Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Some changes to the forum

Post Thanks / Like

Some changes to the forum

Hello All,

I've finally gotten around to doing something that's been on my list to do for years, and that was to upgrade the underlying software which runs this forum. It was badly out of date, and a core server software update by my hosting company made the site go offline as it was just so old that it was no longer compatible with newer versions of the web software environment.

More than 10 years ago, I installed a third-party SEO product that deeply embedded itself into the forum software and database, but helped with getting KB listed and ranked on the search engines. The company that wrote this software went defunct not long after and removing it would have hurt this site and lowered it's value in web rankings.

With that being said, that developer no longer provided updates to their third party tool, so every update of the forum software posed me with the problem of compatibility. When I would update the software as recommended/required for security or web server compatibility, this third party tool would inevitably break and I would have to roll back, put everything in a test environment, isolate the problem and track down the offending code and rewrite it to get everything to work again. Sometimes this took hours, but as time went on it took hours or even weeks to fix things to a point where I was comfortable in making the upgrade live. As a result, what should be a simple update became a severe burden and I allowed the site to languish rather than taking on the update.

Well, today I was able to remove all code from this third party tool for good and was able to update the site software to a version that is compatible with a supported version of php. As it stands, this should provide a good 2-3 years of a supported platform before I'll have to think about the next move which will probably involve either a major update or moving the whole site into the cloud. Now that everything is cleaned up, it will be much easier to manage and provides me with a number of options.

What does this mean for forum members and the general public? I had to make a tough choice to change the URL structure to something that was simpler in order to completely remove the third party SEO product. This means that pages/post/photos/etc from this site that have been indexed in Google, etc. for years will no longer work. If you search in Google for a koi term and it returns a page indexed for Koi-Bito you will find that clicking that link produces a 404 or "page not found" error. Any pages that were linked from other sites will be broken, and this will inevitably result in a lower ranking for KB in the search engines, at least for a while. I've submitted a new sitemap to all the search engines today, and they should be all re-indexed after a few weeks.

Just wanted everyone to know what to expect in case you found a broken link to KB and thought the site had gone away for good. We should start to see these links from the search engines repair themselves after a little while, but manual hard links from other sites might be permanently broken unless the site owner or member corrects this with an updated link URL.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for contributing to the site over all these years. Combing through old threads to include in the re-index it dawned on me that we've been around for a while...hard to believe this site has been up for 15 years now!
    Last edited by Brian; 03-02-2019 at 08:22 PM.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

2. Likes jnorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for continuing the journey!
    Tim

4. Thanks Brian thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    Thanks for continuing the journey!
    And thank you all for being part of it!
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Post Thanks / Like
    Aloha and Mahalo Brian!

For all you do!

Carl

7. Thanks Brian thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Brian!

You should be headed to Orlando!!!
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

9. Thanks Brian thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Thanks Brian!

You should be headed to Orlando!!!
    Didn't plan well enough for this year, but should be better situated next year to either travel or send something nice down there!
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum