Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any reliable back-up systems

Talking Any reliable back-up systems

With all the talk about no power. What are the best back-up systems available today. I attended the AKCA Convention in Hawaii this year and ran across a battery-backup type system for providing extended power. Genki Koi had it in there booth, but I didnít see any reference to the system on their website. Of course there are fueled power generators for the pump/filtration systems is there anything else on the market or any other concepts/ideas that will sustain koi for long outage periods. What would be the minimum fail-safe for any koi pond?

Iím even trying to include an electric-solenoid valve that would release water to multiple jet streams to agitate the pond surface in the event power shuts down. A waste of great Hawaii water, but Iím hoping this concept (non-powered) will help a little. Any words of great wisdom will be much appreciated. Aloha.

Akai San, The peson who puts those together is located in Hawaii. If you PM me you Phone I can have him Contact you. Joe

Good questions.

One of the things we learned during the Florida hurricanes, and now is being learned in Japan, is that gasoline-powered generators are fine for a short term, isolated power outage, but have their limitations when gas stations can't pump their gas. And, a generator that has to be re-filled every 4 or 5 hours gets pretty tiring after 4 or 5 days. And, sitting in line for hours to fill a couple of 5-gallon containers makes it all fairly draining. .... But still better than nothing!

In many ways the best advice is the old advice ignored by most ... lightly stock your pond based on surface area, not on basis of gallonage.

Talking

Hello Akai San, keokoi, MikeM, and others. Depending on how you have everything setup, you could perhaps have some Battery backups on hand, which come in all shape and sizes, and all sorts of capacity levels to atleast keep air pumps going. APC is a very good manufacturer at these. Perhaps some emergency plan in which you have battery backups keep air pumps moving while you get time to start a generator. I guess like MikeM stated, the best might just be to keep your pond less stocked. But just an idea...

Jesse

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San
    With all the talk about no power. What are the best back-up systems available today. I attended the AKCA Convention in Hawaii this year and ran across a battery-backup type system for providing extended power. Genki Koi had it in there booth, but I didnít see any reference to the system on their website. Of course there are fueled power generators for the pump/filtration systems is there anything else on the market or any other concepts/ideas that will sustain koi for long outage periods. What would be the minimum fail-safe for any koi pond?

Iím even trying to include an electric-solenoid valve that would release water to multiple jet streams to agitate the pond surface in the event power shuts down. A waste of great Hawaii water, but Iím hoping this concept (non-powered) will help a little. Any words of great wisdom will be much appreciated. Aloha.

Hawaii ? Windmill powered air/water pump.

The thing that confuses me about Niigata is that these guys are pro's and have fish worth a fortune.
    Even at my little facility I have a 27K Diesel and 235 gallons of fuel.
    Not having it would be the equivalent of not having homeowners insurance.

I was born at night... It wasn't last night

That's a serious generator. I am the proud owner of a little mickey mouse inverter which can be hooked up to the power point in the truck. Enough amp to run one small air blower, but you have to spin the blower fan with a stick to get it started.

steve hopkins

Tategoi
    Akai san:

The system you were looking at is made by APC and put together by Guy who lives in Waipahu, call me and I'll give you his phone numbers... You may already have his card as he's the Koi Club V.P.

Aloha! Mike

Tategoi
    Doug:

The Japanese have invented a verticle wind turbine which runs on the smallest of breezes... The spline type blades are verticle so wind direction is not a concern... Saw one mounted on the roof of a gas station in Japan, which ran all the pumps and auxiliary equipment... Looked to be a foot in diameter by 3 feet high...

Here's another one for you, you can get solar panels which will run a 200amp service in a residential home for a net cost of approx. $20,000 after rebates and tax credits... In addition, you sell the excess power it generates back to the Utility company... It's estimated that you can amortize the cost in less than 15 years and get free electricity while you're doing it...

Your pal the retired guy...

Sansai
    Have you considered a natural gas or LP generator. Ballpark a Guardian 15000watt (LP)/ 13000watt (natural gas) is ~$3k, lower load models like a 7000watt version ~$2k. Automatic on (within 30 seconds), with a natural gas line or large LP tank not much worry.

Lightbulb Natural Gas?

Ryan, thanks for the insight. I never would have thought of natural gas generator. Is LP propane gas generators? That would work perfect with my system because I already have a 250 gallon tank and the main line runs right passed my designated pump box area. Any more information on generator requirements? Height clearances, open space, setbacks, enclosures, ventilation etc. I can start seeing this all coming together now....hahaha...yeah right. Newbie optimism. Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast