Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goshiki tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Goshiki tips?

Hello experts. You may remember me or maybe not from a while back. I am still keeping koi. Anyway, I have been pining for a Goshiki with a dark background. I don't know if there is anything I should look for in a 12 to 14 inch koi to help the odds. Any advice would be appreciated. Also what to look for in the hi. I do not show but I do appreciate nice koi. I have 11 koi in a 5500 gallon pond. I have two ultima II filters (4,000 & 6,000), a retro bd on 5500 gph and two multi-cyclone prefilters. Here was my pond in 2011: Koi Pond Peppy's Pond - YouTube I hope you think it isn't too shabby for a decent koi even though I have wrinkles in my liner and I don't have a gravity bd or shower or sieve. I don't plan to spend a pile of money but I do want to try to do the best I can within my budget for a Goshiki.
    ...enjoy your day!
    5500 gllns, Ultima II 4000, Tarpon 6000, 1 Multi-Cyclone Prefilter, 2 - 5500 gph pumps, 1 Retro BD, 1 skimmer, max depth 4', 5% trickle 24/7 weather permitting

Post Thanks / Like
    When it comes to young Goshiki, I always like to look below the lateral line to get a good picture of the quality of the white. It's still true , with the comparison about oil painting, the base color (shiroji) has a lot to do with what other colors look like that are coming thru a great base.
    Dick Benbow

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    When it comes to young Goshiki, I always like to look below the lateral line to get a good picture of the quality of the white. It's still true , with the comparison about oil painting, the base color (shiroji) has a lot to do with what other colors look like that are coming thru a great base.
    Thank you for answering me, Dick. Not sure if I can get a look below the lateral line. The closest place for me to buy koi is over four hours away so I usually peruse the Internet. Lots of videos out there now though so that does make it a bit easier.

If I want lots of black in an adult Goshiki, should I look for lots of black in a young Goshiki? Or is it basically a guessing game?
    ...enjoy your day!
    5500 gllns, Ultima II 4000, Tarpon 6000, 1 Multi-Cyclone Prefilter, 2 - 5500 gph pumps, 1 Retro BD, 1 skimmer, max depth 4', 5% trickle 24/7 weather permitting

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of different koi go under the label 'Goshiki'. To get what you want, check around for photos of the particular breeder's fish at different ages.

With the Kuro Goshiki types, the black can end up overpowering the red, covering it up. The ones that look 'perfect' as tosai or nisai may be far too black by age 4. One with sumi maturing slowly may end up pleasing you far longer. If the red is already showing smudges of black coming through, it is more likely than not that the red will become hidden, or be 'dirty', losing the sharp contrast that makes a Kuro Goshiki fluorescent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks mike

Keep in mind with tosai, the ones that tend to have everything up first (strong red and black) tend to be boys ....
    Dick Benbow

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    With the Kuro Goshiki types, the black can end up overpowering the red, covering it up. The ones that look 'perfect' as tosai or nisai may be far too black by age 4. One with sumi maturing slowly may end up pleasing you far longer. If the red is already showing smudges of black coming through, it is more likely than not that the red will become hidden, or be 'dirty', losing the sharp contrast that makes a Kuro Goshiki fluorescent.
    Thanks, Mike. I was wondering that about the black being too dark or showing through too soon.
    ...enjoy your day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    Keep in mind with tosai, the ones that tend to have everything up first (strong red and black) tend to be boys ....
    Good to know! I am striving for an all male pond.
    ...enjoy your day!

Post Thanks / Like

Three Goshikis

Hope I don't get in trouble posting pictures of koi for sale. I've seen others so I hope it's okay. Shopping for Goshiki on a budget is disappointing since there are some awesome Goshiki and of course you get what you pay for. I did find these three and had to up my budget a little. I was wondering if you anyone would be willing to offer opinions on a best choice. I don't seem to be able to hit enter and start a new line. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gishiki 1.jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	37838Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goshiki 2.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	37839Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goshiki 3.jpg 
Views:	511 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	37840
    ...enjoy your day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Of the three, I would choose #3, the light one. On the other two the sumi is spotting the beni. It will likely increase over time. The sumi on #3 will increae also, but hopefully not invade the beni. But, I cannot say whether #3 will become the Kuro Goshiki you want. I think it will slowly develop a black back, but the sides may stay white far enough up the flank that the white will remain visible. Still, #3 does not have the coarseness of #1 and does have a strong body for a male. If I had a male pond, I would enjoy this koi. The red in the pec may bother some. It does not bother me enough to choose one of the others. It makes him a bit flamboyant. The coloring on the head gives an impression that the slope of the head may be too sharp. I think that is an illusion caused by the coloring coming in. But, you should double check on that. A number of the leading dealers will email you a video clip that will allow you to see the movement of the fish for yourself. That will show you the head from different angles. [Yes, you should always check it out in person, but those of us who live no where close to a dealer know we have to rely on technology to do our own checking.]

BTW, I think you are doing it right to ask for input in advance of a purchase, and saying what you are wanting out of the koi... a male Kuro Goshiki that will last for more than a season or two. Often posters purchase first and then ask what people think, or whether they made a good decision. Not many are going to reply, 'no, you fool, what a dumb choice!'

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, if you look at the beni on the head of #1, you will see it has a thin white line along the edge. In my experience, this indicates retraction of the beni. The area is left white where the beni used to be. This does not mean that the beni will fade. It may or may not. I have seen the beni retract on Goshiki and stabilize leaving white areas for years... and stable bright beni for many, many years. It is something to note, because it indicates the possibility of further retraction. I do not know anyone who can reliably predict how much retraction will occur in a Goshiki.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast