Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: off the main topic but.......

Post Thanks / Like

off the main topic but.......

bought the last samurai movie on DVD. Was disappointed as I thought it couldn't hold a candle to Shogun. was curious how ofthers felt who saw it.
    have one more giant laurel stump to remove in my japanese garden ( hand digging) to create my bonsai display area. It's about half completed
    and I'm really excited how well it looks. My" seiko" satsuki azaela is beginning to show color in the buds already. I finally am getting a grasp as to how to secure my bakki towers to the side wall of my inside pond
    so after seeing 10.5 earthquake series I have been hesitant not to do something. sorry for the rambling, I quess I enjoy hearing from and sharing things with my friends on this board over and beyond the topic of koi, yet related to the appreciation of the japanese culture. Have I ever mentioned that I had a tokonoma (alcove) built in my living room which I maintain with suiseki (rock appreciation) ikebana (flower display) and selected art scrolls?It's about three weeks now from starting the breeding program. have added douitsu showa and sanke.yesterday checked on last year's kumonryu and matsukawabake babies out in the growth pond and was surprised to see the growth already. It's only been a month!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dick,
    You sound like there is some Japenese blood in you somewhere, have you checked your family tree! :x

If you have some pictures it would help those of us who dont understand all the japenese terms, all sounds great though.

So you have the Bakki tower running now? I encased mine properly in poly carbonate last week, a far better job now and keeps the wind chill off.
    Regards, Bob
    ><{{{{> ><{{{{> ><{{{{>
    <}}}}>< <}}}}><

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL,
    So what are you now going to use to hide the polycarbonate? :lol:

B.Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I've hidden it behind a reed screen and a few plant pots. May change it again later as not too sure about the look.

Some pictures below
    Regards, Bob
    ><{{{{> ><{{{{> ><{{{{>
    <}}}}>< <}}}}><

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob
    For the pics! I still have to phyically get the towers secured to the wall
    but for me the worst part of figuring out how with what is done....now all I have to do is do it!
    Does the fact you have yours covered quiet it down? I realize yours is outside but my inside one was noisey.
    Also for B. Scott, many was the time I wanted to ask you what the B. stood for?
    was grading some tosai for a friend yesterday and ran across some
    aka matsubas. was surprised how nice they were. were first ones I'd seen
    as tosai. ( these were not hi asagi) was a time when i really wanted one
    but could never find one. now that the urge is passed....there they are! (lol)
    Bob, I studied under kyoshi seike for two years on maintaining a japanese garden. After my "graduation" I was allowed to prune his personal garden. at that time he told me that inside the body of a "foreigner" was trapped the soul of a japanese. It still means alot to me to this day. But as you can tell from the name, It's English from the slums of london. I traced back our roots thinking I was from a "blue blood" only to discover he had put up money to an orphangae for un-named children dropped off on the front door with the provision they carry the benbow name so it diddn't die out.( you don't know any movie producers that i can sell my story to do you?)LOL!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice story Dick, glad you originated from somewhere proper :lol:

When I made up the Poly Carbonate, there were gaps left on the top of the two sides, only 10mm or so, but enough to let it breath. When the top was put on, it all went quiet. Literally, it was amazing really. The noise just went away, with only the water entry now left.

My only problem now is the water bubbles on the water surface. Call it Doc if you like, but I dont think it is Doc. Currently I have a 'bloom' of blanket weed. It's not very strong, but when the Koi graze on it, bits of fine green dust come away. Therefore the pond doesnt look clear any more. I think the 1000's of very small bubbles produced by the Bakki, enter the pond down the chute and pick up this 'green' producing bubbles. My pond is 30 feet long and at the other end there are two venturi's and a medo 45 air pump and there are no bubbles what-so-ever. Just by the Bakki end of the pond. Bit frustrating as it doesnt look very nice.
    Regards, Bob
    ><{{{{> ><{{{{> ><{{{{>
    <}}}}>< <}}}}><

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,
    What's your PH doing? lots of times it rises with the additional air created. I finally got my "proper" bakki up yesterday and this a.m. my
    surface was similar to yours. I know mine's not DOC either. will ph test later today. was surprised by the residual spray that gradually builds up water on the walls surrounding the unit. was something I hadn't anticipated. wife came up with solution of taping plastic on the outside top of offending tray and then sliding plastic inside unit so it catches the spray and returns drips to interior.
    As far as thread algea goes I always suspect three suspects. more sun than the pond needs. not enought water change ( the trickle of new water about the size of a pencil usually cures when run 24/7 ) and lastly phosphorus in your water make up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dick,
    I guess out 'tiers' are different shapes, perhaps yours are the Kierin Koi ones? I got hold of some 2" plastic angle and firtted this into the gaps to stop the spray from getting out of the Bakki.
    pH hasent changed and is still 8.6 Yes it's a high one, tap water is 8.8

First pic shows whole pond with nothing at the other end.

Second pic shows just the Bakki end - Does your surface look like this picture?

Apologies for the early morning sun catching the reed screen and making it look white.
    Regards, Bob
    ><{{{{> ><{{{{> ><{{{{>
    <}}}}>< <}}}}><

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,
    OK another question. I assume you get more than your share of condensation on the inside of the plastic. What happens to it? Do you allow it to soak into the dirt, wet the concrete or do you collect it some how?
    Nice idea the polycarbonate I'm sure it will help against heatloss in the winter as well.

Dick... The initial "B" in B.Scott is done in the same style as the "J" in J. Edgar Hoover and the "F" in F. Scott Fitzgerald. All the eldest males in my direct family have a first initial, middle name. As a teenager I just went as Scott. As some point I came into a class with several boys named Scott. In order to differentiate between us the teacher took to calling me B.Scott. It's been that way ever since.
    BTW the B stands for Brian. :wink:

Post Thanks / Like
    Dick,

While your in a reflective mood, can you recommend a book on the art of the three styles of Shin-gyo-so? I am hoping that in your experiences you have come across a couple of good ones?

Motown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast