Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Karashi, Yamabuki x Karashi spawnings

Karashi, Yamabuki x Karashi spawnings

Took these out of their nursery pond where they were being fed a diet of Daphnia and dry powdered supplement powder. Have had very good results spawning so far this year with a new method, at least in terms of fertilization and mortality rates. The majority of these are pure Karashi and the rest are hybrids from a Yamabuki female and Karashi male.

This is a sample of both spawnings put together, they are easy enough to tell apart when a little bit bigger as the metallic sheen comes onto the Yamabuki/Karashi hybrids (especially on the pectoral fins) and the pure Karashi lack it and are generally darker in coloration. Can you tell which are which yet?

This tobi has got to be the largest I've ever seen. I moved about 10 of the hybrid fry over to an empty net and let them grow on their own. He was the only one left, so either he got all the food meant for his siblings or the siblings became food for him.

Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

There is quite a range of yellow hues. At this stage, I like the Yamabuki cross better.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    There is quite a range of yellow hues. At this stage, I like the Yamabuki cross better.
    I did a Karashi female X Yamabuki male cross last year and the metallic sheen didn't quite come through as I had expected it to. Had some very interesting offsping that were generally lighter in color more like a cream or pale ale...but no or very little metallic sheen. Did some experimental crosses with Kujaku and other varieties this year and see that the sheen from the female seems to carry over much better. Will be fun to see how these all develop and should be big enough to do some comparisons.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum