Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jap Mat Bio Filter Users- Are You Using it as A Fines Filter Also?

Jap Mat Bio Filter Users- Are You Using it as A Fines Filter Also?

I made a slight mod to my two jap mat filter chambers, and now my pond is never any clearer.

Homer told me when he inspected my pond that the surface level of water should be equal or lower than the upper edge of the jap mats in order to keep the water from skipping the biofilter and to ensure bio filtration of all the water going thru it. Mine had the water surface at a higher level. His suggestion made sense and I thought of buying more matting. But the cheap side of me got the better of me, and I ended up using a tweak to ensure water doesn't skip the mattings. I used pvc sheets to block the passage of water above the mattings.

Also, since there is a channel below the mattings that allow water to flow through without going thru the mattings, I placed a piece of 2 inch pvc pipe cross-wise at the exit end of the matting to block the thru-flow.

This way, the water had to go thru the mattings to ensure bio filtration. An unintended consequence I hadn't expected was the mattings ended up filtering the fines.

Pond looks nice, but as expected, I needed to clean my bio filter chambers more often now. Just goes to show how nice but deceiving a clear pond can be. It could be clear but it could harbor plenty pathogenic bacteria if the fines end up plugging up the mattings. Moreover, the biofilter efficiency and effectiveness could easily be compromised.

Still, it is to me a good thing. A system like mine allows a lot of fines to go past my brush filter. The biofilter keeps the fines from going back to the pond. I just have to make sure I clean my filter more often.

But I'm not saying this is the be all and end all. It serves me well until I improve my filter setup as far as solid wastes and fines are concerned.

See post #5.

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/main-f...ould-work.html

mechanical filters are the first stage. If they are working properly, only a very small amount of detritus gets to the following bio stages. No mechanical stage succeeds like a barrier. You just want one that is easy to clean.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    See post #5.

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/main-f...ould-work.html

mechanical filters are the first stage. If they are working properly, only a very small amount of detritus gets to the following bio stages. No mechanical stage succeeds like a barrier. You just want one that is easy to clean.
    Hi Mike, could you please elaborate on what you mean by barrier? Thanks!

Hi Mike,

Did I mentioned that the mats needs plenty of aeration as well and to flush the bottom of jap mats chamber once at least a month.

Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    Hi Mike,

Didn't I mentioned also that the mats needs plenty of aeration as well and to flush the bottom of jap mats chamber once at least a month.
    Yes you did. They're doing a great job. When I slack off my tancho would remind me without fail ⊙_⊙

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    Hi Mike, could you please elaborate on what you mean by barrier? Thanks!
    Seive, RDF, matting, static k1 bed, foam sheet. The key is one that is effective and still easy to clean. In a vortex, consider adding a 12 inch layer of k1 or other floating media.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Seive, RDF, matting, static k1 bed, foam sheet. The key is one that is effective and still easy to clean. In a vortex, consider adding a 12 inch layer of k1 or other floating media.
    What I'm not seeing is your mention of brush filter. I'm finding large particles going thru my brush filters, maybe they're finding a way thru the filter bottom, as I've made sure the brushes are packed from side to side. Or maybe, brush filters need some help by way of your aforementioned barriers. What's your take Mike?

Also, do you suggest putting the k1 at the top chamber or bottom chamber of my vortex sump?

I made 2 sieves (1 before and 1 after the brushes) to filter out fines. These are rinsed daily.

Quote Originally Posted by nivek View Post
    I made 2 sieves (1 before and 1 after the brushes) to filter out fines. These are rinsed daily.
    Pray tell. What kind of sieves? Wedge wires? What micron size?

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    Pray tell. What kind of sieves? Wedge wires? What micron size?
    Plastic netting that you can get from your local hardware shop. Not sure about the micron size though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sieve.JPG.jpg 
Views:	3669 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	39483

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast