodline/or breeder?

Post Thanks / Like
    hi dick
    thanks for your kind comments as im not that experianced as some but im allways trying to learn as much as possible and these forums realy help, the showa was from the breeder, manabu ogata, from ogata koi farm
    Takeshima, Yasutake-machi, Kurume City, Fukuoka Pref., Japan

paul

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote="dick benbow"]Paul.
    , i can't read the depth of the color by scale to determine chances of finishing. quote]

Dick: Would you(or anyone) mind giving us some lessons on how to evaluate depth of color? I am having difficult time grasping the concept. :lol:

Paul: It's gonna be a BIG mama! :shock:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast