Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shower Filter: Mats as Media

Funny how many uses there are for j-mats. I had discovered using it as a fines filter after the k1 static bed so my anoxic bio stage benefits from less fines getting thru. J-mats rock!

I have Bacteria House in my shower. It's been going 10 years. I dread the once per year cleaning, when I remove the media to eliminate build-up of detritus caught in it. Better pre-filtering reduces the frequency of having to do the chore, but does not make it easier. Compared to removing each piece of BH, removing mats would be so very easy. Rinsing BH is a pain... you must wear gloves to prevent your hands getting hundreds of little slices from the sharp ceramic glass edges. Dipping mats in a vat of pond water/dechlorinted water would be so much easier!

Since this is still a trickle tower, is it still a bakki? And since it no longer uses ceramic media, would it still be as effective in handling nitrification and denitrification?

What are you referring to with the "this"? If you mean my shower, there is no trickle to it. There are thousands of gallons per hour going through it. The term bakki really only is a reference to the type of media used such as genuine BHM. You definitely don't need store or ceramic media for aeration and nitrification. Matting has been used for many years as a bio filtration stratum.

Regarding denitrification I think I covered that in post #9, the last bullet. stone or ceramic media may have ad advantage there.

In the States Matala is

• availability: readily available
    • cost: relatively cheap (each cartridge was $130)
    • weight: lighter weight than any ceramic or stone product for the same size especially when those products are wet)
    • size each cartridge has the same SSA as 100 kg of K1 so very compact size
    • frequency of cleaning: for all media that is a serious issue for the prior mechanical stage...ideally a drum or sieve
    • ease of cleaning: very easy to hose and shake off a sheet of plastic matting
    • aeration performance: Better than two trays of Cermedia and at least as good as 4 partial trays of BHM judging by the DOC foam in the morning
    • nitrification performance: Too early to know, I have little doubt bacteria will form on sheets of matting
    • denitrification performance: Likely there is where a ceramic or stone media has an advantage where pores nooks and crannies could have lower O2 areas.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

All right then (with my Jim carrey look and hightailing out)

While I am breaking in the cartridges I have the Flowfriend down around 1000prm. Every morning since I put in the cartridges I get two pond corners full of dry foam. I did not get that much DOC separation from 4 trays of BHM and virtually none from 2 trays of MP2C. Big difference so far with 2 cartridges. The white box on top of the shower is the water distribution box. When I made it as a prototype I used perforated sizes as well because I did not have any sold sheets of plastic. I do have some now and will rebuild the box this weekend. I will post pictures later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0782.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	40803  
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Thanks for the photo of your top distribution box. I was only thinking of a using standard piping and fittings to try and distribute water evenly from the top. Your photo opens up many different possibilities for the Do-it-yourselfers. Off to the drawing board. When I was living in Japan, I purchased and brought back with me 20 plastic bins that I saw in a Momotaro video that used these for there BH system. I will be working on building a distribution box for these and maybe use some J-Mat and Matala Mat in layers...

Now that we have shower all stacked with trays that contain media, we need to deliver water to the top of the uppermost tray. Many folks use one or more pipes drilled into them to create a spray bar. For me there are two problems with a spray bar. The first is the pressure needed to cause water to spray from the pipes is using pump energy. I would rather the pump deliver more gallons per hour for the same energy consumed. The second problem is that the water will not be equally distributed across all of the upper tray. Some media will get more and some will get less water. Depending on the spray pattern, you could lose some filtration capability in the first tray because some of the media is not getting enough water.

Consider another approach. Build a water distribution box. Let the pump simply deliver water to a plastic box. No backup pressure on the pump from a spray bar. The water spreads out and falls through evenly spaced holes in the box's floor. I have almost completed my new box that will sit on top of the matting cartridge in my top shower tray. What is missing is a large hole in one long side to connect to the 3" pipe from the pump. The box is made from 1/4" thick PVC sheets that were 24"x48". The sheet used to make the floor has 1/4" holes on 1/2" centers. The second sheet was without holes and used to make the sides. Both sheets were acquired online from USPlastics.

I cut the PVC on my table saw and glued them together with heavy duty PVC glue. I used 4 corner clamps to help with the assembly. The corner clamps I used came from Lowes and hold the box floor 5/8" above the bottom edge of the side pieces. On the photo of the box's bottom you can see that I ripped and glued 5/8" wide strips on the 4 walls under the edges of the floor. That gives good support to the floor. Also I cut and glued two 5/8" strips that go from one long side to the other long side. Those prevent the box's floor from sagging in the middle.

As you can see, this is not rocket science. If you have access to a table saw or similar, you can make a water distribution box for your shower. Leave the shower spray bars for your indoor plumbing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0821.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	40804   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0822.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	40805   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0824.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	40806  

The "rocket science" for a distribution box is deciding the "size" of the holes and "number" of holes.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post

As you can see, this is not rocket science. If you have access to a table saw or similar, you can make a water distribution box for your shower. Leave the shower spray bars for your indoor plumbing.
    Roger that!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast