Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goshiki tips?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Mike. I really appreciate your input. I like #3 also. The one red fin did bother me a tad but let's face it, when you're on a budget, you have to pick and choose what you want to sacrifice. There is a video of this koi and the nose is more rounded than some of my poor choices thus far and I don't know anything about the slopes of heads so I would be okay with less than optimal head slope. Good to know about the beni and white! I have inquired about this koi. I hope it's still available and they consider me a worthy enough koi owner to sell to. Fingers crossed!
    ...enjoy your day!
    5500 gllns, Ultima II 4000, Tarpon 6000, 1 Multi-Cyclone Prefilter, 2 - 5500 gph pumps, 1 Retro BD, 1 skimmer, max depth 4', 5% trickle 24/7 weather permitting

Post Thanks / Like

Quick note to say I decided on #3. It's scheduled to arrive on May 1st. Would like to have it yesterday but we're going out of town so I wanted to wait until we get back to receive it. Thank you Dick and Mike for all your help. I'll post a video when it gets here. This will be the best fish in my pond. I'm excited!! Thanks again. You'll never know how much I appreciate your expert input to help me choose wisely, especially since I rarely post anywhere anymore because I've been so crazy busy. Thank you Thank you!
    ...enjoy your day!
    5500 gllns, Ultima II 4000, Tarpon 6000, 1 Multi-Cyclone Prefilter, 2 - 5500 gph pumps, 1 Retro BD, 1 skimmer, max depth 4', 5% trickle 24/7 weather permitting

Post Thanks / Like
    So here is a video of the Goshiki if anybody is interested. I LOVE him so thank you Mike and Dick for the tips.

...enjoy your day!

Post Thanks / Like
    this one has a very interesting pattern on the head/face which I think goishiki need to have.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am glad you are happy with him and that he is so vigorously healthy after the long trip. He is going to add a whole new dimension to the pond.

In regard to the pattern, I have come to appreciate patterns in different ways. There are pattern standards for show, albeit weaker than in the past, which we normally focus on. These tend to be dissected into details, like crticizing a speck of red on the eye. There are patterns that come across powerfully in a photo, which make for great ad copy. And there are patterns that display well in a pond, even if there are little imperfections. I think this Goshiki is going to display well in the pond. The spacing between the steps is going to let the eye register the steps even when he is moving and the aeration is disturbing the surface. The red in the pectoral will be minimized. The contrast between the black and red may not be as stark as you originally wanted, but it is strong and it does not look as if the black will be overwhelming the red anytime soon. The white belly area comes up on each flank enough so that against the dark background of the pond the image will not be just moving red splotches. The outline of the whole koi will stand out because of the contrast of the white against the dark background, but there is not so much white as to lose the black/red contrast you were wanting. He just may keep you happy for quite a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Meg! Thank you for looking in on this. Yes, I like the pattern too, especially on the head.

Thanks, Mike, for the detailed input. I so appreciate going out to look with your knowledge to back me up.

The tiny bit of black on the red is sharp at this point which is wonderful. At first the one red pec bothered me but now I liken it to wearing a bracelet, which I always only wear on one wrist and never both wrists.

This quarantine period is going to be agonizing, lol!
    ...enjoy your day!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad you found one you like. It's a striking fish. When picking Goshiki, I like the interesting head pattern as much as I like the Beni and Sumi to be 50/50 or 40/60. If you have too much of one and not enough of the other, it takes away from the "look".

I hope you keep us posted on his progress.

P.S.: Know what you mean about being too busy. LOL
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Sandy! Thanks for looking in on my new fish. Yes busy. Just finishing up here in the office and it's 12:30.

The Goshiki seems redder in person than on my pc screen. Not sure how he comes across on others' screens. He sure is pretty..and hopefully a male. They weren't positive so I have a 50/50 chance which is better than buying a for-sure female.

It's hard not going out and staring at him a lot but I don't want to stress him out any more than necessary. I even waited a few days before taking the video.
    ...enjoy your day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    BTW, if you look at the beni on the head of #1, you will see it has a thin white line along the edge. In my experience, this indicates retraction of the beni. The area is left white where the beni used to be. This does not mean that the beni will fade. It may or may not. I have seen the beni retract on Goshiki and stabilize leaving white areas for years... and stable bright beni for many, many years. It is something to note, because it indicates the possibility of further retraction. I do not know anyone who can reliably predict how much retraction will occur in a Goshiki.

I looked at the pics and thought this of number 1. If I was going to bet...that beni is on the way out. Going to leave a koi buyer very disappointed.

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12