Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: TDS meter readings

Post Thanks / Like

TDS meter readings

In our recent visit to Japan I got introduced to a new (for me) instrument to measure/check my water quality. I ordered and finally recieved my new TDS meter. I'm not sure of what parameters my water should be at. I was told while in Japan it should be about 160-170 (I'm assuming PPM). My meter range is from 0-1990 PPM. My tap water is already at 460PPM. So is something off ??

I'd appreciate any insight on the subject and thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, sounds about right, well it would be in UK I'm assuming similar for USA.

My tap water gives a reading of about 350ppm, the pond about 280ppm. A carbon block prefilter also will raise the TDS of your tapwater.

The guy's that chase TDS reckon something below 120 is ideal but 80 and below is pushing it to the edge of the envelope!
    Andrew

"Gentlemen prefer ponds"

Post Thanks / Like
    Andrew,

What's the reason behind the carbon block raising the TDS? Is this the reason you moved to the granulated version.
    Regards, Bob
    ><{{{{> ><{{{{> ><{{{{>
    <}}}}>< <}}}}><

Post Thanks / Like
    Dunno Bob if granulated as opposed to block makes any difference.

I know, 'cos i measured it, the TDS out of my carbon filter is higher than the input water TDS, no doubt about it.
    When talking with Charles Harris of 'Purity on Tap' he said, without me even querying this, that the TDS out of a carbon filter would be higher than the input. As to the science or reason, I dunno, sorry.
    Andrew

"Gentlemen prefer ponds"

Post Thanks / Like
    I pump from an artesian spring which comes out of the ground at 275 ppm. I would like it to be lower, but cannot justify the cost of reverse osmosis or demineralization.

I bought a TDS meter to keep track of nutrient concentrations in a hydrophonic tomato garden. About the only time I use it in the fish ponds is when I loose track of water exchanges. The longer water stays in a pond, the higher the TDS climbs. The increases are due to evaporation and the release of minerals in the decomposition of feed, feces, leaf litter, etc. So, TDS measurements don't mean much unless you know the source and nature of the dissolved solids.

The TDS meter would be a handy tool if you were blending reverse osmosis water with tap (mains) water in order to hit an optimum kH. The meter is much quicker and easier to use than a kH kit and, in this case, organic processes would not be impacting the reading.

steve hopkins