Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shower Filter: Mats as Media

Initial dry fit of new water distribution box. The supply pipe is 3" for high flow with minimum back pressure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0826.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	40808  
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

With a 3" T fitting to get water to the two short ends of the box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0828.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	40816  
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

I would be concerned about water splashing out. ....Add a cover of some type?

Note the big washers and theaded bolts. Those hold up the stainless cover that is attached with acorn type stainless nuts. There is around 1/4" gap between the top edge of the box and the bottom of the cover.....just enough to let in air.

BTW, I am getting foam out every morning about the same amount as a football. It is as if I had a Clarity or DIY foam franctionator unit, which I do not. I never had BHM or MP2C media cause so much DOC separation.

I am not aware that mats are used as media in a shower filter. Anyways that's interesting.

You are welcome. Matting is not nearly as good as ceramic media. But I had to use matting when my first choice of ceramic media started turning to mush. The matting gave me time to find a better ceramic media.

It will soon be 15 years since my shower filter went into operation. A year or three after it was installed, I began placing used mats across the top of the top tray to catch debris that made it through the pre-filtration and leaf-catcher. Over time I added more as mats used in my Savio skimmers became too worn out for that application. I found that the need to clean the Bacteria House ceramic media was greatly reduced. At this point, all the ceramic media in the top tray has been moved to the lower trays (which required individual placement for all of it to fit), and the top tray is only mats. About 20 mats creating a layer about 8-10 inches thick. It is no longer necessary for me to rinse off the BH to get rid of debris accumulation. The mats capture an amazing amount of dirt and algae glarf. The top ones get cleaned every month or two to get rid of algae glarf. The rest are cleaned when it seems they are beginning to clog, which is 3 or 4 times per year.

For my situation, with trees dropping leaves, pollen, acorns, pecans, twigs and stuff nearly year-round, it is a modification that works well. If I was not in a climate where one tree or another is dropping something all the time (or if I cut down all the trees!!), I would just keep a single layer of mats over the BH in the top tray to catch algae glarf. As it is, I need to give more attention to mechanical filtration in order to maximize the effectiveness of the biological.

My shower water comes through UltraSieveIII units with 200micron screens. Maybe not as good as an RDF; but, I don't have to clean out the water distribution box or the top tray of H1 ceramics in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    My shower water comes through UltraSieveIII units with 200micron screens. Maybe not as good as an RDF; but, I don't have to clean out the water distribution box or the top tray of H1 ceramics in the spring.
    Yep. Just the sort of system I would do if building now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123