Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Kohaku spawning

Kohaku spawning

Below is a video of the 1st Kohaku spawning taken earlier this month. The fry were 1 week old at the time and still lacking color and less that 1cm in length. Will post another video of their progress after this one.

Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

And here they are again two weeks later. The size is coming on as well as various levels of color. Once the fry reach a certain size, they become a lot more vigorous and it's easier to tell how many you are dealing with as they are actively searching for food and less prone to trying to hide.

Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Never fails to amaze me how much size variation there is among fry. .... May there be no shiromuji in the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Never fails to amaze me how much size variation there is among fry. .... May there be no shiromuji in the bunch.

Yes, that last video was actually a few days shy of 3 weeks and am at 3 weeks and a day now. There's more of a size differential with the fry, but I only see a few genuine "tobi". Can just start to see what I think will become shiro muji, but there are still some smaller fry lacking color so hard to get a tally at the moment.

The other bane of kohaku breeders is aka-muji, but at least some of the better ones can be kept and grown on.

Should be able to do the first culling of these in about 10 days or so but pattern does not come into the picture at this point. I'm basically looking for obvious physical flaws and whether the kohaku looks like it will produce a hiban with a clear separation from the underside. Sometimes some of the smaller ones that still have a "matchstick" shape aren't showing color so are kept as a precaution.

Have also spawned Karashi again this year as well as Yamabuki x Karashi cross. fertilization rates were much better than last year on both accounts, so am pretty excited to see what they all turn into.

Did a test sanke spawning with a female of my own x Taniguchi and my own sanke males. The female was still a little small and didn't seem to produce any eggs, and I didn't see the set getting active at all. I left that net in the pond and to my surprise there seem to be about 100 fry there that are quite big! The katatsuki is very good, and if the sumi pans out well, then I will definitely be trying that set again next year once the female is a bit bigger. All quite unexpected though.

Have a busy personal schedule in early to mid July, but hope to spawn 3-4 more sets by mid-August. Getting more the hang of things, but still learning and observing more as I go.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

"The other bane of kohaku breeders is aka-muji, but at least some of the better ones can be kept and grown on."

LOL.... I recall Ray Abell had a Kohaku spawning in one of his ponds (unintended, I think). He got a huge number of Aka-Muji. He brought a full tank of them to the Central Florida show one year to sell. His sales pitch was that they were cheap enough to get a half dozen & take your chance that one would be a worthwhile Benigoi. From what I heard, all were dull and faded looking by the end of their second year. I think the only way I will ever find a red koi I like is for there to be a Kohaku masquerading as Benigoi.... a sold red one-step 'pattern' from tip of the nose to the tail, all red except a white belly. Then maybe the beni would hold up. But, of course, such an awful menkaburi pattern gets culled.

I like Ray's pitch, and if he ever held a garage sale I'm sure that his table was empty at the end of the day! Can't blame him for trying though.

Seriously though, akamuji are a throwback away from kohaku and closer back towards magoi, albeit with red color so I wouldn't expect the color to stay on most. Even those that do turn out to be good, passable benigoi will have a nice deep beni along the lines that kohaku would have.

Having a clean break between the white belly and hiban on the top side is key. You can't tell whether a pattern will form during the first cull, and some will become kohaku (including ipponhi) and others aka muji. Most of the shiromuji will get culled out, but some of the fry will lose their hi by 2nd or 2rd cull. The ipponhi might make it through the cull depending on what else came from the spawn (like low numbers of true kohaku) and space available.

Funnily enough, during the summer months some breeders sell "unculled" fry by mail. Rather than half a dozen though you get 100-500 that are about 1.5cm long at a fixed price. Have my doubts though that they are unculled or not from a 2nd or 3rd stringer parent...possibly even a bench warmer.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum