Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: My New Sanke

My New Sanke

Hey Everyone,
    This is my new Momotaro Sanke. Picked it up from Koi Empire yesterday. Its about 10 months old now and about 12 inches long. Feel free to give your opinions on the fish, I have very high hopes for it.

Best Regards,
    Alex Gibbs

Very nice, Alex. I'm always game to stick out my neck and wait to get my head chopped off. I learn that way, too. The first photo made her look kind of stubby, but others look O.K. Interesting pattern, sumi seems to be coming in at the right places (but also a couple of stray marks ... but if she was perfect nobody but the Chairman of Toyota could afford her!). Notice how Momotaro kohaku & sanke always have very nice shiro and a slight tint that shows thru the thin skin on the head? The guy has high standards. Patterns may be "all over the place", but I don't see any but high quality koi with his name on them. And, this one has a nice pattern. For this size, the percentage of body represented by the head seems consistent with growth potential. A more pleasing fish than most Momo koi I've seen listed for sale, and since appearing in K-B, he has been exporting a bunch to the U.S.

I do not know how Momo kohaku & sanke develop.... whether they lengthen proportions similar to Nogami kohaku, or what. So, I'm interested in what happens. Keep us informed.

Alex,
    You done good! I like the koi very much. good potential, good bloodline,
    good luck as you await the black to define.

Thank you Dick and Mike,
    Dick do you know anything else about the bloodline? Im not sure which one of his million parent sets he used, but how do they develop generally, oh and I picked up a momotaro kohaku same size no picture yet...got it for my mom on mother's day I told her I would grow it out for her.

Best Regards,
    Alex Gibbs

Good choice Alex. I think that one will turn out rather nice. Good white, nice acceptable patttern, and looks like the sumi will come in balanced and in the right places to give an overall pleasing effect. Way to go on the mother's day present. I used to be able to do that, but alas my wife figured it out! How bout a picture of the kohaku.

This is the mother's day present. Same size and age as the sanke.

Oh My....you have chosen well! I like both of these koi. I believe most of his sanke bloodline stuff has a predominance of matsunosuke in it.
    In which case the black may appear and disappear for the next several years. so if one shows up in the white in the shoulder and then gradually disappears do not dismay! I bought the northern (older) brothers #1 in the niigata young fish show and when it came home the critical shoulder sumi faded away. I was so distraught thought about getting rid of the koi but hung on. it went up and down for several years and then stayed.
    remember the sanke that won in the all japan show a few years ago that was over 20 years old? it was still improving! ( end of soap box) enjoy and settle in for the long haul. good luck to you with your efforts to finish!