Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Fish Weight, Length, Ammonia and Waste Produced.

Post Thanks / Like

Fish Weight, Length, Ammonia and Waste Produced.

Hi

I was looking the relation and especially the ration of koi produced ammonia, wastes, and requirements. In an article from Ken Austin: When a Koi Doubles in Length, How Much More Does it Weigh?, He says "When a Koi doubles in length, it's volume is increased by 8x" but in other sites such as KOI LENGTH AND WEIGHT present a chart I will paste it here with some additional columns.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	41356

As you can see the Growth Rate in Weight Gain, Ammonia and Waste Produced are exactly same, And in some cases is looking so high for example does it true that 16" Koi with 1126 grams Weight produce 371 grams waste in 24 hours?

Post Thanks / Like
    That chart is showing the amount of waste produced each day as close to one-third of the weight of the fish. That does not seem correct to me. It might be true of very young koi, which do eat a huge amount compared to their body weight. However, as koi grow the amount consumed declines as a percentage of body weight. A few years ago I weighed the food I was feeding daily to calculate how much I needed to buy to get through particular time period. I was feeding about 1.25% of the estimated body weight. The weight of waste produced is going to be very close to the weight of the food given in a hobbyist's pond. The bits of algae, etc. consumed hardly counts. .....Whoever prepared the chart should explain how they got their numbers.

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    Hi

I was looking the relation and especially the ration of koi produced ammonia, wastes, and requirements. In an article from Ken Austin: When a Koi Doubles in Length, How Much More Does it Weigh?, He says "When a Koi doubles in length, it's volume is increased by 8x" but in other sites such as KOI LENGTH AND WEIGHT present a chart I will paste it here with some additional columns.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	41356

As you can see the Growth Rate in Weight Gain, Ammonia and Waste Produced are exactly same, And in some cases is looking so high for example does it true that 16" Koi with 1126 grams Weight produce 371 grams waste in 24 hours?
    It is not look true. who will feed over 1/2 of fish weight in 24hrs that fish could produce 1/3 of waste!!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    And to add, not all foods have the same growth/weight potential. This chart is worthless....
    Tim