Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KHV: Status of Outbreaks??

Post Thanks / Like

KHV: Status of Outbreaks??

I have not heard much about actual KHV outbreaks for quite some time. I am wondering if the instances are going down or just not being discussed. I have not heard of a dealer being hit by it in a long time. Somebody got info that can be shared?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: KHV: Status of Outbreaks??

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    I have not heard much about actual KHV outbreaks for quite some time. I am wondering if the instances are going down or just not being discussed. I have not heard of a dealer being hit by it in a long time. Somebody got info that can be shared?
    Hmmmmm . Now that you mention it spring has passed and summer is here and I haven't heard the term SVC come up either... ALTHOUGH.
    Someone on another board ? Mentioned a case of a pond with no new additions in over a year where 15 older koi had died in a very short period of time(one day) but the goldfish all survived... all but one GF, as I recall.
    He said they cut them open and " the organs were mush"???

I think I'll go pound on some wood ! :shock:

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect we're keeping quiet. :shock:

I know of one suspected dealer and one confirmed dealer in my area. The confirmed one suspected it back in May and quarentined themselves. The suspected one is because of some hobbyist suspicions, but they also have stopped selling koi. Both are attempting to trace the source of the infections -- I don't have an update on those attempts yet. Neither dealer was 'high-end' -- both likely got the infection from local introductions (not likely from breeders around here; more likely from hobbyists) or from other asian imports (not Japan).

SVC, I've haven't heard about for a while.

Quarentine folks.

Jumbo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gentlemen, as one of the members of a new committee formed by AKCA, I would like to say that we are interested in hearing about any information you may come across regarding KHV. All information will be shared with a science committee made up of five professionals from various backgrounds ( all with some association and experience with KHV). Any help you can provide as the eyes and ears for this Project, would be greatly appreciated. JR

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    JR, a question and worry I've had is HOW to tell other people about suspected and confirmed outbreaks. A public BBS is a fine place for rumors, but there are ways for companies to track you down and sue for slander if you so much as breathe a 'there might be an outbreak at...' or 'so-and-so fish seem to be infected with...'.

This goes for everything from costia to trich, including KHV. The KHA BBS is supposed to be a clearinghouse for some of this info, but local info is often more useful.

Then there is the problem of how to tell clue members. Putting damaging info in a newsletter is out of the question. So far it just seems to be a whisper campaign -- those who know, know.

Any ideas?

Jumbo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jas, I agree that it is unfair to say a dealer has been hit based solely on a report that the dealer had a wipeout. Power failures, pH crashes, even massive costia can look like an epidemic to the untrained eye. And unscrupulous competitors love nothing more than to spread rumors.
    The only real proof is in confirmed tests at a recognized lab. So unfortunately, postives are usually only reported by the customers.

Things are about to change in a big way. I'll keep you posted as things move along-- JR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JR
    Hi Jas, I agree that it is unfair to say a dealer has been hit based solely on a report that the dealer had a wipeout. Power failures, pH crashes, even massive costia can look like an epidemic to the untrained eye. And unscrupulous competitors love nothing more than to spread rumors.
    The only real proof is in confirmed tests at a recognized lab. So unfortunately, postives are usually only reported by the customers.

Things are about to change in a big way. I'll keep you posted as things move along-- JR
    That is my main concern. I want CONFIRMED CASES. Not some boob with a partasite he cannot diagnose/cure.
    If there are suspicions... confirm it ... PLEASE.
    Have the ballz to say where the fish came from after it is confirmed.
    ..............Zzzzzzzzzzz

Jumbo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jason, I'm sorry I missed the point of your post on the first read.
    I honestly don't think the Internet board is the ideal place for presenting the more detailed information. The power of PRINT is that it is permanent and MUST be accurate.
    A science committee is being formed as we speak that will be stacked with professionals from three fields- vet med, scientific research and field biology. Each individual is hand picked and experienced with the disease. They will Ďapproveí anything you see in print from this project so that we can produce the most reliable information humanly possible.
    On the consumer level, we are really only interested in Ďusí. And the grape vine continues to be very informative albeit not often accurate or fair to an individual dealer.
    ANYONE can be unlucky or have a momentary brain lapse and do something they will live to regret, so this thing should never turn into a witch hunt. But I also believe in the Ďthree strikes and your outí rule. So even if the dealer isnít a creep and a conscienceless sociopath , after letting a disease like KHV out into the public a third time, that dealer is at least incompetent and not one that should ever be supported or recommended.
    At some point the USA needs to get a system like the one being organized in South Africa. That is, a statement of minimum practices and procedures , as a standard, for importing, testing and quarantining koi before any thought of resale.
    KHV is bad for the hobbyist and worse for the industry so Iím sure the dealers are coming around to certain realities everyday. We are all in this together- the hobbyists, the amateur organizations, The trade organizations, the dealers, the breeders, the filter makers, the food processors, the advertising media - all of us. We need to work together and blame no one but the disease. IMHO JR

Post Thanks / Like
    While we touched on it briefly here there is much work to be done on a reporting level.

We must first recognize which part of the industry we're addressing. Starting with Breeders: While there are a few good Domestic Breeders, the majority is as opportunistic as any used car salesman. From:" Throw a couple of breeders into a mud pond and sell everything that hatches save for a few obviously deformed fish, or get a couple of endorsements from some gods in the industry and happily sell even diseased fish to the masses, or the backyard breeder that knows little and sells everything, including diseased fish, to pet shops and other unsuspecting or unscrupulous retailersĒ I see them all, every day, plying their brand of marketing and shoddy products, with no negative consequences whatsoever.

The import market, except for the Japanese, has and is losing their credibility and product quality at an increasing rate. Fish shipped from all corners of the earth, to Mega Stores without any fish, never mind Koi holding facilities, are sold to the unsuspecting customer every day.
    Only the Japanese seem to have a tight reign on their Brokers, quality of shipment and arrival quarantine, but I really donít import enough fish, to have a definitive opinion. My purchases from a few Japanese Koi brokers proved to be excellent.

Fish Brokers, offering differing breedsóthe middlemen---in general, the more types of fish they offer, the more possibility of sick, diseased Koi. In my pet shop days and up to the present day, Iíve seen many of this type of Broker sending diseased fish to the unwary pet shop owner, to be sold to the naÔve customer.

Retailers vary in types from the Mom & Pop operation to the Mega Mart. I believe that you will get the best service and products from a small operation that specializes in Koi and Ponds, graduating toward complete ignorance at the Mega Mart level. Large retailers have no financial or marketing consequences by eliminating a small part of their business, while the specialized shop will lose their livelihood.

I personally hate government interference into our business, but, unless we regulate ourselves, itís coming and itís coming quickly. For years Iíve been trying to organize a Nationwide Retailer, Broker and Breeder network, with no success. The network would be staffed by a round robin of volunteers from the different business entities. The Association would start disseminating information about good or bad product, Breeders, Brokers and Dealers, with an eye toward creating a stamp of approval (seal, plaque, award) for the good guys out there.

A perfect solution, no, but itís a start. Anyone interested?
    Werner

Pond-On (tm)

Post Thanks / Like
    In the Chicago area, Southwest Koi & Goldfish were hit with KHV. Southwest was one of the wet vendors at the Louisville show. this is the second year in a row that a vendor has brought KHV infected fish to the Louisville show. Last year it was a vendor from Atlanta.

Mike Pfeffer
    Mike Pfeffer
    Northern Midwest ZNA show
    June 19 - 20, 2010
    Season's Garden Nursery
    Fishers, IN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast