Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pond idea to raise a dozen high quality jumbo gosanke in Pacific Northwest

Post Thanks / Like

Pond idea to raise a dozen high quality jumbo gosanke in Pacific Northwest

How would you build a pond if your goal was to raise a dozen high quality jumbo gosanke? How big would this pond be? What is the pond dimension? What type of filtration would you need? What is the TOR? What else do you have to consider in order to maximize the potential of these gosanke?

Just to throw in a few twists: (1) this pond will be built outdoors in the Pacific Northwest weather (Portland, Oregon to be exact); (2) you already have two Aqua Forte Ultrasieve III and one Cetus Sieve.

Post Thanks / Like
    To me a dozen gosanke would produce a pond overly boring. I'd like to see you consider a nice shiro utsuri,
    yamabuki, and Asagi to give your some variety.

I do love the kohaku in the avaitar, so atleast your off to a great start. We've discussed your pond numerous times, but I do appreciate your trying to get lots of input before implimenting. I'm hopeful you'll get lots of great input so no rock is left unturned.
    Dick Benbow

Post Thanks / Like
    Coach, I was just trying to see how fellow KB'ers would build their pond. We always talk about high quality gosanke but IMO, the more important topic for beginner hobbyists like myself should be how to maintain the quality of these gosanke by having the most efficient 'system' and good husbantry skills. Because what good does it do to learn how to pick out a 'tategoi' amongst the 'tateshita' when you only have the facility and/or husbantry skills to raise 'tateshita' at best?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    How would you build a pond if your goal was to raise a dozen high quality jumbo gosanke? How big would this pond be? What is the pond dimension? What type of filtration would you need? What is the TOR? What else do you have to consider in order to maximize the potential of these gosanke?

Just to throw in a few twists: (1) this pond will be built outdoors in the Pacific Northwest weather (Portland, Oregon to be exact); (2) you already have two Aqua Forte Ultrasieve III and one Cetus Sieve.
    OK, I'll have a 'go' at your project, Lam, though I have no experience with what your weather conditions might dictate up in the Great Northwest. I'm going to assume cost and available space, within reason, are not severely limiting factors. I'm also assuming you will NOT have it screened or covered, so some leaf fall and debris will need to be dealt with.

1) I'd start with a gunnite or shotcrete shell, done by a pool/pond builder who knows what they are doing, if you are not going to be the construction guru yourself. I'd make it a minimum of 5 feet deep -- 6 or 7 are even better. And I'd build it to provide a minimum of 500 gal. of water per fish -- more would be better as well, of course.

2) I'd have a minimum of two bottom drains, depending on the shape of the pond, and two top-of-the-line skimmers -- big and strong.

3) For filtration, I'm a big believer in the simpler the maintenance routine, the more likely a person is to stay on top of it, so therefore, I favor bead filters. I'd run the bottom drains through a pre-filter (many on the market - your choice), through a bead set-up like an Ultima, through your sieves, and back to the pond.

4) I'd have this set up as a pair of redundant filter systems. Two pumps (Sequence brand is my personal preference), with one pulling water from the drains, thru the pre-filter, through the bead filter, the sieve, then back into the pond through some well placed TPRS to provide good current. The second system would pull water from the skimmers, through your second set of pre-filters, beads, etc., and perhaps returned through a fountain, waterfall feature, etc. I'm not the type that goes around wearing a belt AND suspenders or anything like that, but having two, complete and independent systems just makes sense to me.

5) You didn't say what your water source looks like, but I'd plumb in a LARGE (2"?) line for adding water from a well for city system to aid in faster water changes. If on a well and your source water is 'good', I'd add an auto-fill valve to keep your pond full at all times. If on city water with chlorine/chloramenes, that's a different matter. It's like having a pointed gun at your fish should that valve develop a problem and start dumping chlorinated water into your pond while you are away. The point is, you want a better, faster way to refill your pond after your water changes than just standing there with a hose. (And I assume EVERYONE does their water changes quite regularly!). Of course, given good source water, a constant trickle system is the best of all.

6) Be sure to put in an over-flow feature on you pond for rain water, over filling, etc. Seems basic to me, but I've seen $80K swimming pools that didn't have one. What were they thinking!?!

I'd skip a UV if you've found the 'weaker' sunlight in the NW does not create an algae problem for you, and though I know we'll hear from many others about Bakki showers, moving fluid beds, matala mat 'scrubbers', etc., my thoughts were to keep it simple to maintain, yet still provide the environment to grow some large koi, given good genetics to begin with.

Just my personal dos centavos, so it will be interesting to see what others, especially living in your area, come up with.

And best of luck if this is an upcoming project for you, Lam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    Coach, I was just trying to see how fellow KB'ers would build their pond. We always talk about high quality gosanke but IMO, the more important topic for beginner hobbyists like myself should be how to maintain the quality of these gosanke by having the most efficient 'system' and good husbantry skills. Because what good does it do to learn how to pick out a 'tategoi' amongst the 'tateshita' when you only have the facility and/or husbantry skills to raise 'tateshita' at best?
    You would need at least 12,000 gal of water. You would nave to purchase Nisai in the early spring if you did not have a mud pond for growth. Then you should start with about 20 fish reducing each year as they grow.
    I was thinking of doing something along the same lines. Subject to health, my age and the fact that my land
    has been rezoned for building residential housing.
    I allready have a 7,000 pond in my greenhouse as well as a mud pond. So I would be looking for tosai in the early spring. If avaiable I would send $20,000 to Maedo San and ask him to select 20 tosai for me which I would put in my mud pond. I would then sell off till I reduced to about eight. If I did not have a mud pond I would buy 10 Nisai at the auction but that would cost consderably more.
    I am a firm believer that to get the full potential of raising koi the first few years should be summers in a mud pond
    Regards
    Eugene

Post Thanks / Like
    Some very good points. Thank you guys!

Eugene, wish I have a mud pond to play with.

Post Thanks / Like
    The answer for me would be Japanese style with chamber after chamber of J-Mat.
    Koi-Unit

ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Post Thanks / Like
    Try to find the long thread in about the building of Henry Culpepper's pond around (5?) years ago. You would want a slightly larger pond than his.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Post Thanks / Like
    The one I'm planning will be around 10000g, rectangular with rounded corners, 2 bottom drains, 2 skimmers, 3 midwater returns. BDs will gravity flow to 300g radial flow settler attached to each BD, airlift to Bacti-Twist #50 static fines filtration to Cermedia static biofiltration chamber and back to 2 TPRs and GPR with no lift over water level. Skimmers will flow through Ultrasieve to S&G filters to TPRs on a separate circuit, bypass to above water returns (sheet style waterfalls) for cooling when necessary. That's what I'm planning, I think it should be excellent to raise a few quality fish in. If I had different source water with some kh in it, I would rethink the skimmer circuit. My source has no kh or gh, pH 7.0, so I use the S&G filter media to add the necessary carbonate hardness and to maintain pH above 7.0.
    Will Schultze
    (931) 338-6174

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike A., are you talking about this build?! Impressive!

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/main-f...struction.html

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast