Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Summer Growout Fun

Summer Growout Fun

Okay, on yet another impulse, and in my excitement (to have access to koi from two of my most admired breeders), I blindly invested in more than a few Sakai Kohaku babies (8" tateshita) and a few Yamamatsu Sanke babies (10" tateshita) from our local Kodama Koi Farm here in Hawaii. After re-homing a few of my koi with friends with natural river ponds, I filled my QTank yet again with another grow-out project.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5177.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	41357 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5178.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	41358 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Matsu-01.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	41368 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Matsu-03.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	41369Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Matsu-02.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	41370

I did learn a little more about the growth/development of Omosako shiro utsuri. The three different body types remain the same and I do prefer one over the others, but they are only Nisai, so a lot more growth to go. I especially noticed how the food selection affects the shiro on the fish. Really need to keep the shiro utsuri separate if you want them to display the best.

I need to start thinking about re-homing more koi now. Hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San View Post
    Okay, on yet another impulse, and in my excitement (to have access to koi from two of my most admired breeders), I blindly invested in more than a few Sakai Kohaku babies (8" tateshita) and a few Yamamatsu Sanke babies (10" tateshita) from our local Kodama Koi Farm here in Hawaii. After re-homing a few of my koi with friends with natural river ponds, I filled my QTank yet again with another grow-out project.

I did learn a little more about the growth/development of Omosako shiro utsuri. The three different body types remain the same and I do prefer one over the others, but they are only Nisai, so a lot more growth to go. I especially noticed how the food selection affects the shiro on the fish. Really need to keep the shiro utsuri separate if you want them to display the best.

I need to start thinking about re-homing more koi now. Hahaha.

Share your secrets with the Shiro.s, please.

Garfield.

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
    Share your secrets with the Shiro.s, please.

Garfield.
    I don't have any secrets. I just learned that keeping the shiroji optimal for shiro utsuri is not easy to do if you have other types of koi with them. The shiro has fluctuated from pearl white, yellowish, pinkish and white white-when fasting) Hawaii has higher pH water as well, so I think that may not be good for maintaining nice shoriji as well. Even watching the development and differences in sumi quality between each koi was a learning experience. You always wonder if sumi will get better, but only time will tell. I am lucky to have three nice (to me) female shiros to learn from. Sometimes, I think one of them is male, but she is not acting like a male amongst females, so guess not.

It is always difficult to say much about the potential of tosai from a photo. Having a group to grow out increases the chance that some one of them will still be worthy of pond space a few years out. A couple with heavy Hi may be fairly good quality that will hold up. Maybe they were sold off because the lack of pattern made them undesirable for the breeder to devote space to them??

Enjoy... hoping you have the elusive 'hidden jewel'.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    It is always difficult to say much about the potential of tosai from a photo. Having a group to grow out increases the chance that some one of them will still be worthy of pond space a few years out. A couple with heavy Hi may be fairly good quality that will hold up. Maybe they were sold off because the lack of pattern made them undesirable for the breeder to devote space to them??

Enjoy... hoping you have the elusive 'hidden jewel'.
    Hahaha. Thanks Mike! Not expecting any jewels out of this Motley bunch. Just excited to have/watch these Sakai brothers fish grow. The Sanke tosai I have from Yamamatsu are of a particular interest for me to watch. My first Sankes ever. Truly my summer time therapy.

I just was hoping to find "one" nice body Kohaku female with good heavy hi like you said. They are growing very fast and I'm getting in water changes twice a week now, Summer is upon us, so they will stretch very fast in Hawaii