Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloning your favorite pet....

Post Thanks / Like

Cloning your favorite pet....

It's knida amazing how times are changing in Science and Technology..Cloning just being one of the wonders of the 21st century is breaking through...Imagine cloning a favorite pet like...hhhmmm....Nishikigoi!!! Having a Grand Champion in your pond for a simple fee of $40k....Kinda cool!!! It would take the guess work out of picking koi and far easier to say "I'll take that one!" I guess with all things there has to be a bad side and i was curious what people thought 'bout cloning.

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    If only it were that simple.... Koi are the product of their genetic potential, random chance and their environment. Cloning only gives you the genetic potential.

Pattern is often what draws your eye to a particular koi, and pattern is a combination of genetic code and random chance. Identical twins don't have freckles in the same places, pigment cell distribution is a partially random phenomena.

This board and any other source of information on koi should make clear the importance of environment on the development of individual koi. The skill is not in picking koi, it is in letting them reach their potential.

Cloning would be a useful tool for investigating the effect of water chemistry or diet on color development - it could also be used to evaluate the effect of growth rate and temperature on long-term survival. As such it could be a valuable tool in improving our understanding of optimal husbandry. Unfortunately, the cost involved in mass production of clones is still prohibitive. (Which might not be a bad thing.)
    Lynne in St. Louis

Post Thanks / Like
    Imagine all the emotions that would be experienced if 10 koi kichi obtained clones of the Grand Champ of the All Japan Show, and then brought them together after 6 years to be judged against one another.

It would have to be a Japanese-style show, of course. :lol:

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember the days of $500 AOS awarded orchidz ?
    Now they are $12

Watch......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by elunned
    If only it were that simple.... Koi are the product of their genetic potential, random chance and their environment. Cloning only gives you the genetic potential.

Pattern is often what draws your eye to a particular koi, and pattern is a combination of genetic code and random chance. Identical twins don't have freckles in the same places, pigment cell distribution is a partially random phenomena.
    Very well put Lynn! The nature vs. nurture is debate is something that needs to be considered even when talking about cloning koi. I don't think that this will be an issue at the hobbyist end, but I could see other applications for it. Anyone want to guess what they may be?
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Post Thanks / Like
    O.K., Brian, I'll take a shot at it. .... cloning the top parent fish on which a breeder's line depends.

Post Thanks / Like
    You nailed it Mike! :smt038
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Post Thanks / Like
    Would cloning apply in the midst of the earthquake? and the breeders losing some of there parent koi?
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Remmember tyhat cloning is still not an exact science. They may get something to look like it's parent contributor but internally with health issues there are problems to be worked out!

I like the iidea that no two koi are exactly alike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    Remmember tyhat cloning is still not an exact science. They may get something to look like it's parent contributor but internally with health issues there are problems to be worked out!

I like the iidea that no two koi are exactly alike.
    Alright Dick, but if there was any chance in hell you could have one fish cloned, what fish would it be just for fun?
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast