Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Pond idea to raise a dozen high quality jumbo gosanke in Pacific Northwest

Post Thanks / Like
    Lam, since we haven't had a chance to talk, here is my pond design.

River flow, 10'x25', 5-7' deep. 2 aerated bottom drains on deep end, 5' from rear wall. Each drain goes to a Cetus to an Evo 8500 gph pump to a set of 4 Birdman/Steve's showers with 650' pounds of feather rock. This returns through 4" pipe to a 3.5' wide sheet waterfall and 2 spitters on the shallow end. The 2 4" return pipes each have a protein skimmer (a "T" with a piece of plastic inserted to skim the DOC's). I also have the large EVO UV to install.

16" swimming pool skimmer in all corners, each going through 4" pipe. The 2 far end skimmers will be "Y'd" together just before a 4500 gph Evo pump then through 2" pipe and "Y'd" to split to 2 sand/gravel filters. The other 2 skimmers will do the same. All skimmers return through 2" pipe to 4 TPR's set 1' off the bottom of the shallow end.

Based on the gph of the 4 pumps, I would have 26,000 gallons per hour flowing but the sieves can only flow about 4500 gph each for a total of 9000 gph. The sand/gravel can only flow about 2500 gph each for a total of 10,000. So realistically, I'm probably going to have about 19,000 gph returning in approximately 11,000 gallons of water.

I'm setting it up as a semi flow through but haven't decided how much to flow daily yet.

Whatever you do, make sure the gunite or concrete guy knows what he's doing. I started out with doing a mono pour and after putting up the outer walls, the guy never came back. I don't think he knew how to finish it. The gunite guy comes along and did an awful job and that is being nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-16-12 Front view of pond.JPG 
Views:	1911 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	37641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-3-13 TPR plumbing from S-G.JPG 
Views:	340 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	37642  
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Post Thanks / Like
    The top drawing is Paint shopped to put grass, garden behind pond and ledgestone siding. The pond is 18" above ground.

Also, please, I'm begging you, don't use a rubber sealer unless it's Polyurea. I used Rubberizeit and I'm so sorry. The product is probably very good but if you have any moisture seeping up into the concrete/gunite, the Rubberizeit will not stick. Others have had the same problem with different paint on rubbers.

If I could do it over again, I'd use Xypex. It mixes in with the concrete or gunite as it's being applied so you don't have to do anything to seal it after. Meg used something different that works the same as Xypex but I can't remember the name.

Name:	10-26-12 Rubberizeit completed.JPG 
Views:	711 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	37643  

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck to you Kntry! I have been following your story on here. Sorry you had so much trouble on your build. Hope you are back on track.
    Si

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Si.

The gunite guy finally came back about 3 weeks ago. He drilled into the original pond, and put rebar studs, wired rebar and highway wire around the outside and applied a bonding agent. I made him widen the walls to 12" instead of 8", 18" down.

He chipped around all the intrusions to apply water stop cement and was supposed to come back the next day to apply it. He hasn't shown up. LOL I'm ok with that though. At least it should be structurally sound now.

Name:	1-21-13 Thicker pond walls.JPG 
Views:	342 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	37644   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-21-13 Width of collar.JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	37645   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-21-13 Wire to widen walls to 12 in.JPG 
Views:	296 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	37646  
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Thanks, Si.

The gunite guy finally came back about 3 weeks ago. He drilled into the original pond, and put rebar studs, wired rebar and highway wire around the outside and applied a bonding agent. I made him widen the walls to 12" instead of 8", 18" down.

He chipped around all the intrusions to apply water stop cement and was supposed to come back the next day to apply it. He hasn't shown up. LOL I'm ok with that though. At least it should be structurally sound now.
    That's good news! It does need to be at least 12" thick like that. My pond is only 4' deep but was required to be at least 12" thick to pass code. After some surfacing, mine came out to be over 13" thick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    Definitely a lot of things to think about. Definitely want this pond boiling with current and air bubbles but will be calm for viewing with the switch of a button.

Also, this is all about the koi and the pond is just a holding facility to showcase the koi. No bog filters. No in-pool lighting and water temp controlled 24/7.
    I have been thru this exact discussion with my brother in Texas years ago about his pond build. One of the plans we had was a simple pond house to protect from predators. He had troubles with herons and raccoons every year and he got sick of it. But he eventually opted to go with a more natural design and build a massive screen enclosure over his entire backyard. A lot of people in Texas and Florida have screen house over their backyard which makes the outdoor space very pleasant all year round.

Anyway, here was one of our sketch for a pond house. Do the pond first, then do the glass house. The glass house may even be cheaper than a water heater system! In your area, you may not need a water heater system if the pond is covered. It can't be that cold there right? The settlement tank should be outside of the house because it is stinky. The pumps should be outside too because they are loud. You can save some money by not having a finished floor between the pond and the house walls; just gravel it; better for drainage too.

Name:	pond house plan.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	37650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pond house plan 2.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	37651  

Oyagoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    if doing something inside -
    i have an indoor pond.now i do not have a sttlement tank just pumps that feed ultimas then BD circuit through a moving bed vented to outside
    anyway my pumps are indoors and are performance pro and i do not hear that at all behind a simple wooden privacy fence.

also watch your waterfall (if having one) so it does not get to big or bouncing to much as it will be uncomfortable loud in the room.

in pic waterfall has 3 flat stones to come over but trickles down through the rocks there is like a trough area for the 3 returns to spread out the water before going over the whole 17 feet wide
    pumps sit behind that fence area

Name:	100_1236.jpg 
Views:	965 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	37652  
    Paul Korf

member of:
    Midwest Pond and Koi Society
    Louisville Koi club
    IKONA

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lam get me twelve high quality tosai and I'll kiss your id put them in my pond and not worry about it.i have 18 fish in my 8000 gal pond and they reach 25 inches in 3 years skin looks just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rekoil10000 View Post
    Lam get me twelve high quality tosai and I'll kiss your id put them in my pond and not worry about it.i have 18 fish in my 8000 gal pond and they reach 25 inches in 3 years skin looks just fine.
    Bill, how am I gonna afford 12 high quality tosai when I can't even afford one for myself?! I have been following your g/o threads and am quite impressed with your koi growing skills. From my personal experience, I find that getting koi in the 20" range is an achievable task. It's when you start pushing koi from that 25-26" mark up to jumbo size that I find difficult. I believe that this is when you really need the extra pond volume to push them to their limit.

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your right they keep growing in my 25000 gal pond problem is we're never happy with what we have to get high quality girls you have to sell your house.show quality koi well let's just say its an expensive little hobby.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456